MTS Advanced HDTV Now Available in Winnipeg - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 10:55 AM

On their site it says you must have the digital version of channels to get the HD. Anyone know how many themes you need for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 10:58 AM

dm_4u, that's what it says. I think it has something to do with the licence agreements with the stations.
Quote:
YOU MUST HAVE THE DIGITAL EQUIVALENT OF HD CHANNELS IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THEM IN HD.
Edit: arminia beat me to it. My guess is that you can pick the themes you want and you get the equivalent HD channels. If you don't want a particular channel, you don't have to order it to get the rest of the HD channels. For example, if you're not interested in National Geographic then you don't have to order it to get the rest of the HD channels in the HD Starter.
post #33 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 11:34 AM
Veteran

I really hope this changes with time because after looking at the Theme's...you would have to order quite a few (14?) if you wanted all the HD and let's face it...that's what we are all interested in.
I would love to see one provider come out with an All-HD pack...where you get it all...plus their basic programming package for a reasonable amount.
I don't need the SD equivalent of my HD channels...and for those that do...fine...let them pay for it...me...I'll never watch them.

post #34 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 12:14 PM

I checked their programming and could get away with 6 themes. So having to get 14 themes to get HD is a ripoff.
post #35 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 01:43 PM

Thanks Dr.Dave, kind of a huge issue, but maybe with 3 feeds at once not as big as I think. DM yes you must pay for the SD feed in most instances to get the HD feed is what I was told yesterday. Not ready in my area for a few months, but I am tied to Bell till Dec. Both positive and negative aspects for MTS, negative is that I need 3 PVR`s and 2 that have HD to keep the family happy. MTS looks to be way more expensive to have it that way.
post #36 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 02:18 PM

recon, the way that AT&T in the U.S. has it set up is that there is 1 PVR for the home and you can watch any program from any TV. MTS has an earlier version of the software and hopefully will update it before Dec. So your situation would require 3 STB x $3/month + $5/month for the PVR service ($14/month). That is a lot cheaper than renting 2 HD PVRs and an SD PVR from Bell. ($50/month?)
post #37 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 02:49 PM
Veteran

However, with only 25 hours of HD recording time...feeding an entire family would fill the Hard drive up in no time...as opposed to those Bell-HD PVR's.

I think the idea of the "home PVR" is great...but only for SD at the moment...perhaps if they bumped up the Hard Drive to 500GB it would be good for HD as well.

And...being able to purchase the Receiver through Bell...you would save money after x amount of years...no?
post #38 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 05:32 PM
Rookie

does anybody know if the hdtv service is available in the north east part of the city?
post #39 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-04, 11:46 AM

I've read the manual (on-line) and am unable to determine if you can attach an external hard drive.....The box does have a USB input on the front and on the back which leads me to believe that you can add a hard drive but.....

Can anyone from Portage La P or someone in WPG who haS their HDPVR confirm.

Thank you.
post #40 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-05, 12:17 AM

If you have the old Motorola HD STB box is it junk now or what? I've had it kickin around and never sold it. Can i get the full 30 channels of HD or is it limited to the 8 or 12 or whatever they were previously at?
post #41 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-05, 01:37 AM

Quote:
recon, the way that AT&T in the U.S. has it set up is that there is 1 PVR for the home and you can watch any program from any TV. MTS has an earlier version of the software and hopefully will update it before Dec. So your situation would require 3 STB x $3/month + $5/month for the PVR service ($14/month). That is a lot cheaper than renting 2 HD PVRs and an SD PVR from Bell. ($50/month?)
Well with my Bell now I own one 9242 (picked up cheap from the Visions fire) and rent one 9242 which is free for the next year and on a retention package for my programing that gives me 30% off and I also own another 5900. I guess if MTS is in the cards then I trade one devil for another....lol both $hitty companies.

Yeah I looked at the AT&T package a few months ago, looks real cool, I think that is what MTS will migrate to, but as usual for MTS it will takes sooooo much time. Others will march on (in as far as the Bell, Shaw and StarChoice) and it will be good to have competition here in our market place, that is for sure.
post #42 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 01:51 PM

Delayed!

MTS just called this morning to say my April 15 HD install has been postponed indefinitely.
Apparently they're having difficulties delivering the signal as broadly as they'd first thought so some areas they identified aseligible are actually not.
The Service Rep couldn't give me a new install date. She said they may be able to do it in my area (north Crescentwood) in Q2.
A big disappointment to say the least, though at least I didn't get the hardware installed and discover there was no HD.
post #43 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 03:18 PM
Veteran

Not a great way to create new customers...
post #44 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
MTS just called this morning to say my April 15 HD install has been postponed indefinitely.
Apparently they're having difficulties delivering the signal as broadly as they'd first thought so some areas they identified aseligible are actually not.
The Service Rep couldn't give me a new install date. She said they may be able to do it in my area (north Crescentwood) in Q2.
A big disappointment to say the least, though at least I didn't get the hardware installed and discover there was no HD.
I haven't rec'vd the dreaded "we're postponing your install indefinitely".

Fingers crossed.

Did MTS at least offer you their digital service at a "you can't say no" price?

Last edited by wpgjets2004; 2009-04-07 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
post #45 of 284 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 08:00 PM
Rookie

ordered it yesterday and they said they would come install it on the 20th hopefully nothing goes wrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in