GPON SFP Stick - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 05:47 AM

Does anyone experience random disconnects with a GPON stick and an ERX? They seem to happen once a month at about 3 or 6 in the morning. Any ideas where to look to find out the source of the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-05-08, 10:38 AM
Rookie

I like report with the help on this separate thread over https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRo...0/td-p/1462027, I now have Wireless 4k TV finally working and my HH3k is now back in box.

Last edited by Entropy; 2018-05-08 at 11:45 AM.
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-05-27, 07:43 PM

Is the Home Hub 3000 required for gigabit service? What i mean is - will they force me to upgrade to it if I request gigabit service.. I'm currently on 100/100 and still have the old Alcatel-Lucient ONT (white box) and they think I'm still using an R1000H (I'm not - I'm using a PFSense box on VLAN35).

Is the old Alcatel-Lucient ONT capable of Gigabit speeds? I know their techs will try to put me on the HH3000, I'm just wondering if I tell them I don't want it, but still want gigabit - is it technically possible?

post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-05-28, 07:13 AM

You may be able to sweet talk someone into giving you the R3000h which will leave the rest of your setup intact, but it's not a guarantee. They do have a considerable stock of R3000h units as they use those for ANY business installs, no HH3K for business.
khx73 likes this.
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-12-06, 01:12 PM

About 7 years ago file wrote instructions on how to repleace the Actiontec router with an Asus RT-N56U.

I recently switched from FibreOp 150 mbps to 1 Gbps for $1 less a month.
Once again I am following file's advice, somewhat.

I am using a TP-Link MC220L with Aliant's GPON SFP installed.
Still using the same Asus RT-N56U.
Not using the HH3000 at all.
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-12-18, 09:44 AM

So I still have 100/100 service and the old Alcatel-Lucient ONT (with the R1000H - but I'm not using that). I took away the R1000H a long time ago and replaced it with a PfSense box tagged on VLAN35. This has been working perfectly for years. I'm thinking about upgrading to Gigabit soon, since it's only $10 more than 100mb at this point...

Will they force me to upgrade to the HH3000? Is the old ONT capable of gigabit speeds if I explain to them I don't need the HH3000? The ethernet coming out of the ONT is indeed gigabit, but that doesn't mean it can pull (or push) gigabit speeds.

If I do need the HH3000 and pick up a TP-Link MC220L, is the only thing I will need to do is swap the SFP Stick from HH3000 into the MC220L and ensure VLAN35 remains tagged? I've been reading that there is also a PPPoE login that I will need to put into PFSense.. Is that true? The current (old) ONT setup I have now doesn't need any PPPoE logins. Also, does the MC220L need any configuration or is it just a dumb SFP--->Gigabit converter?

Last edited by GhaladReam; 2018-12-18 at 01:22 PM.
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-12-21, 12:03 AM
Rookie

I actually did get the MC220L (V4, with no switches to change the mode).

The router I have is an Asus AC3100 (with Merlin running on it).

So, GPON stick inserted in the MC220L, the Cat6 cable connected between the MC220L and the WAN port on the router.
The WAN type on the router set to PPPoE. Username and password set as the ones the agent told me over the phone. MTU = 1500.
VTAG 35 on the Internet port in LAN/IPTV settings.

Reboot the router. It doesn't connect. The LEDs on the MC220L are blinking.
In the router logs, I can see messages like:

pppd[580]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

So, this doesn't work for me and I can't figure out why.
I've even tried "releasing" the connection in HH3k before switching everything. Still no success.

I'm wondering what else I can be missing here.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-12-21, 09:20 AM

Quote:
pppd[580]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Found this - seems like Bell blocks the PPPOE login for a while if you try to connect more than they allow in a certain time period (15 minutes or so)

"Timeout waiting for PADO packet" in router's log - Canadian Broadband | DSLReports Forums

Reboot your router again and see if it connects the next time.

It could be that your PPPOE login information is wrong.
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-12-21, 09:40 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by can3gxw View Post
Found this - seems like Bell blocks the PPPOE login for a while if you try to connect more than they allow in a certain time period (15 minutes or so)

"Timeout waiting for PADO packet" in router's log - Canadian Broadband | DSLReports Forums

Reboot your router again and see if it connects the next time.

It could be that your PPPOE login information is wrong.
Hmm. Rebooting the router didn't help. I'll try disconnecting everything for 15 minutes before turning them back on.

The credentials are OK. I've checked and rechecked.

Thanks!
post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-12-21, 09:56 AM

Yea - if you're certain that your router is sending the right credentials, unplug it and wait a bit. Then start it up and see if it connects.

And it looks like it's only about 5 minutes.
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-01-08, 03:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badget View Post
Does anyone experience random disconnects with a GPON stick and an ERX? They seem to happen once a month at about 3 or 6 in the morning. Any ideas where to look to find out the source of the problem?
Badget, when this happened to me 2 years ago it was a billing issue that was causing my disconnects. Every 5th of the month at 3am or something like that, I would get a DHCP NAK sent to my Asus RT-N56U and my WAN IP address would be forced to change. Obviously everyone at the help desk knew what a DHCP NAK and were very helpful

I ended up overpaying on my account in order to have a credit on file and this solved the issue for me.

Since you've replaced your router, check the log files.
post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-01-23, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticRebel View Post
You may be able to sweet talk someone into giving you the R3000h which will leave the rest of your setup intact, but it's not a guarantee. They do have a considerable stock of R3000h units as they use those for ANY business installs, no HH3K for business.
That would be ideal, but is the Acatel-Lucient ONT physically capable of pushing 1 to 1.5 gigabit?
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-01-23, 09:18 PM
Rookie

So I got upgraded to gigabit and requested that I keep the ONT and R3000. Got a call the next day telling me about an appointment so I guess the lady in retention couldn't submit the order without equipment upgrade. Luckily they credited me the install fee of $60. Since the install until today I have been using the HH3000 in Advanced DMZ mode with pfSense, it actually seems to work fine. Not wanting to keep the HH3000 in my network I purchased a tp-link MC220L media converter. When you first power it on or plug the SFP in there will be a delay of almost a minute while the internal ONT boots and connects. Once it connects the fiber connection LED will light up and you can use VLANs the same way as connecting directly to the old ONT.

Currently my setup is:

ONT SFP -> Copper -> Cisco switch (allowed VLAN 33-36, no mls qos trust) -> VMware trunk -> vSwitch on VLAN 35 -> pfSense virtual adapter as untagged

pfSense WAN is DHCP, but note that you will need to login to the HH3000 and release the WAN IP or you will end up waiting 30-60 mins for the lease to timeout before pfSense will get a WAN IP (this is the same as standalone ONT and R3000).

The HH3000 also had a log message about getting a DHCP lease on VLAN 36, anyone know what that VLAN is used for? I might have a play around and see if I can see any other devices on it.
post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-01-24, 07:45 AM

AFAIK, the VLANS are as follows:

VLAN 33 - Management VLAN for Bell use -- Firmware upgrades, config (R1000H and R3000H)
VLAN 34 - IPTV
VLAN 35 - Internet
VLAN 36 - Management VLAN for Bell use -- Firmware upgrades, config (HH3000, maybe others?)

Correct me if I'm wrong.
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-03-24, 04:18 PM

Another question. Can anyone tell me if the BA Home Hub 3000 requires PPPoE credentials? I'm currently still on the Actiontec/ONT system, and this system doesn't use PPPoE in the maritimes.

Basically, if I get a Home Hub 3000 and replace it with an MC220L, will I need PPPoE credentials on VLAN35 or just set my router to DHCP?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in