What's next for MTS Advanced HD? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 01:49 PM

New HD Channels/Packages

I just got some more mail from MTS.

On Oct. 26 they are rolling out new HD Channels and re-organizing the packages.

Free HD - $0/month
CBC, WGN, Showcase, A&E, Radio-Canada, CBC Newsworld, APTN, NG, CNN, The Score, Speed, Big Ten Network HD.

HD Starter - $6/month
CTV, ABC, City, NBC, PBS, HBO, Superchannel, CBS, Global, TLC, Fox, Encore Avenue, Movie Channel

HD Timeshift - $3/month (You don't need to subscribe to the SD equivalent of channels in this Group)
CBC, Global, NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, PBS, CTV

HD Discovery - $4/month
Dixcovery, History

HD Sports - $3/month
Sportsnet (all 4 feeds), TSN, TSN2, Raptors

HD Hi-Fi - $4/month
Rush, Equator, Treasure, Oasis

Last edited by Lorne; 2009-09-24 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Updated info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 01:54 PM

Also additions to SD Family

In the same letter I mentioned above, they also say the SD Family Theme Group will be expanded and will count as 2 Theme Groups:

Treehouse, Treehouse on Demand, Family, Teletoon, TCM, AMC, Disney Playhouse, Game Show Network, NASA TV.

Last edited by Lorne; 2009-09-24 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Correction
post #63 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 02:19 PM

That's an amazing uncompetitive package they've got there. Why split the US networks off of "free HD"?

Nice bait and switch, MTS. I'm interested to see what my sign-up promo turns into after this. By my calculation, I'll have to spend $7 more a month to get what I get now, and what I was promised to get when I signed up.

At least they added Discovery HD though. That's nice. I wonder if these added channels are why the quality is starting to suffer, though...

EDIT: Just noticed TSN2 in there, contrary to what I was told last month... and History HD? That's somewhat exciting.

post #64 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 02:26 PM
Veteran

Assuming MTS will follow through on this next month...it actually appears that MTS might now be in the ballpark...as far as HD channels go.

It appears that they have roughly the same or more HD channels than Bell now...it would be interesting if someone did a comparison.

I'm still not sold on this one PVR/3 streams per household though...it just wouldn't work for me...

It also worries me that the HD PQ is apparently already starting to suffer...before these new HD channels have been released...although I assume they are in test mode...
post #65 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 03:52 PM

I called MTS and asked about the Time Shift HD channel, basically I wanted to know if I had to subscribe to the SD version first to get the HD version. I was told that you do not need to subscribe to the SD version of those channels to subscribe to the HD, so it really is only 50 cents more to drop SD and take the HD versions. So I don't see an issue with the seperate package.

Mozza,
you lost me on the Bait and Switch and $7 more comment. When you signed up did they promise you all these new channels? Seems to me all the new channels are in new packages, my HD programming costs didn't go up with this.

dm_4u,
why do you say "PQ is apparently already starting to suffer" I have seem no PQ issues at all with HD, I saw the one comment about a hockey game, but I have been watching lots of sports and have not seen any issues.

I am not sure how quality would suffer at all with IPTV, correct me if I am wrong here, but we get 3 streams and only the streams I pick come through to me, and MTS adding more channels has nothing to do with the bandwidth I have for my 3 streams.
post #66 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 05:03 PM
Rookie

WHOOOOOO !!!!!!

Finally TSN 2 ! I told ya things were sounding kinda promising !
post #67 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 05:21 PM

I don't think there will be an increase in cost unless you take the new Theme Groups (Discovery or Time Shift).
The letter says:
Quote:
"As shown below, we have simplified our HD channel packaging, but there will be no change to your monthly billing. Effective October 26, 2009, a New Free HD category will be added with channels that you can have access to with no additional charge when you subscribe to the Digital version of the channel."
post #68 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
I don't think there will be an increase in cost unless you take the new Theme Groups (Discovery or Time Shift).
The letter says:
I don't understand what the letter means when it says "there will be no change to your monthly billing". Will people be able to get the new FREE HD theme group without paying for HD service?

I understand that my billing won't change - the old HD Theme group was $6/month, and the combo of new FREE HD and HD Starter (same channels) is also $6.

A person could make the argument that time shift group under SD only cost $2.50/month while now we will be billed $3/month.

Nothing to get too excited about I guess.

Dave S.
post #69 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 07:26 PM

Does anyone know if when the total home DVR comes out if they will charge extra for it or will it still be just $5 a month?
post #70 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 09:49 PM

Quote:
you lost me on the Bait and Switch and $7 more comment. When you signed up did they promise you all these new channels? Seems to me all the new channels are in new packages, my HD programming costs didn't go up with this.
Right now, I get the HD starter package for free (was included in the promo), and I was paying $3 a month for the Sports HD. Now I'll probably get the "Free HD" package for $0, but then have to pay $6 for the Starter package, and then an additiona $3 for the sports, plus $4 for Discovery. What they've done is exactly what they accused Shaw of doing - putting packages together, and requiring you to get one to get the other. I'm not impressed.

I watched pre-season hockey again tonight, and the ice was full of macroblocks permanently. This is NOT good. What they've done is compressed the signal. I don't know why, but it's happening.
post #71 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 01:36 AM

So what you mean is that they've probably increased the compression across the board to fit more channels in the same bandwidth?
post #72 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 08:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
dm_4u,
why do you say "PQ is apparently already starting to suffer" I have seem no PQ issues at all with HD, I saw the one comment about a hockey game, but I have been watching lots of sports and have not seen any issues.
I am not sure how quality would suffer at all with IPTV, correct me if I am wrong here, but we get 3 streams and only the streams I pick come through to me, and MTS adding more channels has nothing to do with the bandwidth I have for my 3 streams.
If there is starting to be macroblocking issues for hockey already...it sounds to me that Macman is bang on...

This is how it began with Bell...compressing until some sports is unwatchable.

As far as the streams go...what I meant was 3 streams (2-HD and 1-sd)...are simply not enough for my household...especially the fact you can only have one PVR.
post #73 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 09:32 AM

Mozza,

I had the free preview of HD still as well, so I called MTS to ask this same question, here is what I was told. Basically the $6 charge was just moved for a surcharge to the Starter pack, it would not affect existing promos, and there is no rate change for customers.

Also asked if there was an additional charge for the whole home pvr, and there is no additional charges for it.
post #74 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 10:18 AM

Did you ask about the degrading picture quality?
post #75 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 10:31 AM

Quote:
what I meant was 3 streams (2-HD and 1-sd)...are simply not enough for my household...especially the fact you can only have one PVR.
Yeah, I guess that's just a design flaw/limitation. I hear that all the time. With the classic system, there were a few times where I encountered a house where I set up two MTS TV services in it! So they had 6 streams in total.

I think there was only one time where the CSR gve them the 2nd account at no charge (I bet they got in trouble for that!) but I think the second stream was locked onto basic + 9 with the 9 most popular themes only available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in