Replacing actiontec router using VLAN method - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By ExDilbert
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Replacing actiontec router using VLAN method

I am on Bell fibre op internet user.

I need some help but not sure if I can post here. I just want to replace my isp router actiontec rh1000 for my own and use it just for Internet as I don't have the TV service.

I don't have Asus router that is recommended here but TP Link Archer A10 which also appears to have VLAN ID tagging capability.

I actually used to have another (older cheaper) tplink router and successfully replaced the actiontec router using the VLAN technique but I achieved this by using DD WRT because that router did not have VLAN ID tagging capability in the original TP Link firmware.

Anyways I have a 'newer' TP Link router Archer 10 TP link and this supposedly supports VLAN tagging out of the box so no need for DD WRT! Or so I thought...

So after a lot of fiddling the new Archer 10 TP link router I can't get the router to connect to the Internet using VLAN method. I suppose I could load DD WRT for this router but I have heard that DD WRT with this router doesn't support hardware NAT so I would rather not do that.

Now the guide that I used for my older to link DD WRT powered router was designed for DD WRT. And I thought that the basic principles would be the same for any router. That is to say:

Bell Aliant FibreOP with a DD-WRT Router » Blog ? Dan Joannis

1. Release the DHCP on actiontec.

2. Do the Mac clone on users own router

3. Set VLAN ID for Internet to 35 priority 0

4. Select the lan

So my question is, is there more too VLAN tagging than what meets the eye. Just because a router has VLAN tagging capability are there different underlying types of VLAN id support is this why my TP Link Archer 10 doesn't work but the recommended Asus routers do? Or an I missing something in my configuration with the TP Link router?

By the rest here is a link to the router section which explains VLAN tagging...

https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guid...twork-settings

Ps - I do have this router working perfectly with advanced DMZ but I would rather get rid of the actiontec from the chain 100%. Hence the need to see if I can get VLAN ID tagging method going... Thanks for any help on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 06:27 AM
Veteran

Avoid TP-Link. Some of their gear has problems with VLANs.

Tagged VLANs should work across makes and what you need for more than one switch.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 11:46 AM
Veteran

Another issue with cheaper brand or routers such as TP-Link is the quality of the firmware and ongoing support. They may look like a good deal but the firmware is often very generic and lacks features. Firmware support with some brands sometimes stops after a relatively short time, which may leave the router vulnerable to hacking. Some very cheap, generic routers may even ship with known security flaws and not have updates available. Cheaper routers often don't support third party options such as DD-WRT or OpenWrt either. That is not brand specific, third party firmware compatibility depends on the specific model and hardware version.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Avoid TP-Link. Some of their gear has problems with VLANs.

Tagged VLANs should work across makes and what you need for more than one switch.
Ok well i did do some research on this model and I was sold on this TP link because someone posted they had got it working with VLAN tags...

I did look at the Asus routers but they looked more expensive per similar features and the A10 TPLink did get decent reviews for a mid level router...

Ill have another go another time to try the VLAN again with the TP Link, but you may be right out maybe that VLAN tagging poorly implemented with this TP Link router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Another issue with cheaper brand or routers such as TP-Link is the quality of the firmware and ongoing support. They may look like a good deal but the firmware is often very generic and lacks features. Firmware support with some brands sometimes stops after a relatively short time, which may leave the router vulnerable to hacking. Some very cheap, generic routers may even ship with known security flaws and not have updates available. Cheaper routers often don't support third party options such as DD-WRT or OpenWrt either. That is not brand specific, third party firmware compatibility depends on the specific model and hardware version.
I believe your right I will have to watch out for those issues...I still have some time to return this router... apart from the ubiquiti routers which I did look at but are way too technical for me.. I guess this forum seems to recommend the Asus ones... But for $150 which is the best Asus router to go for, I'm not sure?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 01:22 PM
Veteran

The issue with some TP-Link gear is multicast traffic crosses between VLANs and every port is a member of VLAN 1, IIRC. This contradicts the concept that VLANs are supposed to behave as though they are physically separate switches. While this doesn't happen with all TP-Link gear, it happens often enough to just avoid them entirely.

Incidentally, I have a TP-Link access point that exhibits this problem. The first level support insisted it was supposed to work that way. It was only when I reached 2nd level that they admitted the flaw. However, there was no update to fix the problem.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 03:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
But for $150 which is the best Asus router to go for, I'm not sure?
The best bang for the buck is probably the ASUS AC1900 Dual-Band Router (RT-AC1900P.) Note the P. It's a special model made for Best Buy. It's often on sale. The best deal right now is the 2-pack. They can be set up in AIMesh mode to provide better coverage.

Why I recommend ASUS routers? The user interface is years ahead of most of the competition for ease of use. Advanced features like AIMesh. They are generally rock solid. (I've had one firmware update in 5 years that had any issue and that was minor.) Some of the best and longest lasting firmware support in the business. That includes updates from ASUS and third party support from outside developers. Merlin firmware adds a few features and bug fixes and is based on the current ASUS release.

DD-WRT supports the RT-AC1900P as well but I've found the stock firmware is usually the best option. DD-WRT is much more technical than the stock firmware. It usually adds a lot of flexibility but can also lack some of the more advanced features available in the hardware that may be supported by the stock firmware.

Ubiquity make some nice looking stuff so it has better WAF. It's AIMesh is probably easier to deploy than ASUS but probably doesn't provide any significant advantage otherwise.
Tridus and chr67 like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-10, 09:54 AM

I've just switched over to the Asus AC1900P from the Netgear R7000 because I am sick of the firmware updates from Netgear! They are always messed up or have some new issues, after months of resets and old and new FW I finally ditched the R7000. The AC1900 took about 15 mins to setup and my speeds went back to what I was supposed to be getting (500 up and down essentially) on the old R7000 my speeds were in the 200-300 range on the latest firmware but on the .42 firmware it was giving me the speeds I expect but the WIFI ( my speeds were measured on wired connection not the WiFi) was dropping every few mins. I am done with Netgear. I think the ASUS actually helps the channels change faster than the R7000 but I can't be sure of that. Either was I am sure glad I switched away from the POS Actiontec that came with the install! Its a nice dust collector now! lol
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-11, 01:37 PM

Just looked at Best Buy - the two pack costs MORE than two single purchases. One is going for $179.99, the two-pack is $379.99. Do the math. LOL. Two single purchases will only set you back $359.98, $20 cheaper. How convenient for Best Buy.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2019-10-11, 03:21 PM
Veteran

Two weeks ago the two pack was over $100 off. It looks like the single AC1900P has gone down in price. The regular price was $20 more then. When introduced by ASUS, the two pack was only about 50% more than one. It just shows that BB prices cannot always be trusted. These routers go on sale at BB fairly often. Even the regular price is better than other Canadian sources for the stock AC1900 and the AC1900P performs better.
can3gxw likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in