What's next for MTS Advanced HD? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-15, 11:55 AM
Veteran

I have the "other" dilemna...it's offered in my neighborhood...but it's far too limited to be of use.

With only 3 streams coming into the house (and only two of which are HD)...it really limits what you can do...

If two people are watching different HD shows...or a couple is watching an HD show...and recording an HD show...that leaves the kids watching one SD show..and if you have more than two tv's...that leaves nothing on the others.

What's worse...is if you use Video on Demand...(regardless of the programming)...it burns an HD stream.

Add to the fact MTS has no Western feed of HD-Network programming...only one HD-RSN channel...and no TSN2-HD...and that's three strikes and I'm out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-15, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
I have the "other" dilemna...it's offered in my neighborhood...but it's far too limited to be of use.

With only 3 streams coming into the house (and only two of which are HD)...it really limits what you can do...

If two people are watching different HD shows...or a couple is watching an HD show...and recording an HD show...that leaves the kids watching one SD show..and if you have more than two tv's...that leaves nothing on the others.

What's worse...is if you use Video on Demand...(regardless of the programming)...it burns an HD stream.

Add to the fact MTS has no Western feed of HD-Network programming...only one HD-RSN channel...and no TSN2-HD...and that's three strikes and I'm out.
Wow you have 3 HD capable TV's in your home? You are way ahead of the curve as I doubt most people have more than one, and only a few have 2 or more.

Must have cost you a fortune to buy 3 HD boxes from Shaw/Expressvu (not sure who you provider is), or do they give you a deal for more than one?

Personally I expect the whole Home PVR to change the way we watch TV even more and we will recording a tone of stuff to the PVR.

Oh btw, I heard on the weekend that MTS is launching something like 20 more HD channels next month. Now I did hear this second hand from someone at the football game who heard if from a MTS rep. - anything to take our minds off the beating the Bombers took So you got to think with that many coming it should include some time shifted HD.

Does anyone know if MTS will be at the Home Show this year? Don't they normally have a booth and announce a bunch of stuff? Might be worth a trip down there just to ask some questions.
post #33 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-15, 02:01 PM
Veteran

I do have 3 HD tv's...2 Plasmas and one RPTV...plus a 29" SDTV.

1 - 9200 (dual tuner HD-PVR plus OTA option for recording 3 HD programs simultaneously)
1 - 6100
2 - 3100's

That's 5 streams...(not including OTA)...3 in HD.

Not as expensive as you may think.

If MTS let me have 2 PVR's at once...and doubled the streams...then doubled their HD channels...I'd switch in a heartbeat...

I hope they do release many more channels...and I hope they make a go of it...as I would always rather buy local.

Yeah...the Bomber game...let's not go there...and as far as the Autumn Home Show goes...it's scheduled for September 25-27...and MTS was there last year...and the AHS website hasn't updated their list of 2010 exhibiters yet.

post #34 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-15, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Oh btw, I heard on the weekend that MTS is launching something like 20 more HD channels next month. Now I did hear this second hand from someone at the football game who heard if from a MTS rep. - anything to take our minds off the beating the Bombers took So you got to think with that many coming it should include some time shifted HD.
20 channels? I find that really hard to believe... I could see 20 channels TOTAL though, perhaps.
post #35 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-15, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
20 channels? I find that really hard to believe... I could see 20 channels TOTAL though, perhaps.
This makes me wonder about your motivation for posting here - are you a troll?

The reason I have to ask that is because there are already 30 HD channels available on MTS HDTV.

Dave S.
post #36 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-15, 09:50 PM

Quote:
This makes me wonder about your motivation for posting here - are you a troll?

The reason I have to ask that is because there are already 30 HD channels available on MTS HDTV.
I'm no troll - I'm a customer. I was an MTS TV customer years ago too.

30 channels... but how many of those are PPV? Or those looped footage channels?

It's pretty common for a TV provider to make huge claims... only to deliver one channel. That's my point. 30 HD channels added is a bit over-the-top, really.
post #37 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I'm no troll - I'm a customer. I was an MTS TV customer years ago too.

30 channels... but how many of those are PPV? Or those looped footage channels?
You sure you're a customer? I would think a customer would know where to look on the MTS web site to see the channel lineup.

If you had looked at it, you would have seen that none of those 30 are PPV or "looped footage channels".

So the question is still hanging there - why are you bad-mouthing MTS here?

Dave S.
post #38 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 12:07 AM

Oddly enough, I work with this stuff every day, and until now I never even confirmed that it was 30 HD channels that MTS offers. Turns out, it actually is 30, go figure. They have them split into 3 themes. But they say in fine print that you have to be subscribed to the SD equivalent of that channel to get it in HD. So even if you get the "HD Starter" theme, you still won't get all of them unless you subscribe, for example, to the Premium Movies 5 pack ($19/mo last time I checked)

Isn't Shaw one of the one's who advertises like 50 HD "channels" but is actually counting the PPV, VOD, or whatever? (I'm not bashing Shaw)

On a side note, I find a lot of customers say to me "They told me I'd have all the channels for X months". I don't know if they're just trying to pull a fast one on me (why I don't know) or if the sales people are actually telling them this. I have no control over what promo's they give. Puts me in an awkward position when I tell them that's not how it works, and that you can only have X themes on at one time. Sheesh...

As far as looped footage, do you mean sim-subbing? I have no idea, but I think someone else here has confirmed it (might not have been MTS, though).

Oh, I saw a stack of sheets to be given to customers to let them know about periodic service interruptions or something while they do the upgrades. They might have it on their site, too.

FYI, I'm not partial to any provider. I'm just a contract installer for MTS TV.
post #39 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 09:10 AM

As I originally posted, that was second hand information, so I don't know if it is true or not. I hope it is true cause even if it is close to that it means we have a shot at TSN2 Discovery HD and some time shifted HD.

Macman, I understand the reasoning for the SD requirement is that it is common for most Channel Providers (TSN, Discovery, CBS....) to demand that in order for a customer to get their channel in HD they must subscribe to the SD equivalent first. I think is so they can ensure they get paid twice by the cable companies, once for each channel.
post #40 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 09:31 AM

Wow guys take it easy here....when the much loved or hated MTS gets it right and all the features are in place with their new HD PVR system, will be hard to beat. It has a lot of attributes that I may even look at.

The point here is when it happens, they are a notoriously cautious slow company and the competition may pass (again) then by the time they get it right. Deal breakers for me are no West time shift, mising a whack of stations I want now and the real biggie is that it is not in my area yet.........

Time will tell how well they get right or wrong, but for my money crappy (customer service) Bell or crappy (customer service) MTS but at this time Bell has the better HD Dual Turner PVR`s so I will stay for the time being...but I am always looking..
post #41 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 09:48 AM

If you look at my posting history, you'd see that I'd been with MTS before they had ANY HD service.

The "looped" footage channels are the Oasis/Treasure/Rush/Equator channels. They have about 6 original shows per channel, and they get "looped" for a month or 6. I had them when I was with Bell, and hardly watched them.

I also didn't count RaptorsHDTV... I guess I should, although I doubt many people watch it right now either.

I've stated elsewhere that MTS has said we won't be getting TSN2 for at least a year if ever. When I asked about Discovery HD, they said Discovery SD was already available. So you can see why I'm not optimistic about "30 more HD channels". The most I see happening is maybe getting timeshifted networks... adding maybe 8 more HD channels.

If I'm wrong, and we see AN ADDITIONAL 30 HD channels added in the next 6 months... I'll donate $20 to the charity of your choice, Dave.
post #42 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 10:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The "looped" footage channels are the Oasis/Treasure/Rush/Equator channels. They have about 6 original shows per channel, and they get "looped" for a month or 6. I had them when I was with Bell, and hardly watched them.

I've stated elsewhere that MTS has said we won't be getting TSN2 for at least a year if ever. When I asked about Discovery HD, they said Discovery SD was already available.
MTS is a true Winnipeg business...following the lead of their (wayyyyy) behind the times politicians...one of which cost us the Jets...but "Full of it Man" will remain nameless.

A year for TSN2-HD...if ever...yikes...Discovery SD is available...how quaint...with that backwards thinking...why do we need any high def other than the only 4 HD channels (mentioned above) that don't have an SD channel...btw...I like those 4 channels.
post #43 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 11:48 AM

Quote:
OK, if that's what you mean by "looped", then you could go ahead and add the Movie Central and HBO channels to that list. I don't know how many new movies get added per month, but it's not many.

I thought you were referring to preview channels.

Quote:
If I'm wrong, and we see AN ADDITIONAL 30 HD channels added in the next 6 months... I'll donate $20 to the charity of your choice, Dave.
That's sporting of you, Mozza, but didn't the original rumour by SomeRandomGuy refer to 20 new channels?

Dave S.
post #44 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 12:19 PM

Quote:
That's sporting of you, Mozza, but didn't the original rumour by SomeRandomGuy refer to 20 new channels?
You have a good point. If we see an additional 20 HD channels added to the MTS lineup before July 1st, 2010, I'll donate $30 to the charity of your choice. That evens it out - I'll just flip the numbers! Note - I won't count PPV or VOD channels as "new".
post #45 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 03:32 PM

whooooo, how did my third hand rumor get dragged into some sort of bet..... LOL

I honestly believe that there will be some new channels coming, I what I heard was right and it is a lot of HD, since I find I have a hard time watching anything SD now - kind of like trying to listen to my favorite music on a cassette tape .

Back to the other part of my question from earlier, does anyone know if MTS will be at the home show? I seem to recall in the past they were there. It would be great to ask someone questions directly about what is coming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in