MTS rolls out IPTV service in Portage la Prairie - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Channel Packages & Pricing seem to be the same as Winnipeg. Other details from MTS.CA:

Hardware
Receiver rental: $3/month per TV
Add PVR service for $5/month
Record up to 3 programs at once
The 160 GB hard drive allows you to record up to 120 hours of Digital TV or 25 hours of High-Definition programming.

HDTV
MTS HDTV offers 30 HD Channels packaged in 5 Theme Groups.
When ordering HD Theme Groups, customers must also subscribe to the equivelant channel in Digital Theme Group packages.
First HD theme group $6/month
Each additional HD theme group $3/month

Promo
Promotional pricing is the same as Winnipeg: Basic +11 Digital Theme Groups starting at $19.99 for the first 6 months.
PVR service FREE for the first 3 months.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 12:19 PM

Looks pretty good to me.

LINK TO CHANNELS

They have everything Shaw has plus the ones everyone is asking for..Nice.

Rental on the equipment is $3 for a HD unit, add another $5 for PVR function. Not too shabby.

I'll have to wait and hear how the quality is. Competition in Winnipeg will be a good thing for all when it reaches here.

I think you get all 30 HD Channels for $18.00, not sure what level of SD service you would need to subscribe to.

EDIT: Note: When ordering HD Theme Groups, customers must also subscribe to the equivelant channel in Digital Theme Group packages.

Not sure exactly what that would total up to.

Samsung HL-S5087W | Yamaha HTR6190B | Motorola 6412 PIII | Sony PS3 | Definitive Technology BP's/C1 and Sub|

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

So now that MTS officially announced Mediaroom yesterday morning, can some Portage residents or MTS insiders answer some questions?
  1. How many HD and SD streams are allowed?
  2. What is the max Internet speed?
  3. Is there only 1 PVR per residence and can it be played from any STB (Whole Home PVR)?
  4. Can you program your recording schedule via PC or mobile phone?
  5. Any other special features?
  6. If I understand correctly the minimum cost for a PVR is $8/month ($3 + $5)?
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 11:43 PM

this is huge news - can it integrate with vmc over the network?
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
So now that MTS officially announced Mediaroom yesterday morning, can some Portage residents or MTS insiders answer some questions?
  1. If I understand correctly the minimum cost for a PVR is $8/month ($3 + $5)?
I'm neither a Portage resident nor an insider, but from when I was with Bell ExpressVu, the PVR is itself an STB.

Dave S.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Dave S, I realize the PVR is a STB. My question was whether MTS charges an extra $5 to replace the VIP1200 with a VIP1216 or if it is just $5 for the VIP1216.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 11:03 AM

The pricing and channel info is here.

28 HD channels are:

ABC
CBS
NBC
Fox
PBS
CTV
Global
CityTV
Sportsnet
The Score
Speed
Raptors TV
TSN
Movie Central
Superchannel (2 channels)
Encore Avenue
HBO
A&E
TLC
National Geographic
Showcase
APTN
WGN
4 "hi-fi" HD channels

Edit - CBC HD is included in the basic group. That makes 29. I can't find the 30th.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

tofurkey, there are 2 HBO channels - east and west.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 12:29 PM
Rookie

any idea when we will be seeing this in Winnipeg? Or is this already available and they havent updated their site yet?

Last edited by aequitas; 2009-01-21 at 12:30 PM. Reason: meh
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

aequitas, Portage is the first city to get Mediaroom. Winnipeg is scheduled for sometime this spring. In Winnipeg the new technology will co-exist with the current hardware so existing customers won't be affected unless they want to upgrade.

For anyone that is interested, AT&T in the U.S. has over 1 million households running Mediaroom on their U-Verse IPTV service.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 03:13 PM

I'm a bit underwhelmed. From what I understand you have to get the equivalent SD channel for each HD channel that you choose. In many cases that means having to pick a SD theme group in order to get the required SD channel. Which in turn means having many SD channels that you don't really want. Also, having to pick all those SD theme groups will raise the cost. I estimate I will have to get the Basic + 6 theme groups. ($51.00). Then I will pick 3 HD groups ($12.00). Then HDPVR rental $5.00 That's about $68.00 total. Shaw's HD-Plus package is $65.00 with better HD channels. Comments?
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

bimbamboom, I think your calculations are right as far as programming goes. From what I've read, Shaw charges $19 or $20/month for HDPVR rental bringing Shaw's total to about $85/month.

Overall, the programming costs are roughly the same among all the providers as you've shown. There will be variations depending on which packages you pick. I think most of the content owners require that you subscribe to the SD channel to get the HD channel.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 03:58 PM

MTS is missing HDNET, BigTenHD,GolfChannelHD, TSN2HD and the incredible "TheFrameHD".

They do have a bunch of channels that Shaw does not have such as the TreasureHD, OasisHD, RushHD, EquatorHD, The ScoreHD, RaptorsHD, APTNHD.

I'd trade at this point for MTS' lineup and I own two Shaw PVR's.

The only Proviso is whether or not MTS can avoid the CTV/Global simsubs on the US channels - this is a deal breaker for me.

Samsung HL-S5087W | Yamaha HTR6190B | Motorola 6412 PIII | Sony PS3 | Definitive Technology BP's/C1 and Sub|
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 04:21 PM

Yes, I forgot to take into account the PVR rental. The $500. upfront cost of Shaw's PVR is burden. I'm going to take a closer look at MTS's offerings.

Tags
iptv , mediaroom , mts , mtstv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in