What's next for MTS Advanced HD? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
Did you ask about the degrading picture quality?
Hey Mozza,
I didn't ask, i should have but I forgot since I haven't seen any macroblocking on my TV. I watch a lot of sports and I just haven't seen it.

But I am dropping my the Home Show after work, I will drop by the MTS booth and ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 11:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Yeah, I guess that's just a design flaw/limitation. I hear that all the time. With the classic system, there were a few times where I encountered a house where I set up two MTS TV services in it! So they had 6 streams in total.

I think there was only one time where the CSR gve them the 2nd account at no charge (I bet they got in trouble for that!) but I think the second stream was locked onto basic + 9 with the 9 most popular themes only available.
I would be VERY happy if they allowed me 6 total streams, with only HD on the second PVR!
post #78 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 07:36 PM

Quote:
They have Aspect Ratio settings already, somewhere else in the menu. What we need is Aspect ratio changes "on the fly", using just one button.
I just got hooked up with the HD system and the tech told me that MTS will be upgrading the firmware on the boxes next week that will fix the 4:3 bars on the SD channels.

post #79 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniguana_01 View Post
I just got hooked up with the HD system and the tech told me that MTS will be upgrading the firmware on the boxes next week that will fix the 4:3 bars on the SD channels.
What do you think would be a fix?

I don't want MTS or the STB manufacturer or TV manufacturer deciding on my behalf to either distort or cut off parts of a picture so that a 4:3 broadcast fills a 16:9 screen.

Dave S.
post #80 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschell_2000 View Post
What do you think would be a fix?

I don't want MTS or the STB manufacturer or TV manufacturer deciding on my behalf to either distort or cut off parts of a picture so that a 4:3 broadcast fills a 16:9 screen.

Dave S.
They have the new software at the Home Show, I posted a run down on what htey showed me in a new thread, but basically the enter button now lets you change your aspect ratio from normal to stretch to zoom. you can choose what you want and it sticks to all channels until you change it. it works really slick.
post #81 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
They have the new software at the Home Show, I posted a run down on what htey showed me in a new thread, but basically the enter button now lets you change your aspect ratio from normal to stretch to zoom. you can choose what you want and it sticks to all channels until you change it. it works really slick.
What about on HD channels that are already strecthed? I use my aspect button on my tv to stretch to Sd channels, but the guide and the channels that are already strecthed don't look right. Will this change affect them?
post #82 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
I suppose this could be useful on older TV sets.

My Panasonic already has a button for this, so MTS replicating that function doesn't do much for me.

Dave S.
post #83 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 07:05 PM

Quote:
That's an amazing uncompetitive package they've got there. Why split the US networks off of "free HD"?

Nice bait and switch, MTS. I'm interested to see what my sign-up promo turns into after this. By my calculation, I'll have to spend $7 more a month to get what I get now, and what I was promised to get when I signed up.

At least they added Discovery HD though. That's nice. I wonder if these added channels are why the quality is starting to suffer, though...

EDIT: Just noticed TSN2 in there, contrary to what I was told last month... and History HD? That's somewhat exciting.
Yah it already cost way more than Shaw's HD package which is only $9.00 and includes all these channels expect the time shift and HiFi channels. Not sure why MTS is going this route will have to wait and see I guess.
post #84 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniguana_01 View Post
Yah it already cost way more than Shaw's HD package which is only $9.00 and includes all these channels expect the time shift and HiFi channels. Not sure why MTS is going this route will have to wait and see I guess.
Do you mind spelling out how you get that $9 figure?

I just looked at Shaw on the web, and it looks like I would have to pay $69.95 for a HDTV package that includes the same channels.

Dave S.
post #85 of 106 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone heard a release date for the firmware that will give us on-screen caller ID? It seems like it was 3 or 4 weeks ago that MTS said it was coming soon.
post #86 of 106 (permalink) Old 2010-03-08, 10:59 AM

Memo said a phased roll out is planned for march.

post #87 of 106 (permalink) Old 2010-03-08, 07:47 PM
tux

I personally have Shaw Digital Basic ($35.95/mo) with an HD PVR. The HD box automatically entitles me to ch 200-209 (PBS HD,NBC HD,ABC HD,CBS HD,FOX HD & timeshifts + CBC HD Toronto).

I don't get any of the SD channels listed on the Shaw site as Tier 1, Tier 2, or Tier 3 (such as SHOWCASE, SPIKE, CNN, HISTORY, etc), but the HD Plus add-on for $9.00/mo entitles me to most of channels 210-231 (incl. CTV HD, SCORE HD, TSN HD, TSN2 HD, WGN HD, HISTORY HD, Encore Ave 3 HD, etc)
post #88 of 106 (permalink) Old 2010-03-08, 11:07 PM

dschell - Shaw's HD packages are as follows, basic HD which is included with the box and HD Plus which currently covers all the other specialty HD channels and only costs $9/mo. Of course for MC HD or SC HD you need to subscribe to them. It only costs $69.95 if you have the 3 digital tiers. Basic $35.95/mo and HD Plus $9/mo should cost about $50/mo total.
post #89 of 106 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 10:52 AM

What's new? We gots our own forums, we dids!

(Finally!)
post #90 of 106 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 12:25 PM

Yes finally MTS has its own forum. There certainly is enough posting and threads to warrant it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in