Porting a Number In - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By heans

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Porting a Number In

Does anyone have any recent experience with porting in a number from Vonage? Specifically, I'm wondering how long it should take.

We came back to a 3-service bundle and after a bit of confusion from the loyalty rep, I was told I could have the number ported. We've had it for two years.

The installer came last week (Monday the 21st) and did the TV install and told me it could take up to 5 days for the number to port over. In the meantime, my Vonage box is still active with my number, but Aliant had to give me a temp number for the time being (fine with that). I have one phone plugged into the router so I have that number, and my cordless phone is still plugged into my Vonage box. I will know when it's ported.

It's been 10 days (6 business days or so), and before I call Aliant to try and find out, I'd like to see if anyone here had any experience going my direction.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 10:05 AM
Veteran

If your Vonage account supports call forwarding, you could forward your number to the temporary one. I've done that a few times, when switching business customers to VoIP.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Yea - I thought of that for about a minute. I still have access to my Vonage number, and if I start using the temporary number then people will start using that. I don't want anyone to ever know about the temporary number.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 12:05 PM
Veteran

My experience is that number porting typically takes about one or two days. Five days would be a worst case scenario. After 5 days call the new service provider if the port is not done. It may have failed due to a technicality.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 01:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't want anyone to ever know about the temporary number.
You can still dial out on the Vonage number, at least until they cut it.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 06:35 PM
Veteran

Press *67 and then dial. It will block caller ID on the call. The caller ID at the other end will display as anonymous or private. Some people block calls with no caller ID.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-10-30, 06:45 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Also, some phones support 2 lines. Just connect the Vonage line to the main one and then switch over when the number has been ported.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-10-31, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Talked to Aliant yesterday and they said their technical team are still working on the port.

After much Googling, I come to find that Vonage are complete di**s when it comes to porting a number OUT. They will instantly port a number IN, but when you want to leave you're told "oh, we are unable to do that". Here comes the fighting I think. I'm hoping that Aliant can fight that fight and get my number out. I'm still subscribed to Vonage for another three weeks so I have no issue having two phones on the go for the time being.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-10-31, 05:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by can3gxw View Post
...but when you want to leave you're told "oh, we are unable to do that".
Yes, you should have no contact with Vonage and have Aliant handle the porting. If you contact them before the porting request comes from Aliant, people can lose their numbers.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-10-31, 08:03 PM

phone the crtc and put in a complaint about vonage.tell then everything about what they are doing.if you don't than vonage will keep screwing everyone over
Tridus likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-11-01, 11:03 AM
Veteran

In most cases, porting a phone number is a consumer right that phone companies must respect within a specified time limit. The CCTS is the first place to file a complaint. Resolving customer complaints about Canadian telecommunications and television services. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then contact the CRTC. How to Make a Complaint About Your Telephone Service.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-11-01, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

The CSR at Aliant asked me to wait a few more days and then call them back. She assured me that their back-end team was working on it. Again - I still have the service and number, and I'm not about to call Vonage myself at this point because yes - they'll close my account "so Aliant can take the number" then delete my number "whoops!"

I will contact the CCTS mid week if Aliant still can't get the number. I'm so done with this, I just want things to work they way they are supposed to work. And YES - I know that I should be able to take my number ANYWHERE, to ANY provider (as long as I'm in the same geographical area naturally).
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-11-01, 02:24 PM

You might need to get a new phone number…
If you are transferring services from:
*Voice over IP (VoIP) to landline
*VoIP to mobile
*Landline to VoIP
*Mobile to VoIP

Source: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in