MTS now have three groups for hd. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-04-08, 09:07 AM

Well got hooked up yesterday....

WOW what an amazing service. The PVR is HD. Playing around I recorded 2 HD and 1 SD program all at once, and then watch one back while recording 3 more.

Also the guide seems to Tribune, and was confirmed by the tech as not being Gemstar.

what was also cool was on non-HD TV's the HD content down converts so you don't just get a black screen but rather you see the wide screen version of the show you are watching. I was told that whether you are watching the program on an HD TV or not it still counts as one of your HD streams.

Service is very stable, quick channel changes, easy to navigate, works great with my Harmony Remote (but what doesn't). picture quality is much better than the old MTS service , and that was not a bad quality to begin with.

All in All, very happy with the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-04-08, 09:43 AM
Veteran

Is the guide much quicker...because the old MTS guide was incredibly slow?

And which HD service did you switch from?

And is the guide widescreen?

How many days is the guide?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-04-08, 09:58 AM
Veteran

MTS assigns you three (3) unique ‘streams’ to your home at one time.
Each stream can deliver a single program at a time to the set-top box in your home.
Two (2) streams are High Definition Streams, and one (1) stream is a Standard Definition Stream.
The High Definition Streams can be used to deliver High Definition Channels, Standard Definition Channels,
or Video On Demand movies.
Even though Video On Demand service is not delivered in an HD format, it does require the use of one of the HD streams.

HOW YOU CAN USE THE STREAMS
• You can watch three unique channels at once,
each on a separate TV.
• You can record 1 channel to the PVR and watch
two other channels.
You must subscribe to PVR service

• You can record 2 channels at once and watch a
third channel.
You must subscribe to PVR service

• You can record 3 channels at once.

Hmmm...this is definately a deal-breaker for me...because it sounds like if I watch something HD live...and the wife watches something HD live...only one SD channel can be recorded...
If the third tv is being watched live...you can't record at all...yikes...that really bites!!!
And if the third tv is watching Video on demand...only one of the two other TV's can watch a show in HD.
I wonder why MTS is limited to just three streams per household (bandwidth maybe?)...I currently use 5 streams with Bell...for my TV alone I use both a 9200 and a 3100.
I asked about two PVR's in my home at once and was told..."not at this time"...in other words two-three years down the road...maybe...oh well...I was really excited about this new service too...damn.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-04-08, 04:53 PM

1- The guide very fast, instant basically
2 - I didn't have HD before this, I had MTStv without HD
3 - Guide is widescreen on a widescreen TV. You see more guide on widescreen (2 hours, vrs 1 1/2 hours on SD)
4 - guide is 14 days in advance

We only have 1 HDTV in our house so I have no problem with VoD using a HD Stream - although this is the first I heard about that.

I actually asked the stream question to the tech during the install, I was told that we are limited to 3 streams as a bandwidth constraint, and it will be possible to get more streams in the future, but that the majority of homes use less than 3 simultaneous feeds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in