Netgear R7000 Setup Guide - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-05-31, 12:10 PM

Oh man.. Glad I saw this post. I won't be changing my firmware. I'll take note of what my netgear is using currently and sit tight.

In other words, I do need to take an additional step to keep the stb farthest away happy. I'll find a spot as close to it as possible and deploy the VAP. I'll use one of the ethernet ports on the ActionTec for now. I'm trying to keep the load balanced between the actiontec and the netgear - even though I do believe the R7000 would handle all of it just fine. It's the VLAN angle via wifi using the VAP2400 for 4 receivers that leaves me hesitant to take the full plunge.

Using the Netgear as wireless AP has worked just fine so far, I haven't had to reboot the actiontec nor r7000 in over two weeks.

I did migrate my powerline AV connected receivers (two of them) over to sourcing from an ethernet port on the R7000, but not because I was having any trouble with the ActionTec itself. Sometimes signal quality (as indicated on the PowerLine AV 500 units) fluctuates, and although I don't believe it has anything to do with the routers, I decided to switch the source over to the netgear just to see if it made any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-05-31, 06:57 PM

I'm still trying to undo the damage from that firmware fiasco. I wish I could have noted what version I had instead of the almost 1 year old firmware I found.

I had no problems before upgrading. Why oh why did I do it? Always thinking newer is better....NOT!

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #63 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-01, 09:25 AM

Well it's been 3 days and I am still up poop creek. What I found out is by installing the latest firmware, even if I go back to an earlier firmware, it inherits certain problems. I went on the Netgear forums and there are some very unhappy people. I guess I'm lucky as some have bricked their router. Wow.

I'm lost right now so I have installed the latest firmware (again) and did a complete reset and re-input every settings I had before by hand. I am not using a saved config file or anything. I have never had that much trouble with their firmware.

Problem right now is that it seems to lose internet connection. I can connect to any of the devices on my network but just can't get out for some reason. I could try and try and all of a sudden, it will work. Read a page or 2 of news and then no internet again.

On my Samsung SmartTV, I have the Skype app enabled and it tells me when someone is online or not. Well since the net keeps cutting in and out, I keep seeing "So and So is online" and it keeps flashing just about every 5 minutes or so.

The LAN portion as well as 2.4G can't connect but the 5G portion can.
anyway, mea culpa for trying to get the latest. Hope anyone using a R7000 don't fall for the latest firmware. Really a pain in the rear.
Craigwell likes this.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.

post #64 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-03, 07:14 PM

Well it just keeps getting weirder. Somehow, certain programs can get through to the internet while some get blocked for a few minute. Let me explain.

I have a program that peeks in my email accounts and shows me what emails are awaiting in each account so I can either flush or accept it before it hits the final destination which is my in box.

I was playing a game online (Battlefield 1942) and during my gameplay, I could hear the mail washer program scream at me saying it couldn't connect. However my game was not suffering any disconnection but the email program was furious.

Then all of a sudden, I could here the email washer telling me it had retrieved the latest email ready for my acceptance or denial. I have to say it is set to look in my email every 5 minutes.

So every 5 minutes, either I get a nay or a yay depending if the washer could connect. I am lost for words.....

post #65 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-04, 08:32 PM

Danster, that doesn't sound like you're having any fun at all...

My FW is V1.0.4.30_1.1.67

That's how it came out of the box, and is how I'm leaving it. Mine is still in AP mode at the moment, carrying quite a load from wired and wireless, and the R3000 isn't complaining for now - no reboots required in two weeks - so I'm content for now. Not going to upgrade fw!
post #66 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-04, 08:55 PM
Veteran

That sounds a lot like a DNS issue. Anything already connected (like the game) will keep working, but anything that tries to resolve a hostname will fail. I used to see that exact thing years ago when Aliant's DNS server was wonky at times (but it's been rock solid for me for a while now).
khx73 likes this.
post #67 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-05, 06:50 PM

Fun I am not having. There is one thing that just doesn't jive. On the main page, in the basic menu,you see 6 tabs. Each tab says a story. For example, there is the INTERNET tab and it reads good. Then you have CONNECTED DEVICES and I see all my PC/Tablet/Phones on there. Then you have WIRELESS which tells me my settings. Then there are 3 other that I don't use.

When I see my internet connection on any wire connected PC popup with the exclamation saying NO INTERNET ACCESS, I log in my router and the tab that says INTERNET, tells me it is good.
However, I can't connect.

Like I said previously, before I upgraded, I never had any problems. Now, it is a nightmare.

Even though I went back in firmware, only part of the firmware gets written. The GUI of the router stayed with the higher firmware upgrade. It has almost the same numbers as the upgrade firmware.
@Craig - log in your router and press the ADVANCED tab. Let me know if your firmware version looks pretty much the same as your GUI. I just want to satisfy my curiousity. Thanks.
Craigwell likes this.

post #68 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-05, 07:55 PM

Hey Danster.. is all the vlan 34 TV stuff working fine? I wonder if it's a vlan tagging issue with 35...
Would be nice to have a peek in there with wireshark.
post #69 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-05, 08:16 PM

Danster,

This is what I have:

Firmware Version V1.0.4.30_1.1.67
GUI Language Version V1.0.4.30_2.1.38.1
post #70 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-06, 07:37 AM

@khx73 TheTV portion is working with no problem whatsoever. Everything is working except these weird internet connection droppouts. Going in the netgear forums, I am far from being the only one.
@Craigwell That confirms what I suspected. Even if one downgrades to the previous firmware release, the GUI is kept so lord knows whatelse was left behind. I'm almost tempted in getting another R7000 with old firmware just to see if the problem will still be there. If not, then I can DD-WRT the one I have right now and relocate it somewhere else in my network.

EDIT: Well enough is enough and I got mad. This is the internet so surely there had to be a place where to get the version I had before this fiasco. Well I did find one. I installed it (lost internet shortly after posting this at 8:37 this morning) and I am now in the process of reassigning all the port forwarding, DHCP reservation list etc.

The only way I could get this file was to search it using my cell phone. Didn't have connected internet access on computers but 5G on phone was still capable of reaching internet.

Funny thing is that the GUI got erased with this V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 version. If I went backwards using the version Craig has, the GUI would still stay with the latest fiasco update. However this version I just installed, erases everything.

Looking at the logs, the internet on my connected computers was lost since 9:34 last night.

Oh wow this is just too weird. As I was typing the last line, my Battlefield 1942 game started loading by itself. I had tried playing it maybe 2 hours ago and nothing had loaded. I wonder if it's because it was looking for an internet connection to my favorite server?

Boy oh boy. This is a hard lesson learned. I will not jump on latest updates if this is working like before. To have no internet and the wife chewing my ear on the other side, I can't take too much in the same day. This is supposed to be relaxing, not stressful!!!
Craigwell likes this.

post #71 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-06, 03:27 PM

Danster .... we who could easily fall into the same ill-begotten path salute you ! You're taking a hit for the team! ;-)

Hope you sort it all out soon.
post #72 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-06, 04:54 PM

Thanks Craig. As of right now, it appears to be very stable. Wife is happy she was able to connect with her laptop (2.4g) and all is well. The version I installed has problems but nothing that I own will be affected.The problem is with Arlo cameras but I have my own Zmodo DVR so it doesn't matter. Just to make sure, I disabled Arlo in the menu and like I said, all is good so far.

The log in R7000 was not really useful to try to pinpoint the problem. Trying to find what and when the connection went down, was not shown in there. Of course the router was always connected to the internet, it just forgot to share with the wired computers and 2.4g wireless.5g wireless was the only one working as well as the TV portion.

That is how you get to be a backyard expert: by numerous trial and errors. Thank goodness to my Mailwasher Pro log as it would tell me every 5 minutes that it could or would not connect.

I am keeping this firmware in my archives. I will be monitoring the next firmware cause I'm sure they'll have to put a new one out but I won't jump on it till much later....after others like me will find the errors so I don't have to!!! I've done my part.

To recap all this fiasco, whatever version you have on your R7000, do not get the firmware that came out in the last week of May. It is full of bugs and is a bi##h to try to get back working like before the update.

End of lesson.

post #73 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-06, 10:28 PM

Makes you wonder what kind of testing the new firmware goes through before release... :/

I've got a real stumper going on right now with Advanced DMZ.. can't get it to give me the public IP anymore since upgrading my server :/
post #74 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-07, 06:58 AM

That will hurt the Netgear reputation. They have a rock solid product but their firmware is shady if you ask me. Like you, I wonder who does the testing. I know we all have different setups but surely the problems must popup on their end when they test. We can't be guinea pigs, are we?

post #75 of 132 (permalink) Old 2016-06-08, 07:31 AM

Well that was a short victory. Somehow, the bugs are back. I have no idea what is going on.
What was weird is that I could only hook on one website but that was it. Not even google.

I left a post in the Netgear forums and someone said it looked like a hardware problem. If it is, it has been caused by a firmware upgrade. Now I'm looking at the possibilty of installing DD-WRT but the algorithym of that firmware doesn't give the full speed of the Netgear firmware. I'm lost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in