Aliant NS bypass HH3000 with IPTV/VOIP - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AtlanticRebel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-19, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Aliant NS bypass HH3000 with IPTV/VOIP

Hello from Nova Scotia! In trying to bypass the Bell Aliant HH3000 for internet, I have been reading so many treads on so many websites, but still I can't make it work. I pay for internet (500/500), IPTV and VOIP phone. The setup I am trying to make work is FTTH -> MC220L -> unmanaged switch (DLINK GO-SW-5GE) -> #1 router RT2600AC, #2 OPTCORE SFP to RJ45 (GLC-T) -> HH3000. On my router, I set it up for VLAN 35, and clone the HH3000 MAC, which works if HH3000's IP has been released. On HH3000, I lose phone, but TV works. Is there no way with Bell Aliant in Nova Scotia with the DHCP service, to use HH3000 for phone/TV and a separate router for internet? P.S. : I lost the phone before when releasing IP, or doing factory reset, and Bell Aliant was able to fix. I feel it might be the same thing here (using copper to SFP) and just haven't called them yet to fix, but the bigger issue is that I can't seem to use internet on my router without releasing the HH3000 IP? Am I missing anything? Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-20, 08:37 AM

The reason that things on the HH3K breaks, is the HH3K ABSOLUTELY NEEDS internet access as that is how the SIP provisioning for the phone service is downloaded. IPTV also require internet access for provisioning in a similar manner to the SIP channels, and as well as other interactive features, including guide data.

Through an enterprise implementation of their business VoIP phone system, I've learnt that both their fiber based home phone(which is actually an SIP endpoint on the ATA whether it be an R1000, R3000, or HH3K) that comes in over a specific VLAN that also carries some other control/management functions, and is filtered out at the ONT level. In a business setting, with a dedicated light circuit, the VoIP data is brought in over a special WAN connection, with access to the SBC. If a business has Fibe based service, this works as another VLAN passed into the endpoint device(normally an R3000) and is demarcated to the customer voice VLAN from there.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-20, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

OK, that is interesting. Now, my HH3000, as far as I can tell, always has internet access. I keep sending the entire signal to it through the unmanaged switch, which should act as a splitter. Through that setup, I can manage to keep internet and IPTV though the HH3000 (but loses VOIP), but yet I can't make my separate router (connected to the same unmanaged switch) work. I know in Ontario they use PPPOE, so we can't really compare, but I read so many treads even in Atlantic Canada (where they use DHCP) of people who successfully pulled that, in some cases with an apparently similar setup to what I have. I wish I could figure out how to pull this. As a point of interest, after doing some more testing and a factory reset of the HH3000, the internet connection in the modem was now asking me for a username and password (which I had never seen before). I called them and they "reprovisioned" the VOIP and internet (IPTV never stopped working).

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-21, 12:17 PM

Why do you "need" to connect your own router and have it be internet facing? If you're just looking for better features/range than the HH3000, just set up your router as an access point.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-21, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I don't "need" to, I "want" to.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-23, 08:12 AM

Then why not just leave the HH3000 where it is, running your phone and TV and connect your router as an access point? That's what I have in my setup.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-23, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Do you mean you have connected your router to the fibre in parallel with the HH3000?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-23, 11:28 PM

You also have the option of using the Advanced DMZ feature that allows all IP based features on the HH3K to work, AND gives a public internet IP to your router. This is what BA recommends for enterprise customers needing this functionality on Fibe based connections that also have Business IPTV or UC/VoIP/SIP services.
khx73 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-24, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinette View Post
Do you mean you have connected your router to the fibre in parallel with the HH3000?
Set your router in "access point" mode and just connect one of the LAN ports to a LAN port at the back of your HH3000. Or you can do what AtlanticRebel suggests - connect your router to the Advanced DMZ. I've had mixed results with A-DMZ though. Sometimes it just drops out for some unknown reason. I've just left my router on as an AP.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-24, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I know, I tried that too. A while back, it was just plain not working. But lately I tried again and was able to make it work. However, it is extremely slow for some reason. So much that it makes the IPTV lag. Not sure why, but unusable in my case.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-12-30, 10:31 PM

This is where I'll have a giggle, before sorting out a few things myself.

For our home network setup, which is a bit spread out and idiosyncratic, I like using my Netgear R7000 to handle all wifi and other device connections that are not Multicast / TV.

When we were using BA up until mid 2019, I did this behind an Actiontec R3000 (I spoke about it in other threads here).

Interestingly, I only left the Actiontec 5GHz radio on (with 2.4Ghz and SSID broadcast off) for the R3000 for the VIP2502 receivers, and for the Motorola VAP's that helped them out.

My Netgear router was plugged into it via Ethernet, for wifi and other ethernet including powerline AV adapters, and I was able to leave DHCP on for BOTH BA's Actiontec and my Netgear R7000.

I ditched it all 6 months ago, as I was fed up with negotiating credits with retention annually, and we went to Netfox w/Atop.

Then a good BA Neighbourhood rep visits a month ago.

I told him I didn't want VIP2502's again, and that I just wanted PVR and access to the Fibe app for our Apple TV's and remote use; I'd been waiting for that option to be available to me.

After a nice 2 year credit saved me $50 overall monthly from what I was paying for Netfox with Atop IPTV on 5 devices, I had my install today.

We were fortunate to have good installer. I have HH3K->R7000 with DHCP on in BOTH. PVR is also Ethernet to HH3K. This means all radios on the HH3K are off, the R7000 is doing what I want, and I had nothing to do when I came home from work, which was unexpected.

Wow.

I'm not yet getting close to the tested 1.17Gps through the R7000 - or even connected directly to HH3K 5Ghz radio, interestingly - but I'm only just poking into that.

I found this thread first, hope these comments help. I haven't had to put anything in front of or in parallel to the Actiontec, or now the HH3K.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2020-01-23, 05:00 PM

Couldn't we install a switch like this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00H554JL4/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

And take the sfp connector from the hh3000 and put it into a port on the switch and set up the switch for the internet vlan? And then take an sfp cable between the switch and the hh3000 and allow it to do tv and phone?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2020-02-17, 10:59 AM

Not really... The bypass of the HH3000 has been done many times..

This place will have your answers.. just make sure you read it all.. :-)

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31...e-HomeHub-3000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in