Few Fibre Op Install Questions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-20, 05:06 PM

Yes, that is my configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-20, 05:48 PM

as long as you have a way to run a line from the basement to where you want the modem located upstairs without going outside it's possible
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-20, 06:33 PM
Rookie

Is that because cat5 cable is not weather durable? I thought it was.

One last thing, do the lines from the stb's go to the modem or the ont?

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-20, 06:46 PM

Only one Line runs from the ONT to the router (modem), the remaining ports on the ONT are not active, Since I have an unfinished basement the tech ran one cat6 cable from the ONT and battery/power supply upstairs to the router.

He then ran a 4 port switch off of the router for my TV's (STB's) then ran the cat 6 cables for the STB's from that switch back into the basement completed the run to the separate rooms, and brought the cable back upstairs in each of the rooms I wanted tv, he actually put an Ethernet jack on the baseboard.

Had the technician decided it was easier to use existing coax cable he would have simply run one coax cable from the router(modem) upstairs back into the basement and tied into the main splitter coax..

However each install is pretty much 100% custom and they will work with you to place the equipment to suit both yours and their needs.

My install was 2 years ago, at the time I asked him why he used a switch for the TV runs instead of using the available ports on the router, he said this way it leaves me with extra ports to hook other devices onto the internet if I want.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-20, 08:40 PM
Rookie

Sounds good. I didn't realize that Aliant techs would go through that much trouble to conceal the cable runs. I also like the idea of having my ends terminate at the wall near the Ty's, sometimes with plates. It's something that star choice/shaw would never provide, at least in my experience. The terminated ends look so much cleaner and are probably easier to work with.

Thanks a lot.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-21, 06:44 AM
Veteran

In my case I already had a second router upstairs with everything plugged into it, so the tech ran a cable from their router in the basement to that one. Even put a baseboard jack in for me so it looks pretty good.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-05-29, 07:21 PM
Rookie

I have had FibreOp for a while now and I've been wondering about something. Why would I need a battery to supply backup power to a cordless phone? Unless there is a way to plug the phone's base unit into the battery, (and I did not see one when it was installed), the phone will not work in a power outage. Am I missing something?
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-05-29, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

The backup battery is to keep the phone service up and running, not your actual phone handset. If your only phone is a cordless phone and you have no power, you're out of luck.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-05-29, 08:44 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
...not if your cordless phone is plugged into a UPS like mine is. I also have a corded phone that doesn't require "power". Both are recommended, at least the latter, and/or a cell phone.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Tags
fibe internet , fibe tv , fibreop , install , installation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in