Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

GPON SFP Stick

39K views 64 replies 17 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
For anyone who may not be aware the Home Hub 3000 doesn't have GPON support built in. Bell Aliant provisions a GPON SFP stick on your service and it is inserted into the Home Hub. Since SFP is a standard interface you can take it out of the Home Hub and use it in other equipment. I myself am now using a Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-X SFP. Just had to add VLAN 35 like normal and all is well. If you strictly have internet then it's easy. If you have TV then you'd need to configure things appropriately. If you have phone it's a no-go as the Home Hub acts as VoIP adapter.

#11 ·
@file

Do you know if the Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-X SFP is capable of using the entire ~1.25gbps that is available on gigabit Fibe, as long as it is split across more than 1 gigabit ethernet port on the unit, much like the HH3K can do? Ever since your initial post, I've been looking into getting that router, and it looks like a very capable router for a pretty good price!

#13 ·
Do you know if I absolutely need the Home Hub 3000 in order to be able to do this? I currently have the Actiontec R1000H (not actually using it - using a Netgear R7000 on VLAN35) with the Alcatel-Lucient white ONT. Any idea if the SFP port can be removed from the ONT and put into the Edgerouter SFP, or if there is any way to provision the SFP port on the ERX SFP without having to get the HH3000? I don't want to have to pay for the HH3000 at this point. Is it possible that if I complain that I have bad Wifi coverage or bad Wifi speeds (because it's the R1000) that they'd upgrade me for free?

#17 ·
What would I require to make the phone and TV work if I want to use my own router using the above method?
If you had ADSL, you could probably configure another modem to connect, using your account info and password to configure PPPoE. I suspect the same may be true with the fibre connection. You'll get a fibre > Ethernet box, likely Nokia that would normally connect to the 3000. To replace that, I assume you'd also need to be able to configure the PPPoE connection. However, I have no experience in doing this with Fibe. Whenever I've worked with it, the hub was always used. Also, this would provide Internet access only and not the other services, as mentioned above.

#19 ·
^^^^
It would be very nice if it were possible to put a 3000 in bridge mode, as can be done with the 1000. I came across a 3000 at a customer a few months ago, and was unable to put it in bridge mode and even the support people couldn't do it. At customers on Rogers, it's a trivial matter to put the modem in bridge mode, as I have at home.

#20 ·
That would be nice. I can't put my HH3000 in bridge mode, it seizes up when I do, and need to hard reset. Put my firewall in DMZ, seems to work fine, until I try to set up a tunnelbroker IPv6 connection, the damn thing seizes up again. Tech support is useless unfortunately. I tried the same at the boss's place, instead of seizing up, the HH3000 just reboots constantly.

#23 ·
Does anyone know if VLAN 33 gets provisioned on the GPON OLT SFP? I'm currently playing with an R3000, if VLAN 33 does show up on the OLT SFP then it's probably used for remote management. I'm not willing to give up my ONT quite yet to find out :)

Another question is about SIP VoIP on the HH3000, if it is indeed on a separate VLAN then in theory you could put a managed switch in between the HH3000 and GPON to get more information. GPON Fiber->OLT SFP->Switch SFP #1->Switch SFP #2->SFP DAC->HH3000. Set a trunk between the two SFP interfaces and then enable monitor mode to listen to the traffic going between the two.

#25 ·
Couple questions:

External SBC->C20 or are they using the SBC built into the/a C20?

Is it standard by the book SIP?

Would you just DHCP on the VLAN 34 and register to a 10.x SIP SBC?

Is the 802.1q priority set the same as TV traffic or different?

I heard through the grapevine that the small LTE macrocells they are installing here in St. John's are using OLT SFPs, did they mention if the traffic for those are on a separate VLAN?

#26 ·
They are using Acme Packet(now owned by Oracle) for their SBCs - Acme Packet 6000 Series | Applications | Oracle

The Fibe SBCs lie within 10.237.255.x based on my prior experimenting with the network, it is a /16

I know the Fibe SBCs are as follows:
NL: 10.237.255.7
NB: 10.237.255.103
NS/PEI: 10.237.255.39

There are also a set of SBC IPs for use on NGN circuits(direct fiber connection/can be called a LODA circuit), these are even stranger, you assign an interface on your firewall to an ip within a /27 they use(this is the same for everyone, so there is some NAT going on from their side)

A lot of the information in one of my older posts is still relevant: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/1633818-post94.html

I now have a HH3000 and 10.228.0.1 is still reachable, which I have a feeling is the SBC for IPTV, and does not depend on the province you are in as I did my original testing in NL, and am now in NB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.