MTS now have three groups for hd. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-03-27, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up MTS now have three groups for hd.

HD Starter now 6 dollars a month and hifi and sport are additional 6 dollars. So i think they put more into starter instead the previous packages.

Now, all HD subscribers will be charged an HD Service fee of $6/mth and will receive the HD Starter Theme Group for $0/mth. As well, there are two additional Theme Groups (HD Sports and HD Hi-Fi) each priced at $3/mth. Now, you can get all HD channels for $12/mth!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-03-27, 03:04 PM

well for that price I will be taking all 3 packages. Also, I can dump my Tivo at $16/month in favor of the PVR for $5.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-03-30, 11:49 AM

Dump your TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
I can dump my Tivo at $16/month in favor of the PVR for $5.
I would do that too if I didn't want:
name based searches and recording,
keyword searching,
the ability to move recordings to my computer for conversion to DVD,
the ability to upgrade the hard drive to a bigger size, and
immediate notification of recording conflicts.

Dave S.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-03-30, 07:37 PM

Quote:
well for that price I will be taking all 3 packages. Also, I can dump my Tivo at $16/month in favor of the PVR for $5.
It is about time they did this. Now they need to get off there lazy asses and launch this in Winnipeg.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-03-31, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschell_2000 View Post
I would do that too if I didn't want:
keyword searching,
the ability to upgrade the hard drive to a bigger size, and
immediate notification of recording conflicts.

Dave S.
Dave,

The MTS PVR has
keyword searching,
immediate notification of recording conflicts

Plus
I can now record up to 3 shows at once,
I can now record in HD
I don't need to use the stupid IR Blaster to change channels

all for much less than TIVO

Sure I give up;
the ability to upgrade the hard drive to a bigger size,

But I found that the DVD recording from my computer was rather lame anyway with all kinds of audio sync problems. Besides the ability to record to DVD is not worth the extra $8 month for that I could just get subscribe to a DVD movie club.

But hey if you like your TIVO, then keep it, it's all personal choice.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-03-31, 10:22 AM

Capabilities of MTS HDTV PVR

Quote:
The MTS PVR has
keyword searching,
immediate notification of recording conflicts
I don't know where you're getting your information, Guy.
But it conflicts with the user guide available for download from the MTS Portage site.

Recording with the MTS HDTV PVR is only schedule-based.
You can record series, provided that they occur on the same channel, at the same time on the same day of the week.
There is no provision for recording, for example, all shows with the word "Hawaii" in the description.
Recording conflicts can be seen if you go through the program guide - they will be marked there.

If you have a reliable source of information that differs from this, please feel free to share it.

Dave S.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-03-31, 02:57 PM

I misunderstood what you were referring to. I thought you meant search based on a name and record the results; not the record all shows with a specific keyword automatically.

I stand corrected on that point.

And my source is from the user guides I found from AT&T Uverse online. Which for the most part should be the same as what MTS will be providing.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-03-31, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I misunderstood what you were referring to. I thought you meant search based on a name and record the results; not the record all shows with a specific keyword automatically.

I stand corrected on that point.
OK, and I will give you the point about conflicting recordings. I re-read the guide and found that on single recordings, you do get instant notification. It's when you record a series and some episodes conflict that you will have to go to the program guide to resolve conflicts. Besides, with 3 recordable channels, conflicts should be few and far between.

I don't have any problems with audio sync when recording DVDs. Perhaps the particular software I use fixes that: VideoReDoTVSuite and DVD-Lab.

I also don't have any problems with the IR Blaster. In fact, since the MTS PVR only has a 160 GB hard drive, I intend to continue using my TiVo to record SD programs. I put a 500 GB drive into it.

Dave S.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-03-31, 04:17 PM

You and I seem to use our TIVO differently, I have a 40Gb one, and never ran out of space, since I delete programs once I watch them, but that is the great thing about the way MTS is doing it, you don't need to use their PVR if you don't want. At least it is a nice choice.

With my old series 2 with no HD recording and single stream it served it purpose but I am sooooo looking forward to HD and recording my shows in HD. I suspect you have a much better version than I so I can see your desire to keep it.

Best news for me is that I got an appointemnt for later this week to get the service hooked up at home. So I guess I will have some first hand information shortly on how well it does work.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-03-31, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschell_2000 View Post
Recording with the MTS HDTV PVR is only schedule-based.
You can record series, provided that they occur on the same channel, at the same time on the same day of the week.
There is no provision for recording, for example, all shows with the word "Hawaii" in the description.
Recording conflicts can be seen if you go through the program guide - they will be marked there.

If you have a reliable source of information that differs from this, please feel free to share it.
According to page 17 of the MTS guide, you can choose to record series:
  • ANY DAY, AROUND XX:XX AM/PM
  • ANY DAY, ANYTIME
  • ANY DAY, ANYTIME, ONCE PER DAY
According to my understanding of reading pages 19-23, starting with "RESOLVING CONFLICTS FOR A SERIES RECORDING", it appears you will get a "RECORDING CONFLICT SCREEN" immediately. You can resolve conflicts by series or by individual episodes.

There is also a screen for "VIEWING A LIST OF SCHEDULED RECORDINGS". Presumably any future conflicts would show up there, so you shouldn't have to go through the program guide.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 01:01 PM
Veteran

If that is all it reads...then it appears to be missing one of the most helpful of recording templates...the ability to record all or only "new" episodes.

I really hope it has this feature...

Does anyone have the PVR installed yet???
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 01:54 PM

You'll be glad to know that under SHOW TYPE you can choose one of the following options:
• FIRST RUN & RERUN
• FIRST RUN ONLY
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 02:21 PM
Veteran

Excellent...if this PVR is good enough...and they bump up their HD offerings...to include east and west american networks...and a few other channels (TSN2) in HD of course...

I may just switch...the only thing holding me back is 160gb hard drive...(you'd think that in this day and age...a 500 gb hard drive would be mandatory...especially for a whole house pvr)...

The 9200 is also very user friendly...but I can't wait to see the MTS HD-PVR and use the remote...see the guide...etc

I hope they put it on display soon...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 11:41 PM

I saw the new hardware at the St. Vital MTS Connect Store on Sunday, though they don't seem to have HD in St. Vital yet.
It was up and running, though. I couldn't find any working HD channels, but I did get to play around with the new channel guide.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-04-08, 06:43 AM
Veteran

Are you sure that it was their new HD-PVR?

What was the guide like?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in