MTS rolls out IPTV service in Portage la Prairie - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 05:35 PM

I believe it is possible to get a dvr from shaw for significantly less than $500. If I remember correctly, other members of this forum have received them for free when switching.

And they do say more HD channels are coming this year. I guess they have to work out the bugs before they add all the HD channels they want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 05:46 PM

I just finished phoning MTS to get a bit more information. I said earlier that you have to pick the equivalent SD package in order to get a HD package. So for me to get the HD Sports and HD Entertainment, I would have to pick the SD Sports Fans and SD Entertainment respectively. And I assume the HD Networks group would be covered by the SD Basic Service group. HDPVR rental is $8.00 per month. She said Winnipeg will see this service in April.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 06:44 PM

Discovery HD also missing.

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-22, 10:47 AM

Can anyone verify what cities the American HD networks originate from. One page I looked at indicates Seattle for CBS, Fox, NBC. Another page shows Minneapolis instead. I hope it's Minneapolis, for time zone reasons.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-22, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it is Minneapolis, since Winnipeg already lists the HD networks as Minneapolis. I sent them an email yesterday to let them know about the discrepancy. I think MTS probably did some of the artwork when they were still Seattle or someone had an old channel list.

Or maybe someone thinks Portage is in the western time zone.
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-22, 03:21 PM

According to the PlaP "pasture" on the MTSTV site, the HD network stations are:
CBC: Toronto
CBS: Seattle
ABC: Grand Forks
PBS: Fargo
CTV: Toronto
City: Toronto
Global: Toronto

It does seem like a bit of a mixed bag, time zone wise. I don't know why they wouldn't go with Minneapolis, but for the Portage roll-out it seems they are not.

Also, as others have pointed out, no Discovery Channel.

I'm still looking forward to this and hoping it comes to Winnipeg sooner rather than later. I am especially pleased to see HD movie channels in there (though it's a bit of a cheat to include all of them in the claim of "30 HD channels").
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 03:07 AM

1. How many HD and SD streams are allowed?
2HD Streams + 2 SD Streams (Video on Demand uses up one HD stream, regardless if content is HD or not)

2. What is the max Internet speed?
Currently for Portage customers, the only available speed is MTS Lightning. This will change for Winnipeg.

3. Is there only 1 PVR per residence and can it be played from any STB (Whole Home PVR)?

Each MTS customer recieves 1 VIP-1216, This is the PVR model. Whether they choose to activate the PVR ($5/mo) is up to them. Portage customers get free PVR access for the first 3 months. "Whole Home PVR" (The ability to watch recorded shows from the VIP1216 on any of your other STBs) is currently not available, but expected in the future. No customer-end changes are required to implement this.

4. Can you program your recording schedule via PC or mobile phone?
Not currently.

5. Any other special features?
Many, however still in the works. More to be released at, or shortly after Winnipeg launch later in 2009.

6. If I understand correctly the minimum cost for a PVR is $8/month ($3 + $5)?
Yes.
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 03:17 AM

"They do say more HD channels are coming this year. I guess they have to work out the bugs before they add all the HD channels they want to."

Not so much bugs, as much as it requires approvals (licensing), contracts, time etc. from various teams which are very busy. I'd expect more channels once Winnipeg is up and running, which is obviously the next big goal/focus. Adding new channels to the MTS HDTV network is relatively easy once you've aquired the feed(s) and the go ahead. This is something that isn't so easy on the current MTStv network.
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
According to the PlaP "pasture" on the MTSTV site, the HD network stations are:
CBC: Toronto
CBS: Seattle
ABC: Grand Forks
PBS: Fargo
CTV: Toronto
City: Toronto
Global: Toronto

It does seem like a bit of a mixed bag, time zone wise. I don't know why they wouldn't go with Minneapolis, but for the Portage roll-out it seems they are not.

Also, as others have pointed out, no Discovery Channel.

I'm still looking forward to this and hoping it comes to Winnipeg sooner rather than later. I am especially pleased to see HD movie channels in there (though it's a bit of a cheat to include all of them in the claim of "30 HD channels").
CBC: Toronto Eastern
CBS: Minneapolis (WCCO) Central
ABC: Grand Forks (WDAZ) Central
FOX: Minneapolis (KMSP) Central
PBS: Fargo (KGFE) Central
NBC: Minneapolis (KARE) Central
CTV: Toronto Eastern
City: Toronto Eastern
Global: Toronto Eastern
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 10:54 AM

davidb1: As I indicated, my information is from the MTS website.
If you have more accurate information, that's great, but please indicate your source.
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

davidb1, thanks for answering all my questions. Your contributions are appreciated.

Lorne, there are 3 sources from the MTS web site.
  1. Winnipeg shows U.S. HD channels except ABC are from Minneapolis.
  2. Portage "Channel Packages & Pricing" has a PDF that shows the same.
  3. Portage "High Definition" has a graphic that shows them as Seattle.
So 2 of the 3 MTS sources say Minneapolis. The graphic is probably an error as it conflicts with the other 2 sources. All TV guide sources also have Minneapolis.
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
davidb1: As I indicated, my information is from the MTS website.
If you have more accurate information, that's great, but please indicate your source.
A better source than the MTS website lol... It's an error, I imagine it will be corrected next week.
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-24, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoowaa View Post
Looks pretty good to me.

LINK TO CHANNELS

They have everything Shaw has plus the ones everyone is asking for..Nice.

Rental on the equipment is $3 for a HD unit, add another $5 for PVR function. Not too shabby.

I'll have to wait and hear how the quality is. Competition in Winnipeg will be a good thing for all when it reaches here.

I think you get all 30 HD Channels for $18.00, not sure what level of SD service you would need to subscribe to.

EDIT: Note: When ordering HD Theme Groups, customers must also subscribe to the equivelant channel in Digital Theme Group packages.

Not sure exactly what that would total up to.
No HD NET or Discovery HD? Also Shaw offers HD Pay Per View and Video on Demand stuff as well. Plus they charge you $5 a month for PVR services that shaw gives for free? This might be getting too expensive for me to sign up I could get all Shaw's HD stuff for the I am paying now.

I think I might still be going to shaw.
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-24, 11:18 AM

I gues you are ok with the 600 + charge to get the PVR service, more if you want it on more than one TV?

Do the Math my friend.....
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-01-24, 05:56 PM

Also, programming is for Portage currently. As one of the previous MTS press releases said, they're planning on increasing the HD content this year (above the 30 currently being offered).

Tags
iptv , mediaroom , mts , mtstv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in