MTS Speed Increase to 7 Mbps - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-03-06, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

MTS Speed Increase to 7 Mbps

I noticed over the past few weeks that MTS internet speeds seem to have increased, so I poked around the MTS site and found this page:

http://www.mts.ca/hsiwsc/Consumer_HSI.html

Here are the download speeds:
Lightning.......Old 5 Mbps ... New 7 Mbps
Lightning Max Old 9 Mbps ... New 10 Mbps**

Upload speed is unchanged at 2 Mbps**

** To achieve these speeds a customer needs to have both MTSTV and MTS High Speed Internet.

They're now including 10 hours per month of free Wi-Fi or Dial-up Internet roaming access. I last checked in January, so it looks like the changes are in response to Shaw. Ain't competition wonderful?

Edit: I just noticed that MTS seems to be doing a new Internet promo for new customers - $19.95 a month for 6 months in a bundle. I can't find any official news release or announcement of the speed increase aside from the above page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-03-06, 11:38 AM
Veteran

This must be in response to some complaints they have recently received about SHAW bumping up their High-Speed Internet download speeds by 50% to 7.5mbps...and not charging their customers any difference.

I know I for one raised a stink...(same price 2/3 the speed).

This is also the first time I have seen MTS actually publish their download speeds.

Nice to see some competition finally providing consumers with benefits
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-03-21, 06:22 PM

I've done many speed tests on people's computers all around Winnipeg, and I'm wondering if they've even changed anything at all.

They were all done on "Lightning" (res1) connections, and the speeds varied widely (nature of DSL for the most part, based on what bitrate the set top box trained to).

I've seen download speeds range from 2.5 Mbps to 8 Mbps for a long time now. The ads say something like "up to" 7 Mbps...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-04-18, 12:45 PM

My speeds have dropped from 3.6 Mbps to 2.7 Mbps this past month. I'm calling.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-04-29, 04:50 PM
Rookie

I got the new HDTV service and they said my lightning speed would change, based on if the TV was on, up to 15 Mbps. I have seen no change at 6.5 Mbps, TV on and off.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-04-30, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

I don't know if what they told you is true, but here are a couple of possibilities:

1. If sounds like you're on the regular Lightning Plan which is 7 Mbps. You may have to be on the Max plan which is officially 10 Mbps, but may be 15 for IPTV.

2. You have to turn off all the Set Top Boxes, not just the TVs. Otherwise the STBs is still receiving TV streams, but the TVs aren't displaying them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-07-19, 12:43 PM

I finally got my speed upgraded - it's coming in at 7000/400. I'm getting MTS TV next week, so I'm hoping that changes to at least 7000/1000.

As for competition with Shaw... I'd pay for 2/3 the speed with MTS, because when I was with Shaw my speeds were very unpredictable. I'd go from 5MB to 0.5MB.

Tags
mts internet , mts internet speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in