Internet Speed with MTS TV (slow?) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-01-31, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Internet Speed with MTS TV (slow?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
umbrau44, it could depend on your source. If you're talking about torrents that may be the case. I routinely see 500 megabytes/sec on Lightning downloading commercial software updates or video podcasts. The best I've seen is around 625-650 downloading Win7 with their download manager which uses multiple streams.

This is quite far off topic so we should continue it in the Internet forum if you wish.
Quote:
Daemos, MTS TV customers in Winnipeg can get Lightning Internet at 5 Mbps and Lightning Plus at 9 Mbps download. Both are 2 Mbps upload.

That's news to me! My upload is roughly 0.8 megabits and download is 2 to 2.2 megabits on the Lightning Plan with MTS TV.
My internet speed has stayed constant over the past 3 1/2 years, even through a move.
This came out of a thread in the IPTV area. According to Dr.Dave, I should be getting higher upload and download speeds than I am.

My home network setup includes the Motorala RG2400 from MTS, a DLink DGL-4300, a desktop and a laptop, both using Windows XP Pro SP3 for now.

I'm not referring to torrent speeds, as that is always an unreliable test these days. Downloading the windows 7 beta was going at about 270 to 280 kilobytes/second, and that is the fastest that I have seen.

For uploading speeds, I upload pictures to Flickr on a semi-regular basis. That usually tops out around 90 kilobytes/second.

What should I be checking to improve my upload/download speeds?

Here is a typical result, although the ping time is usually less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-01-31, 02:31 PM

I just pulled off a test right now

This is going from the motorola RG2400 to tons of ethernet cable (goes across my house!) to my linux box to a 5 port 10/100 swith to a linksys wireless N to my laptop.

I'd call MTS to complain those speeds are too slow.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-01-31, 05:44 PM

Last Test Date: 1/31/2009
Total Tests Taken: 4
Fastest Download: 7512 kb/s
Fastest Upload: 1051 kb/s
Average Download: 6786 kb/s
Average Upload: 889 kb/s

I ran 4 speed tests over a half hour period. The results seem high according to my own measurements using Windows Task manager and the RG2400 diagnostic screen. Downloads for this site were actually about 500 KBps (500*8=4Mbps). The uploads were too short to measure accurately so I uploaded a 6 MB file to Google docs and speed was pretty steady around 150 KBps (150*8=1.2Mbps). I don't do a lot of uploading so I don't know if this speed is typical. I just happened to upload to Google this a.m.

Config: RG2400, Win XP SP3, no router, Lightning Plan (5 Mbps)

umbrau44, the first thing I would try is a direct connection without the router.
I had a cheap router a few years ago and I think it was slowing down my throughput. You'll have to do a DSL login on your PC.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then talk to MTS. It could be a distance issue or some problem with the line.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-01-31, 07:16 PM

umbrau44:

Go to yoru RG2400, hit menu, info, right, select (on the RG2400)

Check current rate, SNR, SNR margin, FEC errors and HEC errors. Actually when at that screen hit info (on the remote) to reset FEC and HEC error values back to 0 (as they will accumulate over time) then come back and tell us what they read 24 hours later =D
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-01, 12:43 AM

Interesting conversation, here are my Shaw results. These seem that it is considerably faster on Shaw to me anyways.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-01, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post

Config: RG2400, Win XP SP3, no router, Lightning Plan (5 Mbps)

umbrau44, the first thing I would try is a direct connection without the router.
I had a cheap router a few years ago and I think it was slowing down my throughput. You'll have to do a DSL login on your PC.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then talk to MTS. It could be a distance issue or some problem with the line.
I will try a direct connection when I get a chance, hopefully tomorrow. It's not impossible that my router is the issue, but I did have a cheap router before and the speeds were similar. The current one is not cheap but it might need some tweaking, even if nothing is wrong with it.

I also looked on our bill to make sure and we are definitely on the Lightning Plan.

I did a test this afternoon connecting the the ftp.mts.net server. There are some test files there for downloading. It was quite consistent at around 275 kilobytes/sec.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-01, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemos View Post
umbrau44:

Go to yoru RG2400, hit menu, info, right, select (on the RG2400)

Check current rate, SNR, SNR margin, FEC errors and HEC errors. Actually when at that screen hit info (on the remote) to reset FEC and HEC error values back to 0 (as they will accumulate over time) then come back and tell us what they read 24 hours later =D
current rate download: 17738000 b/s (I assume it is bits)
Current rate upload: 1206666 b/s
SNR: 37 dB
SNR margin: 11 dB
FEC:76981
HEC: 759
Uptime is approximately 15 days.
Firwmare and/or software is dated August 3, 2007
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-01, 03:03 PM

I just realized I reported the wrong STB previously. It is the RG2200. So the hardware is slightly different and the diagnostics may not be directly comparable.

Current rate downstream: 26064000
Current rate upstream: 2654666
SNR: D1=38,D2=31 dB
SNR margin: D1=9,D2=14 dB
FEC: 463
HEC: 0
Uptime 15 days

Looks like there is a problem with your line or you could be on the edge of the max. distance for VDSL. Another thought that occurs to me is that if you're in an apartment or condo, it could be the building's internal wiring. If you plan to go with the new IPTV system, VDSL2 may alleviate some of those problems.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-01, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrau44 View Post
current rate download: 17738000 b/s (I assume it is bits)
Current rate upload: 1206666 b/s
SNR: 37 dB
SNR margin: 11 dB
FEC:76981
HEC: 759
Uptime is approximately 15 days.
Firwmare and/or software is dated August 3, 2007
Looking on your profile you are on a 17mbit down and 1.2mbit up profile off the RG. Your internet shouldn't even work, but that explains it.

But even on the 17mbit profile we can see even though your SNR and SNR margin is good, you are getting lots of FEC and lots of HEC errors. If they were to put you up to the 20mbit or 26mbit profile you'd see even more errors.

FEC and HEC errors just affect television they dont' affect internet. FEC errors the box corrects them HEC makes your TV look pixelated (digital).

So for you to get the internet fixed, best you call into MTS and complain that the speeds are way too slow for having the lightning internet. Now it may that you are too far away for the VDSL line to work optimally, so what they CAN do is run a second line into your house and ADSL line, and give you a seperate modem that way.

But nothing will get resolved if you dont' get an MTS tech out to your house to fix the issue.

Now some general information: paying for lighting max with TV is pointless because you get the same speeds WITH regular (I am just on regular speed internet) as you would with lightning max, as putting you on the 20mbit profile (which is what should be used for regular lightning) will not give you advertised lightning speeds...so you will need the 26mbit profile...which basically your TV takes up ~16-17mbit and your internet gets the rest =)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-02, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemos View Post
Looking on your profile you are on a 17mbit down and 1.2mbit up profile off the RG. Your internet shouldn't even work, but that explains it.

But even on the 17mbit profile we can see even though your SNR and SNR margin is good, you are getting lots of FEC and lots of HEC errors. If they were to put you up to the 20mbit or 26mbit profile you'd see even more errors.

FEC and HEC errors just affect television they dont' affect internet. FEC errors the box corrects them HEC makes your TV look pixelated (digital).

So for you to get the internet fixed, best you call into MTS and complain that the speeds are way too slow for having the lightning internet. Now it may that you are too far away for the VDSL line to work optimally, so what they CAN do is run a second line into your house and ADSL line, and give you a seperate modem that way.

But nothing will get resolved if you dont' get an MTS tech out to your house to fix the issue.

Now some general information: paying for lighting max with TV is pointless because you get the same speeds WITH regular (I am just on regular speed internet) as you would with lightning max, as putting you on the 20mbit profile (which is what should be used for regular lightning) will not give you advertised lightning speeds...so you will need the 26mbit profile...which basically your TV takes up ~16-17mbit and your internet gets the rest =)
What is the cause of these errors? Is that just bad connections somewhere? I know that line distance can be an issue. Is it possible that the rg 2400 is failing?

We moved over the summer from a house (built in 1914) in an old area to a much newer house (1989). Could it be that the gateway was set up for the old area (or time, we got it 2005) and the profile wasn't changed to the faster one? The installer was not the best. He didn't run a cable from my computer to the gateway and used the existing cat3 cable instead, rendering my gigabit connection useless.

Tonight, I will get the FEC/HEC errors and try a direct connection, though I suspect it will not make a difference. Then I will need to get on the phone to MTS for an appointment to fix it.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-02, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

I took my router out of the equation. With my laptop plugged in to the rg2400, I'm getting very similar results, as I expected. The number of FEC errors is currently 12546 in roughly 45 hours which works out to 278/hour.

---

Hec errors is still at 0.

If I press the talk button on my cordless phone, it adds 25 FEC errors. Errors are not added while talking. I never really noticed the errors before so I have no idea if this was happening at the old house, too.

I noticed for the SNR numbers there is a D1 and D2 section. The D2 numbers are both 0.

The upstream numbers are as follows:
SNR: U0=0, U1=33.5, U2=0
SNR Margin: U0=0, U1=22.5, U2=0

Last edited by umbrau44; 2009-02-02 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added more info
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-03, 01:31 AM

I've had MTS TV for years now, not 100% continuous, but didn't stay with Shaw long the few times I switched to them.

I've been installing MTSTV as a contractor for 2 years, so I know the system somewhat. Mostly from asking MTS techs when i run into them on the job. One guy was nice enough to help me out on his lunch hour a few times. We combed the pedestals looking for bad connections etc. After all that, he determined that my loop runs AROUND my neighborhood, and not the roughly 300 meters walking distance. I'm at 850 meters on 26 gauge wire!

Months later (last week) I called MTS because my HSI was still having intermittent problems connecting (timeouts) and the guy said he would sent out a tech because my errors were high. Tech gets here, tells me my line history looks good but it could be "congestion" on their end. I ended up asking him if they charge extra to switch my HSI to ADSL on a delinked line. He said no, but they JUST talked about that in a meeting that morning and MTS doesn't want them doing it anymore. But he said he'd look into it, so he got approval and did it for me same day!

My RG is at 17 meg (850 meters...sniff) so my HSI was about the same as you (about 2.2 meg...slow but within their specs). Now with it on the delinked line, speedtest.net hits 5 meg! Better but still not as fast as VDSL on 26 meg.

** Umbrau44, I was told FEC errors are normal when you pick up a phone.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-04, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrau44 View Post
I just had my MTS TV and internet hooked up tonight.

I'm running Windows XP SP3.

I ran multiple speed tests and got results that were the same as yours.

I tried it over my wireless connection, with an ethernet cable connected directly to my router and also with an ethernet cable connected directly to the MTS cable box.

I received the same results no matter how I was connected. Needless to say, I'm not that impressed. Anyone have any suggestions?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-04, 12:53 AM

With the Telus TV and Internet, you have 3 Mbps(actual abouts 2.8Mbps) for the Internet 'maximum', and then about 12Mbps roughly for the TV bandwidth. Totaling 15Mbps(give or take).

I'm not on it, but that is what the profile is. Maximum two TV's before TV bandwidth takes from the Internet bandwidth.
Has to do with QOS . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service
Quality of service guarantees are important if the network capacity is insufficient, especially for real-time streaming multimedia applications such as voice over IP, online games and IP-TV, since these often require fixed bit rate and are delay sensitive,
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-04, 02:30 AM

To Senk: your MTS TV signal is probably at the lowest bitrate level right now. I've heard that the receiver or "set-top box" should reboot (maybe within a day?) and attempt to increase the signal, but if your telephone line is at the far end of the neighborhood or noisy, it may not hold steady and will go back to the lower one to prevent any service disruptions or picture quality issues. This is just the nature of the current technology.

To Alternate: not sure what technology Telus is using (cable or DSL) but MTS TV uses 3 tv streams (5 mbps each=15 meg bandwidth) so whatever is left over is what you get for internet. I've seen around 8 mbps download and 1.5 mbps upload, but thats with the set-top at 26 mbps. I don't think that MTS' system takes bandwidth from one to compensate for the other (yet).

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in