Share wifi through ethernet to Fibreop TV STB - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-02-17, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Share wifi through ethernet to Fibreop TV STB

Hello all,

I'm in a reno now and my main TV is offline, and I recently had this (not-so)bright idea to connect my Fibreop TV's STB to my computer monitor via hdmi.

I don't have a hard wired connection to my internet gateway near the computer, and the computer accesses the internet via Wifi.

I thought I might "Share" my Wifi connection (Windows 7) - via "internet connection sharing" - with my computer's ethernet card, then connect the ethernet card to my STB. The idea being that my computer would be like a wireless access point for the STB.

Well... it works... kind of...
I plugged in the STB and waited for it to cycle up, and voila, I had TV; for about 4 seconds, at which point the STB lost signal.

Subsequently, when I would turn the STB off, then on with the remote (i.e. not power-cycling), I would get 3-5 seconds of TV, then lost signal.

Something tells me that Bellaliant does not want me doing this, and that is why I suddenly lose signal when it seems to be working (i.e. the Microsoft OS on the STB notices that something's fishy), however on the off chance that this is not the case, does anyone have any idea what might be causing the sudden signal loss?

Best regards,

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-02-17, 11:37 PM

This is because of the nature of how IPTV works, and the fact that internet connection sharing does not route multicast traffic.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-02-18, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for replying.

So, the Actiontek router supports multicast over wifi?
If this is true (and I would guess that it is, as Bellaliant is now using wireless STBs) then as you suggest, the problem lies solely in the Windows realm.

Therefore, it should be possible to somehow use a setup like mine to link up a STB...

Any ideas?

Can the wifi card (or "internet connection sharing") be directly configured to route multicast? If not, there has to be a workaround.

Are there any Linux users out there who can see a way to do this in Linux?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-02-18, 10:57 AM

Aliant uses a dedicated VAP 2400 wireless access point and a VIP 2502 wireless STB. The VAP 2400 is connected to the Actiontec with a Cat5 cable, so they don't use the Actiontec for wireless IPTV. I don't think it's possible to force the Actiontec to send multicast over wireless. Here's the thread on Aliant's wireless STBs:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=159832

The reason your setup works for a few seconds is because Mediaroom sends unicast packets for a few seconds to give you instant channel change, then synchronizes with the multicast stream and switches to multicast UDP packets.

I don't know if "internet connection sharing" can be configured to route multicast.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-02-18, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you Dr. Dave. That explains the issues quite well.

There seem to be a few threads online concerning enabling multicast over wifi for an Actiontec router (not sure if it's the same router).

Assuming that works, there's still the problem of enabling multicast in Windows, but I found a decent thread on that too.

I'll check it out this evening.

By the way, this is just an excercise for fun. No real need involved. Although if it pans out, it could be useful...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-02-18, 11:52 AM

Just be aware that if it doesn't snoop on the multicast subscriptions then every client connected to the wireless network will be receiving the multicast traffic... which is bad. (Multicast over wireless is *cough*fun*cough*)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-02-18, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

OK. Don't fool with "snoop". I appreciate the warning.
Lodi dodi...

One of the Actiontec threads suggested to disable "IGMP proxy" as method enabling multicast over wifi. Not sure what one has to do with the other, but from what I read, this seems like it will cripple IGMP snooping. Thoughts?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-02-18, 03:19 PM

Correct, that disables it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-02-18, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Darn... Makes sense that bellaliant is shelling out for extra wireless hardware...
Thanks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2014-02-19, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

FYI: IGMP proxy was disabled by default on my Actiontec router...
Anyway. Thanks all, for you help.

Tags
fibreop , share , television viewing , wifi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in