What's next for MTS Advanced HD? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-06-09, 10:59 AM
Veteran

Anyone know for sure...how many HD streams that they will be sending to houses for this?

Apparently right now it's only 3 streams...two of which are HD...which is useless to me...

And to make matters worse...their vaunted "in demand" service...takes up an entire HD stream...when you use it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-06-21, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

MTS has now given us the ability to change our channel line-up on-line. This was previously only available to MTS Classic subscribers.
post #18 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-08-29, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I had a tech in last week to deal with a couple of issues and he told me that a "huge firmware update was expected in September," and that they were hoping to have the whole home PVR service running by October.

post #19 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-08-30, 12:01 AM

I sure hope they find a way to change the aspect ratio on the fly as well.
post #20 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-08-30, 09:20 AM
Veteran

What is the matter with the aspect ratio?
post #21 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-08-30, 02:18 PM

I think it's that people are bothered that the SD channels have the black bars on the sides (and sometimes all around, like CBC 2) and it's only full screen when you're on HD channels that are playing an HD show.

The only way around this is to play with your TV's aspect ratio, or set the MTS STB to standard def 4:3
post #22 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 12:12 AM

Yep, that's the problem. Shaw's system automatically stretches the picture (if you set it up that way), and the guide adjusts as well. Right now I have to stretch the picture on my TV if I want, and the guide stretches with it.

The other issue I found out today (and my wife hates me for now?)...? You can't do a "genre" search like you can with Shaw's system. Can't just search "movies" or "sports" or whatever... just titles and "names", which is about the most useless search ever.
post #23 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-08, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

I rec'vd a letter today from MTS stating that they were beginning system upgrades from Sept 14th - Oct 9th in preparation of new HD Channels, Theme Groups, and additional enhanced features to their HD service.

Hopefully this means whole home PVR is coming and Spike HD.
post #24 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-08, 09:05 PM

Angry Still waiting for this Service

I live in the Island Lakes area of the city and the rep I talked to said the new Advanced HD service will not be available till next year(2010), another one said it will be available in October in my area. Not sure who to believe. Its very frustrating.
post #25 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-08, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I rec'vd a letter today from MTS stating that they were beginning system upgrades from Sept 14th - Oct 9th in preparation of new HD Channels, Theme Groups, and additional enhanced features to their HD service.

Hopefully this means whole home PVR is coming and Spike HD.
I hope Discovery HD comes first, as well as some time shifts in HD. I know TSN2 is off the table until 2011 though.

It'll probably be some SD channels, and us getting shafted on theme packages.
post #26 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-09, 09:43 AM
Veteran

Why is TSN2-HD off the table until 2011???
post #27 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-09, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Why is TSN2-HD off the table until 2011???
I contacted MTS a few weeks back asking about it. They said they have been unable to secure the rights to add it to their system, which actually means they don't want to add it yet because they don't have the room (TSN2 is lobbying providers to add the channel, not denying). They said there are no plans to add it now, which means the soonest we could possibly see it happen is late 2010... if at all.

Does anyone have any info on what the "upgrades" are going to be?
post #28 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-09, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
I contacted MTS a few weeks back asking about it. They said they have been unable to secure the rights to add it to their system, which actually means they don't want to add it yet because they don't have the room (TSN2 is lobbying providers to add the channel, not denying). They said there are no plans to add it now, which means the soonest we could possibly see it happen is late 2010... if at all.

Does anyone have any info on what the "upgrades" are going to be?
unable to secure rights generally means that they can't reach terms. Now if I remember correctly a year or so ago there was a dispute with Rogers and TSN over the fees for TSN2. Given that I doubt MTS has any issue with channel room as they are apparently adding channels in the next couple months, I suspect it has to do with the fees that TSN may want for TSN2. I could be wrong on that but it seems more liekly than no channel space.

btw I also got the letter that wpgjets2004 got, I called MTS and they said Whole Home PVR, amoung others. no real details on what else.
post #29 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-14, 06:39 PM
Rookie

I'm also quite frustrated, I have been told by MTS repetitively for over a year that I shouldn’t switch because of this new HD service (the old HD service is not very good). I live in the Linden Ridge area and the new HD service is still supposedly unavailable. I have also received all sorts of mixed messages when I call in about the availability. Does any one else have the new HD service in Linden Ridge??
post #30 of 106 (permalink) Old 2009-09-15, 03:06 AM

It all depends on the DSLAM cabinet in your neighborhood. These cabinets are often a few blocks apart (there are a LOT of them!) The MTS crews are going around upgrading the components inside these cabinets, which takes time.

I'm just trying to be patient, too. This new system isn't available in very many places yet. Just little pockets here and there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in