What's next for MTS Advanced HD? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I went to the upcoming Home Show site ( http://autumnhomeshow.ca/visitors/exhibitor-list/ ) and MTS is listed as having a booth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 07:05 PM

Question MTS confuses me

A friend of mine who lives about 7 or 8 blocks from me in the same area is getting the new MTS Advanced HD tomorrow, yet when i inquires they said it would be next year. I just dont understand. Why would they not do one area of the city at a time?
post #48 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 03:08 AM

Exclamation "Classic" and "Ultimate"

I just found out that MTS will soon be marketing their TV services as "Classic TV" for the old platform, and "Ultimate TV" for the new IPTV platform, so that people won't be as confused about it.

Oh, and they'll be claiming "up to 32 Mbps download speed with the new Lightning Bolt High Speed Internet plan" Finally a decent jump in speeds! I don't exactly remember, but since ADSL came out in the late 90s, I don't think there's been this big of a speed increase at one time. I bet it'll be expensive though.

post #49 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 04:53 PM
Rookie

On September 9th 2009 I sent this email to MTS reguarding TSN 2:

"Please get TSN2 as soon as possible. The Toronto Raptors season starts on October 29th 2009, and the first 2 games are on that channel, along with 25 other Raptor games throughout the season. We neeeeeeed TSN2."

This is the reply I received a day later:

"Good morning. I am pleased to report that MTS Allstream is currently working towards adding TSN2 to our channel selection very soon. Once TSN2 is available, we will notify all of our MTS TV customers."

That kind of sounds promising ? Right ?
post #50 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 09:11 PM

Not when I got a reply saying they were unable to get rights to TSN2 for the coming year...

"Very soon" to MTS is usually 14-18 months.
post #51 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-19, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
Not when I got a reply saying they were unable to get rights to TSN2 for the coming year...

"Very soon" to MTS is usually 14-18 months.
haha, so true since MTS is about 4 years behind everyone else.
post #52 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-19, 03:54 PM

Yeah, MTS just finally added the Accessible Channel after I had inquired about it for several months. They always said it was coming soon and it never came until recently.
post #53 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 10:28 AM

So does anyone have any better idea what these upgrades are bringing? Has anyone seen any difference?

I noticed there's a "blank" line in the "Settings" menu now, that wasn't there a week ago.
post #54 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 12:30 PM

I saw that blank as well, with it in the system menu I am hoping it means they are adding some new system tools like - aspect ratio..... *crosses fingers*
post #55 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 01:50 PM

I was just told that it was an issue with upgrades. Nothing specific yet, just that they are aware of it.
post #56 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

I had a tech in a couple of days ago and all he could recall was that caller ID and Whole Home PVR would be a part of the upgrades. I asked about the new HD channels and he said more were coming but couldn't recall which ones.
post #57 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-21, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I saw that blank as well, with it in the system menu I am hoping it means they are adding some new system tools like - aspect ratio..... *crosses fingers*
They have Aspect Ratio settings already, somewhere else in the menu. What we need is Aspect ratio changes "on the fly", using just one button.
post #58 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

I agree - a one button aspect ratio change would be great. There actually is a un-used button on the remote that says "aspect" on it. Let's hope they make it functional.

As well, I rec'vd a letter from MTS this morning saying that in order to complete their 2nd phase of upgrades, which will include "exciting new channels, theme groups, and amazing new features" they will be preforming a firmware update between Sept 29thh and Oct 2nd in the middle of the night.
post #59 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 02:45 PM

Upgrade Update

A notice in today's mail says the "second phase" of upgrades will take place between Sept. 29 and Oct. 2.
They promise it will prepare our TVs for "exciting new channels, Theme Groups and amazing new features" to HDTV service.
The upgrade will be a software upgrade and reset of STB's, and is to take about 20 minutes sometime between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m.

Last edited by Lorne; 2009-09-22 at 02:47 PM. Reason: More info
post #60 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
They have Aspect Ratio settings already, somewhere else in the menu. What we need is Aspect ratio changes "on the fly", using just one button.
Why not make it auto adjust like Shaw's does?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in