MTS Expands IPTV Services With HomePortal Gateway - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

MTS Expands IPTV Services With HomePortal Gateway

edited for brevity from press release today
Quote:
2Wire today announced that MTS Allstream Inc. ("MTS") selected its HomePortal intelligent gateways to enable a major expansion of its IPTV services in Manitoba, Canada. This expansion is part of MTS's long-term broadband evolution strategy to bring television, Internet, phone, and home security and automation together on one simple platform.

MTS's expansion effort has already started with a rollout in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. Additional rollouts in the cities of Winnipeg and Brandon are planned for 2009.

Sean Parham, executive vice president and general manager, products and platforms, at 2Wire, said, "Already the leading telco TV service provider in Canada, MTS is committed to keeping ahead of the curve in providing next-generation broadband services. With our HomePortal gateway at the hub of the home network, MTS can provide its new IPTV subscribers with a robust and reliable bundle of voice, data and entertainment services."

MTS is leveraging the 2Wire HomePortal 3800HGV, the world-wide market share leader in VDSL2, IPTV gateways. The 3800HGV is a full TR-069 standard compliant intelligent gateway, optimized for delivering advanced voice, data, and video services to the home.
Anybody have any sense what this means for customers longer term?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-03-09, 08:26 AM

so it almost mid March, why isn't MTS even building the anticipation with billboard or TV ads. Maybe Portage has had a lot of problems. If anyone is in Portage la Prarie please let us know how it is.....

thanks
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-03-09, 09:11 AM

MTStv

Well if it is anything like the original launch, MTS will soft launch the service first without advertising to allow for slow and steady launch.

I spoke to a guy I met in Best Buy on the weekend, we were both buying HDTV's he was buying one because he has the new MTStv service already at his home here in Winnipeg, and says it is amazing. 3 channels - 2 HD 1 SD, you can record on any non-utilized stream you are not already watching, so 3 shows recording at once....

he said that the launch in Portage went really well and that there are already people in Winnipeg with the service.

Also said that Internet goes to DHCP, and is extreamely stable and he gets a full 7mb / 2mb service. With the 2 wire Gateway acting as a firewall and router (both wired and wireless).

I can hardly wait until it is launched so I can get it.....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-03-09, 01:31 PM

I was looking at the Portage La Praire page for TV service and they list all 30 of the new HD channels they have. Looks pretty close to what Shaw has.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-03-09, 05:01 PM

We should also be getting the Accessibility Channel when they add the new HD channels. Anybody know when theyre adding them yet? Btw Shaw does not over Score, City, or HiFi HD channels!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-03-11, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
I spoke to a guy I met in Best Buy on the weekend, we were both buying HDTV's he was buying one because he has the new MTStv service already at his home here in Winnipeg, and says it is amazing. 3 channels - 2 HD 1 SD, you can record on any non-utilized stream you are not already watching, so 3 shows recording at once....

Also said that Internet goes to DHCP, and is extreamely stable and he gets a full 7mb / 2mb service. With the 2 wire Gateway acting as a firewall and router (both wired and wireless).

I can hardly wait until it is launched so I can get it.....
Did you find out where in Winnipeg?

And also, has anyone heard if use the 2wire gateway is required? What I mean is, is there also a "traditional" modem so I can use my current router? I'm not dead set on it but I would like to know what the options are.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-03-12, 09:10 AM

We were at the Best Buy on Regent, so it was probably close to there. What he did say is that people were being hooked up were in all parts of the city, he wasn't any more specific.

As for the Gateway, he said it replaced the old STB with the built in gateway, and it served all the new STB's in the house. I looked up some information on the 2wire website, and it appears that the gateway is required, and that all the STB's plug into it. It also has a built in Router (both wired and wireless) as well as a firewall. I scanned the user manual for the gateway (there is a 130 page pdf on the website) and it seems to be a rather good firewall.

I would guess you could probably attach your router, then move the router to the DMZ of the gateway to bypass it, but I am not sure there would be much point.

That is about all I know, wasn't a very long conversation with the guy, but enough to get me excited about the service.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-03-15, 08:20 PM
Rookie

There will be "friendlies" throughout the city with the service before the official launch.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-03-20, 09:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
There will be "friendlies" throughout the city with the service before the official launch.
There are a handful of Friendlies right now ... I have it. I canceled the old MTS went with Bell .. I shouldnt have signed up for 2 yrs. MtS looks much better ... less compressed and truer colors. PVR is sweet... Catch the last mins of a show ... np hit record and it records it from the start! (1 hr max i think)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in