MTS rolls out IPTV service in Portage la Prairie - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
bimbamboom, I think your calculations are right as far as programming goes. From what I've read, Shaw charges $19 or $20/month for HDPVR rental bringing Shaw's total to about $85/month.

Overall, the programming costs are roughly the same among all the providers as you've shown. There will be variations depending on which packages you pick. I think most of the content owners require that you subscribe to the SD channel to get the HD channel.
Shaw gives away there HDPVR and MTS charges to use it? Hmmm, I wonder which way I will go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 02:00 PM

tobe, I only have one tv and Shaw gives away there HDPVR if you are currently on MTS.

Last edited by greeniguana_01; 2009-01-25 at 02:30 PM.
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 03:33 PM

Well think about this first, Shaw hd is crap and they dont offer channels like Score HD, Oasis, Rush, Equator, Treasure, Citytv HD, etc. I would wait and give the MTS service a try first. Btw why did you switch to MTS anyway?

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 11:20 PM

Can mediaroom integrate with media center?

What kind of connectivity/portability options for content is available with this system?

Can you add storage?

Is is possible to display content/media from other sources in the home (pc...etc)?
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 11:50 PM

WOW I was just looking at the price listings and all I can say is **Expensive** after you add your 9+ theme groups which im thinking is the average you have to spend a additional $12 per month to get the HD equivalent so lets do some price calculations. I'm using movies included just to inform:
Basic + 9 theme groups: $71.99 + 3 HD theme groups $12.00 + 12% tax = $94.07 per month just for TV services .

They have a good line-up if I might mention plus I'm sure the PQ is much better then Shaw but I think those prices are way too expensive.

My parents have MTS TV at their place so when they roll this out here I'll have to mention this to them if they don't mind paying the price.

Shaw Gateway + 2 Portals, Samsung 55' Smart TV, XBOX360 Slim, XBOX 1, PS3, PS4, Nintendo WII, Nintendo Switch
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose78 View Post
Well think about this first, Shaw hd is crap and they dont offer channels like Score HD, Oasis, Rush, Equator, Treasure, Citytv HD, etc. I would wait and give the MTS service a try first. Btw why did you switch to MTS anyway?
Cause at the time they were better than Shaw but that was before I had an HD TV and was offered a free HDPVR from Shaw rather than having to rent it from MTS. It sounds tempting and I just may switch yet.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 11:15 AM

I apologize for the misinformation.

The total number of streams is 3, not 4 as posted earlier.

1. How many HD and SD streams are allowed?
2HD Streams + 1 SD Streams (Video on Demand uses up one HD stream, regardless if content is HD or not)
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 02:13 PM

I think that MTS is finally getting into the real HD business(the service now is pitiful) is good, competition will be good for all of us who either decide to stay with a particular provider or move to MTS.

I am not a lover of MTS but if they offer the service that AT&T offer in the US it will be top notch, but alas this is MTS we are talking about.

If it is to pricey people will not buy it, not enough HD people will not buy it. I hope it is top notch and then the competitive juices will make sure that Shaw, Bell TV and Star Choice are in the same ball park.

They (MTS) have to better Shaw to make any inroads, so bring it on and we all shall benefit. (I HOPE)
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbamboom View Post
Yes, I forgot to take into account the PVR rental. The $500. upfront cost of Shaw's PVR is burden. I'm going to take a closer look at MTS's offerings.
I would rather buy the PVR for $500 then have to spend 8 extra dollars a month just to use the PVR features. Why is MTS charging for there PVR service and why is there not an option to buy the PVR?

Last edited by greeniguana_01; 2009-01-26 at 09:23 PM.
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixar69 View Post
WOW I was just looking at the price listings and all I can say is **Expensive** after you add your 9+ theme groups which im thinking is the average you have to spend a additional $12 per month to get the HD equivalent so lets do some price calculations. I'm using movies included just to inform:
Basic + 9 theme groups: $71.99 + 3 HD theme groups $12.00 + 12% tax = $94.07 per month just for TV services .

They have a good line-up if I might mention plus I'm sure the PQ is much better then Shaw but I think those prices are way too expensive.

My parents have MTS TV at their place so when they roll this out here I'll have to mention this to them if they don't mind paying the price.
I think you'll find the programming cost is about the same. It's not hard to get to the same amount with Shaw. For example "HD Plus", Movies and a 7-pack of Specialty Channels ($7.95) is $97.33 with tax.

The big difference is that the hardware is a lot less expensive with MTS.

This isn't a Shaw vs. MTS thread. I just wanted to point out that MTS' programming cost is not that different from the others.
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniguana_01 View Post
I would rather buy the PVR for $500 then have to spend 8 extra dollars a month just to use the PVR features. Why is MTS charging for there PVR service and why is there not an option to buy the PVR?
Simplest explaination is because the PVR is a network service provided by MTS. Not just a hard drive in a box like Shaw. Even if you purchased the VIP1216 (which may be possible in the future), it still costs MTS to manage the PVR service on it for you.

This might explain the PVR better:
http://www.att.com/Common/totalhomed...-home-dvr.html

While the "total home dvr" as ATT calls it isn't available on MTS, it's expected to be in the future.

Owning it also creates a number of legal problems as well that would need to be worked through (everything from purchase, inventory and repair, to signing VoD contracts with big picture companies who want to ensure there is a full DRM solution end-to-end).
post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 08:40 PM

Mixar I just wanted to point out that your parents will not have to pay more, only if they want hd. If not, nothing changes. Btw, those prices also include MC. Basic and 9 themes is like $55, which is slightly cheaper than Shaw with digital.
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-28, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

KingBuzzo, here's what I have seen so far. I've been following AT&T U-Verse for awhile since they use the Mediaroom software.

Can mediaroom integrate with media center?
Not at the present time. However I've read the the 2 groups will be working together so there's hope for the future.

What kind of connectivity/portability options for content is available with this system?
Mediaroom supports Whole Home PVR where you can watch a recorded show from any STB in the home. From other posts it sounds like MTS will not be offering this in the initial rollout in Portage, but will likely offer it later. If you are talking about making a digital copy to a PC that's not possible due to encryption. If that's important you could use the Hauppauge HD-PVR as discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Can you add storage?
No, but I've read that AT&T is now using 250GB and 320GB units, so MTS may also do so in the future.

Is is possible to display content/media from other sources in the home (pc...etc)?
According to the Mediaroom website "Microsoft Mediaroom connects your TV to your PC and other entertainment devices, giving you instant access to all your personal media so you can easily stream music, or share photos and videos with friends and family, on the best screen in the house." I don't know if or when MTS will implement that feature. It sounds like a nice feature for the techies among us, but I imagine the typical user would be a giant support headache.
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-29, 01:41 AM

now I recently switched to MTS through a winback offer, I want to clarify a few pricing things. i'm interested in moving to the IPTV more for the better internet speeds than anything else.

So I currently have 3 TVs in the house, now currently the RG delivers video diretly to one tv, and to the other two via coax.

Now if I were to switch to IPTV from my understanding I would get the RG included, but the other two TVs would require a seprerate setbox even I don't want to get HD correct? So would I need 3 setboxes (for an additional $9/mo, or would I just need 2 addition for $6/mo.
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-29, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Daemos, MTS TV customers in Winnipeg can get Lightning Internet at 5 Mbps and Lightning Plus at 9 Mbps download. Both are 2 Mbps upload. Have you heard about something faster?

The old MTS TV RG takes 3 digital streams and converts them to analog to transport via your in-house coax. The new MTS IPTV is all-digital and requires a set top box (STB) for each TV (even if the TV is analog). Winnipeg customers won't have to change unless they want to.

My understanding is that MTS will charge for each STB including the first one. The first STB is a VIP1216 which is a PVR, but MTS will charge $5/month extra to use the PVR service. The interesting thing for me is that the PVR can be viewed from any STB in the home (although this feature isn't supported in the initial roll out).

Tags
iptv , mediaroom , mts , mtstv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in