HUB 3000 new install - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-26, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

HUB 3000 new install

We are belatedly upgrading as the Hub seems to be included in the Best package now. If changing out the old modem and phone system, will the installer provide new receivers for each TV or just upgrade the existing ones with wifi connection? Do they require access to each TV and hard wired computer? Or do they just install the equipment at the entry point? Would existing PVR recordings be lost? Thank you for letting me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-26, 07:34 PM

When we upgraded, only the modem was replaced. We kept our PVR (recordings intact) and other boxes (one wired, one wireless). All other connections remained the same; no access to the boxes or other hard wired devices needed. So basically just a swap-out of one modem for another.

Don't know what your current phone system is, but this upgrade will force you off the copper line and onto VoIP.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-26, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

We have the fibre phone now. Are the boxes connected wirelessly using the pods or will they use the same CAT5 cables for the 3 set top boxes and one computer that are currently hard wired? And the current install in the basement has poorish wifi? Will the new one placed in the same spot be powerful enough to reach two floors up or are we best to use pods on each floor? Thanks again for your insight.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-26, 09:03 PM

I live in a condo, so I can't speak to different floors and signal range. I can say that the HH3000 seems to put out a stronger signal than the HH2000 we had previously. Whether you keep the hard wiring for your existing boxes and computer or go for the pods is up to you. Personally I always prefer hard wiring whenever possible.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-27, 05:52 AM

Pods still are not out in Atlantic yet, well not here in NS anyway, i'm still waiting for them myself.
home hub needs fiber brought right to the modem, so if you want it moved they need to run a new fiber line from where your current fiber gear is (not modem), cat 5 usually feeds from old fiber gear to your modem, but some houses have them right next to each other.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-28, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

So the install is done and all units were replaced (with recordings lost). The upgrade included 1GB internet with speed test showing 740,000 downloads. 620 uploads on the hard wired computer. Yet the laptop on the wifi from the new modem shows only 35 mbps download, 24 mbps upload. That seems pretty poor for a supposedly high power HH3000 unit. Is that normal? What should we do to diagnose it or has the install simply been done poorly?

Will see what happens when our son tries the playstation 4 later. But if wifi has not improved enough, can he use one of the ethernet connections with that, or would his device have to be registered first?

Thank again for your advice.

Last edited by rfin16; 2019-05-28 at 02:02 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-28, 01:51 PM
Veteran

I hope you know your not going to get anywhere near gigabit speeds over a wifi connection.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-28, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-28, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Yes I do know that. Son's desktop connected wirelessly is showing 120000 mbps so not too bad. So the laptop just has issues.

By fortunate accident, the tech came back because he left something here. He said the ethernet cables are exchangeable and a splitter will not work but a GB switch would allow us to move back and forth between the TV and PlayStation for the hard wire connection. SO if wifi is not sufficient for the PS4 , we will go that route. Thanks for your feedback.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-29, 08:33 AM

Some details on the laptop are going to be needed before anyone can begin to speculate.

What kind of laptop?
What does it have for a wireless card?
A/AC/B/G/N?
If it's 802.11ac, what revision?
How far away from the HH3K is the laptop?
Are there any physical barriers between the laptop and HH3K?
If you check the clients list on the HH3K, is the laptop connected to 2.4 or 5?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-05-29, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

I will check the details Atlantic Rebel mentioned - it is 6 years old Lenovo and has a USB wireless card because the original one failed. It was tested one floor up from the router.

BTW using the 5g option helped the laptop at least close to the modem (up to 90000 mbps). Will use an extender upstairs on 2.4 if 5G strength drops off up there since 2.4 deals with barriers better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in