Few Fibre Op Install Questions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-19, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Few Fibre Op Install Questions

Hey all, I'm upgrading my internet and phone to FibreOp tomorrow. I install Bell TV (satellite) for a living, but don't deal with the phone and internet at all, so I just have a few questions regarding the install to make sure I can make it as easy for the guys showing up tomorrow as possible, and there won't be any surprises for me when they show up.

My basement is mostly unfinished so I've run all my own coax and cat5 through the house. The original phone and cable feeds came into the furnace room and were distributed from there. I've since run a single coax and cat5 from there to under the basement stairs (the "media closet") where all I've run 2 coax and 2 cat5 (1 for phone, 1 for internet) for each room. Will the single cat5 from the furnace room to the media closet be enough or should I run another?

I've been in plenty of houses that have had FibreOp, but didn't really pay much attention to how everything was hooked up because I was there to hook up satellite, so it didn't really concern me. I just want to make sure that I understand what equipment they're going to be putting in. Is it just the main unit that the fibre is connected to, and then the modem?

I guess those are my only questions right now, but I'm in the process of cleaning up all the cables down there right now, so as the day progresses I'm sure I'll have another question or two. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-20, 09:56 AM
Rookie

In your case I expect the installer to place the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) in your furnace room where the other utilities enter the home. From there you can connect to the Actiontec Router via the CAT5 run to your media closet.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-20, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

What about the phone? Does that connect to the ONT or the Actiontec router?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-20, 10:40 AM
Rookie

The phone line comes out of the ONT. In my installation I used a short RJ11 phone cord connected between the ONT and a RJ11 jack mounted near the copper pair protector. Then I simply un-hooked the copper jumper that fed the phone jacks in the house from the protector and connected it to the RJ11 jack.

Others have connected the RJ11 cord from the ONT directly into any available phone jack which happen to be nearby, thus back feeding dial-tone around the house.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-20, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

There are no phone jacks nearby, so I guess I'll be running a second Cat5 from the furnace room to the media closet. They can use the current one for the phone and I'll run a new one for the router. Easy peasy.

Thanks for the info. It'll make their life easier because they pretty much just have to show up and put in the missing pieces of equipment and they don't have to run any lines, and my life better because I can run the lines how I want lol.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-20, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Fairly painless install, just time consuming. He called about about 3:10 to say he'd be here in 20 minutes. I showed him where the furnace room where the existing copper line came in, and the media closet where all the Cat5 went from. He ended up installing the ONT and modem in the media closet. I helped him run the flexible fibre across the basement ceiling from point A to point B. He had to make a few phone calls because at first we weren't getting any signal on the modem, and and then no dial tone on the phone. Once all that was figured out and all the cables were tidied up he was done. All said and done he was here about 2 1/2 hours. Great guy, very professional, no complaints at all. Even gave me a few extra of the RJ45 quickport connectors and surfacemount boxes so when I'm ready I can finish hooking up the rest of my lines.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-25, 01:35 PM

nice picture, what all needs power? i only see one outlet i need to run a new outlet to where i want it installed and just want to make sure ive got enough of them
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-25, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

The ONT and the modem/router need power, so only 2 outlets needed.

I didn't have a double electrical box, or else I would have installed 2 outlets, incase I want to plug in something else. Never know what I'm going to need to power in the future.

A few days before the install that was just a bunch of cat5 and coax hanging all over the place under the stairs. I put in the new outlet, a light on a switch and the plywood to mount everything the night before the install. All the coax is still coiled up behind everything, so I still need to finish organizing that, but it's a hell of a lot neater than it was.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-25, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

My terminology may be off, so forgive me.

The white box in the middle is the ONT (Optical Network... Terminal?) which the fibre connects to, and the phone line is connected to. This plugs into the backup battery and doesn't require it's own electrical outlet.
The white box on the left is the backup battery for the ONT. This needs an outlet.
The black box on the right is the modem/router. This needs an outlet.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-25, 04:04 PM

Ok that sounds good, I didn't realize that the big box next to the ont was the battery backup. I went out and got a double wall plug and installed that so should have enough power for whatever they need to plug in. And for future use also.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-03-26, 08:48 AM
Rookie

Just a side note to anyone having FO installed...

If you would like a free 5 or 8 port 10/100 switch, tell your installer that you want the switch to group the connections for the STBs together so they only use one port on the router. The installers will have the 10/100 switches on-board their vehicles.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-18, 05:06 PM
Rookie

Fiber Op Bundle Install - Expectations?

I recently left shaw direct and have scheduled a fiber op install for early July. I am looking foreword to the new services (tv, Internet and phone), however, I am concerned about a couple of things.

* Space. How much room should I expect to use for all the equipment? From some of the pictures I have seen on this site it appears there are several boxes and power supplies that will need to be placed/mounted.

* Location. Does anything have to be placed on the outside of my house? And, where does the actual cable or line come into my house? Does it have to come in where my current bell phone line comes in or can I get the tech to put it in a more practical place for my needs?

* Modem. If the tech puts all the "boxes, router, modem" in my downstairs will the quality of my wifi and tv signals be degraded. Can the tech bring the main lines in the basement but have the router and modem located upstairs?

I am very new to fiber op so any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-06-18 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Moved to Aliant forum
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-18, 06:03 PM

The equipment does not take much space I mounted it on a bord makes it easyer to access the tv boxes dont use wifi they are hard wired to the modem so where ever yoy want the modem yoy will need to run a few Ethernet lines. The signal for wifi is ok not the best but ok

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-18, 06:05 PM

Welcome Grayman, To sum up as long as you're around when they do the install the Bell Aliant Installer will work with you to determine the best locations for the components. Nothing has to be placed outside of your house and it doesn't have to come in where your current services do. they could run it from the poll to the other side of your house if necessary. (I've seen installers do this, and they have also confirmed this)

My Install has the line coming in where my Power enters the house, however I did not have a spare plug near the panel, since my basement was not finished he mounted part of the equipment on a floor beam 10 ft away and wired the Router upstairs.

Now I've been to a few other relatives places with Fiber installs, they Placed all the equipment that you saw above in a shelf in their entertainment center in the basement.

The Router that they provide is fairly powerful as it reaches 2 floors up in that house as well. It's not your typical router you buy at Futureshop. They typically spend 2-3 hours doing the install to make sure that everything is functioning as it should.

To sum things up each install is different and they will work with you. the techs are "normally" very friendly and helpful.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-20, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the information everyone. I am learning things around here!

From your description philster, I can bring my fibre op line into the house and either mount the equipment right there or have the tech bring it to another locacation that works best for me? The reason I am concerned about this is that I rent a side of my basement to a tenant, and as luck would have it, all my services including electric panel, enter the house through the apartment side. It wasn't a problem with shaw direct since its just a coax cable coming thru, but with fibre op, with all the gear, it becomes a challenge. Mt house is brick and stone on all sides and I would like to continue to use the currently drilled holes.

On a similar note, would it be possible to have the line and ONT, battery located in the basement and have the modem on the main floor? I'm thinking about the
Strength of wifi in this case.

Tags
fibe internet , fibe tv , fibreop , install , installation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in