MTS Advanced HDTV Now Available in Winnipeg - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-12, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I'm shocked that no one has answered this!
Relax - there's probably only a dozen people who have the service right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-12, 11:31 AM

I would be very surprised if MTS didn't do the simulcast thing for the same channels as the regular service. I'm not wild about it, but that seems to be the way things go in Canada.
post #63 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-12, 05:13 PM

You should file a complaint with the CRTC.

post #64 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-15, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
Does anyone know if MTS substitutes Global and/or CTV for the American High Definition Network feeds from North Dakota/Minnesota?

ie...during CSI you get CTV commercials?
I don't think this is the case, I can't recall seeing local ads on the US channels. I might be wrong on this though
post #65 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-16, 02:57 AM

I went to a friends tonight and was shocked to see that they had the MTS HDTV service.. Three of the TV's had those new Motorola boxs, she even had an iPod charging in one via the USB..

The guide is beautiful, if you've ever used Vista Media Center, you know what i'm talking about. It slides in, and you see the channel your watching behind the guide, AND when you 'highlight' over a channel you see whats on that channel ALMOST IMMEDIATELY in a square box in the bottom left corner, its a beautiful guide, and very fast.. and has VOD built in to the menu..

PVR is great, works well. Only thing I noticed was you couldnt "slow fast forward / slow rewind" in slow-mo, etc? you know? Yeah, that didn't work.

and VOD worked great, it's almost built-in. anyways, I think Microsoft did a great job on this and its such a nice menu system. Shaw better watch out.
post #66 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-16, 09:15 AM

"she even had an iPod charging in one via the USB.. "

COOL, I got to try that tonight
post #67 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-16, 11:49 AM

I got my MTS HD PVR installed yesterday.

Only the main TV can currently access the PVR. At some point all the STB's in the house are supposed to have access to the PVR capabilities.

As well, one of my STB's keeps sending a "No Signal" message to my TV. A repair guy is supposed to be coming over today to repair or replace it.

The guide - looks great but...no reminder functions, no display of a shows upcoming times/channels and cannot search by sport (eg hockey). I know this is nit picking but it is bugging me.

The install tech told me the USB ports were not operational when I asked about adding an external hard drive. He did say that they may one day have a MTS hardrive for purchase to expand the PVR's capabilities.
post #68 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-16, 08:50 PM

how long does it take the tech guy to install? it becuase i'm getting mine installed on monday
post #69 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-16, 09:05 PM

It took the 2 tech's about 4 1/2 hours including an hour for lunch.

A guy came by today and switched one of my STB's that was freezing but we later just tried running it through Component Cables instead of HDMI and that, so far, is working.

He told me that MTS expects to do their full roll-out with all of the HD PVR boxes capabilities this fall. This will included full house DVR, 4 streams (up from 3), Caller ID on the TV, and the capability to access your PVR from a cpu/cell phone.

Exciting times.
post #70 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-16, 09:11 PM

A further problem that I have found is that when you go into the STB's settings and put the output onto either 720p or 1080i (in order to watch HD properly) and you switch channels to a SD feed (eg the 6 o'clock CKY news) the picture is displayed in 4x3 with the 2 black bars. ARRRGH.

I phoned into to ask if they would be putting out a patch to fix this and was told that if I want to watch SD in full screen I have to continually go into the STB's settings and switch the display between 720p and 4x3 depending if I'm watching HD or SD.

?huh?

Hopefully as more customers get the HD PVR's MTS will make more and more advances in delivering what will be the best HD PVR experience in Winnipeg.
post #71 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-17, 12:44 AM
Rookie

So which areas of the city are you guys getting it in?
post #72 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-17, 09:18 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgjets2004 View Post
A further problem that I have found is that when you go into the STB's settings and put the output onto either 720p or 1080i (in order to watch HD properly) and you switch channels to a SD feed (eg the 6 o'clock CKY news) the picture is displayed in 4x3 with the 2 black bars. ARRRGH.

I phoned into to ask if they would be putting out a patch to fix this and was told that if I want to watch SD in full screen I have to continually go into the STB's settings and switch the display between 720p and 4x3 depending if I'm watching HD or SD.

?huh?

Hopefully as more customers get the HD PVR's MTS will make more and more advances in delivering what will be the best HD PVR experience in Winnipeg.
I believe most, if not all STB's are like this...(black or grey bars on SD)...Bell is no different except it's as easy as one click on the remote to stretch the SD picture to partial zoom...which incidently is quite good.

If the MTS remote does not work like this...then I would suggest having your HDTV adjusted to full (in the TV's picture settings) and it will be seamless moving from HD to SD...and it saves image retention on Plasma's.
post #73 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-17, 09:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
He told me that MTS expects to do their full roll-out with all of the HD PVR boxes capabilities this fall. This will included full house DVR, 4 streams (up from 3), Caller ID on the TV, and the capability to access your PVR from a cpu/cell phone.
Exciting times.
My understanding of the 3 streams is that you have two HD streams and one SD stream and if you decide to use "video on-demand" it requires use of one of the HD streams.

This for me is useless...because (as it currently sits) if the wife is watching something in HD and I am too...then recording is left to 1 SD stream...with no pic in pic for either of us...and the kids can only watch dvd's or use the playstation.

My question is this...did the Tech say whether the 4 streams in the "whole house" PVR scenario will all be HD or if you were allowed to have 2 PVR's doubling the streams to 8?
post #74 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-17, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
My understanding of the 3 streams is that you have two HD streams and one SD stream and if you decide to use "video on-demand" it requires use of one of the HD streams.

This for me is useless...because (as it currently sits) if the wife is watching something in HD and I am too...then recording is left to 1 SD stream...with no pic in pic for either of us...and the kids can only watch dvd's or use the playstation.

My question is this...did the Tech say whether the 4 streams in the "whole house" PVR scenario will all be HD or if you were allowed to have 2 PVR's doubling the streams to 8?
I think it was going to be 4 streams for viewing/recording but I didn't think to ask if the extra stream would be HD or not.

If you think of it, ask your install tech on Monday. I'd like to know the answer.
post #75 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-17, 10:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I think it was going to be 4 streams for viewing/recording but I didn't think to ask if the extra stream would be HD or not.

If you think of it, ask your install tech on Monday. I'd like to know the answer.
Actually I'm not getting MTS installed...not just because of what I mentioned above...but MTS would have to add more HD channels and have at least 4 HD streams plus at least one SD stream for me to even consider the switch from Bell...as right now with Bell I have 5 streams and could bump that to 8 (just by adding more lines from my inside switch) if I required it...and all are HD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in