Moving from ON to NS - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr.Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-27, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Moving from ON to NS

I'm possibly moving from Toronto to Halifax next year. Bell Aliant uses the same equipment as "regular" Bell, and I'm wondering if I will be able to take my Bell HH3000, PVR and STBs with me.

Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks!

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-27, 10:35 PM

Technically, yes it can be done, the question is, will they. It should be as easy as provisioning that hardware to work on the Aliant network, but getting it actually done is a whole other thing. The PVR/STBs should be easy as they get a config file from a provisioning server, and would just download the appropriate firmware. The HH3K might be more of an issue, unless they can flash the firmware out-of-band.

Bottom line is, yes, it's "possible", but unlikely that they will do it for you.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-28, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

I kinda figured it would come down to "can they" vs. "will they".

Thanks.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-28, 11:10 AM

If they want your business...they will!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-28, 12:42 PM

@flaminghomer The HH3000 is Bell property so it's probably better to return it and get a new one properly configured for Bell Aliant after you move.

Bell Aliant used to be separate from Bell Canada in Ontario, even after the purchase, with completely different inventories of equipment. Do you own any of the TV boxes? If not, it's probably best to replace them after you move. I don't know if you would be able to salvage any of the recordings on the PVR if you took it with you, because they may use different firmware and a reload would probably wipe out the recordings.

It's probably best to contact Aliant for a definitive answer, unless someone here has gone through the process recently.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-28, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

@Dr.Dave , I own all the boxes but yeah, I would return the HH3000. I'm not worried about keeping any recordings, there's never a whole lot on there anyway. The main thing is I hate to have to start renting a bunch of boxes again when these are perfectly good.

I guess I'll check with Aliant when the time comes. I just hope the answer isn't "You want to do what now? I'm afraid you've lost me".

Thanks for your input everyone.

flaminghomer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-28, 09:35 PM

You can take a look at the Bell Aliant info by changing the province on Bell.ca to Nova Scotia. I don't see any option to purchase a PVR or STB, so they may have no way to add a purchased box to their system. It's probably worth double-checking before you move - you may have to speak to a supervisor. It will be easier to sell your PVR and STBs in Ontario before you move rather than after.

They include free rental on a 4K PVR with a Better or Best package. You may be able to negotiate complimentary rental on some STBs under the circumstances if you ask nicely. You can also look at purchasing compatible streaming devices instead of renting STBs; just check the limitations.
flaminghomer likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in