N.S. dsl outage hurricane Dorian. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-09, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

N.S. dsl outage hurricane Dorian.

Loads of people had dsl internet outage yesterday, dsl locked on but red light on modem always trying to connect. Was up at 9 am this morning. Here is my question, citywide and others were up and they use bell's equipment for dsl, how come they were up and not the parent company?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-10, 12:24 PM
Veteran

Power outages affecting mobile connectivity in Atlantic Canada after hurricane Dorian

Not exactly the same but the DSL outages could also be related to power outages. Why Bell and not others? The other companies' equipment could be in less affected areas or they could have better power backup. I'd say Bell is falling down on the job if their network is failing due to lack of power. Bell service was once very once very reliable during power outages but they may have started to cut corners.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-10, 12:47 PM

One of the problems with power outages is that the refueling trucks for the backup generators at Bell and other sites cannot refill the trucks due to NO power at the refueling stations.

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-13, 09:35 PM
Rookie

Are things still down?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 12:03 AM
Veteran

Bell backup generators around here use natural gas wherever possible. Smaller towns with no NG always had an issue with long outages though. They often had batteries and small gas generators. These days they could keep the batteries charged with solar panels. One exchange I worked in briefly had a diesel locomotive engine powered by NG. It once also housed a large switchboard with human operators so it needed lots of power.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 01:19 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
...a diesel locomotive engine powered by NG...
hmmmmmm....

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 11:57 AM
Veteran

Obviously converted or manufactured to run on NG. It remains the largest emergency generator I have ever seen. The generator itself was as large as the engine which was close in size to an actual diesel locomotive minus the wheels and cabin. Don't know if it's still in service but the exhaust stack is still attached to the building. The operators are long gone, replaced by computers and automated voice systems.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 12:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
One exchange I worked in briefly had a diesel locomotive engine powered by NG.
Years ago, I used to work for CN Telecommunications/CNCP/Unitel at 151 Front St. W., in Toronto. There were a few diesels, later replaced by turbines. Either way, they needed fuel to be delivered by truck.

According to what I heard on the news this week, the main cause of the cell network failures was the generators running out of fuel.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 12:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Either way, they needed fuel to be delivered by truck.
They need to rethink that strategy. NG is probably the most reliable fuel source in an emergency though nothing is 100% in the long term.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 05:49 PM

Here in Southern Annapolis County, after Hurricane Dorian, we had our power (hydro) out for 4 + days. For about a day and a half land phone lines were down, cell service was nowhere to be found and the internet was disrupted. Everything is controlled by BELL in this area.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-14, 09:36 PM
Veteran

That's why I like my NG stove. It doesn't require electricity and will keep the house warm during long hydro outages. NG is reliable because it's stored underground, transported underground and they use the NG itself to power the supply equipment. The only times I've heard of NG outages around here is when someone damages a pipe with construction equipment. Even then it's usually very localized.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-15, 12:05 AM

NG is obviously preferred to diesel powered generators. However, many tower sites in rural areas, along highways and remote locations do not have access to NG.

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-15, 09:12 AM

Yes, there is no access to NG anywhere west of Halifax, in NS.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-15, 11:50 AM
Veteran

Solar power and batteries are available just about anywhere. Wind and batteries might also be an option. Both might have issues during severe weather but batteries would last long enough until the weather clears. I find it interesting that Bell manages to roll out new technology in the GTA almost immediately but seems to be 10 or 20 years behind in less populated areas.
NovaMan likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-09-15, 12:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Solar power and batteries are available just about anywhere.
How sunny was it in Halifax during & after Dorian? Seems to me you wouldn't want to rely on solar during a storm. That's assuming the panels survive all the wind.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in