New MTS deals? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-15, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

New MTS deals?

If one of you is going to the Manitoba Home Show (March 19 - 22), can you please post what deal MTS is offering for both new and existing customers. As well, if they're handing out a brochure/flyer explaining their deal and the new HDPVR, please .pdf and post.

With the expected price increase in Manitoba I'm considering leaving SHAW for MTS.

However, I'm unable to go to the Home Show myself as we are expecting our 3rd child on Tuesday.

Thank you forum readers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-15, 08:18 PM
Rookie

what you see on the website for Portage will likely be very close to what will be offered in Winnipeg.

http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/mts/me...000408120aRCRD
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-20, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone confirm the offers that MTS had available for people at the Home & Garden Show?

Are they making the new HDPVR's available for purchase/installation?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-20, 07:55 PM

MTS has done a price increase also. Depending on your bundle it may vary but I believe as per MTS bundler their Basic and 11 is now 60.99 of course depending on what other services you have.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-20, 09:19 PM
Rookie

Price is one thing but when I compare the Bell HD to the MTS (on the new IP system) ... the MTS looks better!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-20, 09:45 PM
Rookie

i'll be heading their tomorrow unless someone posts that whatever deal they have is not worth it.

also keep an eye on the shaw section of this forum as someone started another thread with same question. Doesnt seem like anyone has gone yet though.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-21, 03:48 PM
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
What Shaw is offering as well as MTS

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=104005

Shawguy

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-21, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for posting this info.

I'm dissapointed that MTS didn't roll out their HDPVR for Winnipeg.

Did you get a sense as to when it may get rolled out?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-21, 04:07 PM
Premium Supporter

He said sometime in April....but most likely May...he said it was in testing, and at the start may only be released to 20% of the city and then rolled out further. This is why I didn't sign up today, I may switch to MTS when the PVR comes out (I can't live without the PVR)

He also said the PVR will most likely be rented for $3 per PVR...he said you would need one for every TV that you want a PVR on.

That being said though....he is a sales man...and all this should be taken as Rumour. lol

Shawguy
($13.50 to get into the home show....pretty costly to find out what Shaw and MTS are offering....other stuff I looked around, but that was the main reason for going)

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-21, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply and the information.

1 more question.

Did the MTS booth at least have the HDPVR running....or pictures/brochures speaking about its capabilities.

Please tell me they, at least, used the Home and Garden show as an opportunity to create some buzz/hype.

Last edited by wpgjets2004; 2009-03-21 at 04:48 PM. Reason: grammer error.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-21, 05:09 PM
Premium Supporter

If they did have one - they didn't offer to show it to me...when I asked him about it. he just said April....and it looked like they had the old boxes on display...(the ones that look like the DCT2500 on Shaw)

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-22, 11:44 AM

Any idea if you dont want a PVR if you can use the old MTS HD box and get the new expanded HD lineup?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-22, 01:29 PM
Rookie

If you want to have a look at the MTS HDPVR box its the VIP1216 by Motorola.

http://www.motorola.com/business/US-...008406b00aRCRD

A quick search on VIP1216 and you can get the manual was well.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-24, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawguy View Post
He said sometime in April....but most likely May...he said it was in testing, and at the start may only be released to 20% of the city and then rolled out further. This is why I didn't sign up today, I may switch to MTS when the PVR comes out (I can't live without the PVR)

He also said the PVR will most likely be rented for $3 per PVR...he said you would need one for every TV that you want a PVR on.

That being said though....he is a sales man...and all this should be taken as Rumour. lol

Shawguy
($13.50 to get into the home show....pretty costly to find out what Shaw and MTS are offering....other stuff I looked around, but that was the main reason for going)
I have a friend who works at MTS and he said this won't be avaiable in Winnipeg for a few months yet. He also said when it does launch that it won't be avaible in all areas at first (typical MTS)

They will also be charging $8 a month to have and use the PVR $5 for PVR service + $3 for the rental of the PVR. They will also be charging the HD channels that Shaw, Bell or Express VU give away.

I honestly don't know how MTS expects to get ahead in the HD world charing these fees and such. I guess we will have to see when it launches.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2009-03-24, 09:19 PM

Quote:
"They will also be charging $8 a month to have and use the PVR $5 for PVR service + $3 for the rental of the PVR."
-sounds confusing as not sure what the difference is for the $8 to have and use the PVR and then the $5 for PVR service, add on $3 for rental, but that might not be so outrageous, even Shaw is now renting a PVR and charges something like $19.95 per month.

I checked MTS website and they do have 30 HD channels listed, some that Shaw doesn't, but nothing too different except for the HD HIFI channels, but it seems they are putting them into five theme groups (networks, sports, etc.) and charging for each of the five groups (if I reading it correctly).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in