Bell Aliant NextGen Home Security - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-01-24, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Bell Aliant NextGen Home Security

Bell Aliant NextGen Home Security

The ultimate in smart home security and automation on Atlantic Canada’s most advanced network is coming soon.

Bell Aliant NextGen Home Security™ is a fully digital, Internet-based solution that allows you to monitor, protect and control your home from a smartphone, tablet or PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 05:35 AM

Bell Aliant NextGen Home Security™ now available

Looks like it's live now. Sure it'd be nice if we can get some reviews of the service here.

Can you also include if you're using the Actiontec or a replacement router.

https://promotions.bellaliant.net/nextgen/default.aspx
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-06-01, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

I will wait till some deals start to appear.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-06-01, 06:41 PM

Funny how ROGERS has it as well for $24 a month. Wonder which one is best?

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-06-01, 08:56 PM

Rogers $24/month plan is self monitored. If you want 24/7 monitoring it jumps up to $38 a month. Also Rogers uses a slightly different platform, although its from the same vendor.

But even at $38 a month, it's still better value than Aliant, according to their website. Rogers has cellular connectivity at no extra cost, while Aliant charges an extra $10 for it. Also Aliant requires either POTS service or the $10 cellular subscription, and it also requires Aliant internet as well. Rogers will allow any broadband connection, as long as you don't want remote video monitoring and does not require POTS as it uses broadband and cellular to send alarm signals. Lastly, the Rogers pricing drops down by $5 a month as well if you buy their touchpad outright ($459), the $38 includes a $5 monthly charge for renting the touchpad.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 06:12 PM

Regardless, I think it's too much money for both anyway. I have ADT already for $30 a month and I have my own 8 camera CCTV system hooked to my network. With the software I have, I can watch my cams anywhere in the world. No renting anything from anyone.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 09:56 PM

Yep, its a bit on the pricey side but for those who don't feel comfortable with a DIY home automation system and want a monitored security system that doesn't require POTS, Rogers offers very competitive pricing. Im surprised Aliant is charging an extra monthly fee for cellular considering they have their own cellular network.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Im surprised Aliant is charging an extra monthly fee for cellular considering they have their own cellular network.
Aliant uses Bell Mobility, which is a separate company (although BCE does own about 44% of the shares of Aliant).

http://bellaliant.ca/english/ir/pdf/..._FactSheet.pdf
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-07-04, 11:51 PM
Rookie

The whole cell backup is really a bit to much of over kill in my opinion. Some Alarm companies I've dealt with in the past didn't really like them and the technology in them is at least two years behind the most current cell phone networks. Yes most of these cell backups are CMDA, not 3G or better. I think the first 3G stuff only hit the market a year ago. Could be wrong on that, just not many people use them.

I'd say stick with a traditional alarm company and if you are worried about someone cutting the phone line, disguise some electrical wires to look like phone lines. That would teach any would be robber a good lesson.

I used to have a boss that was clueless on computers but still managed to have a remote camera setup in his Florida home and was able to check in on this daily from his Chicago home. He set this up on his own and the only help he needed was for flash to be updated/installed on his PC.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-07-13, 01:30 PM

Most are GPRS or EDGE. Even the one in the Rogers product uses EDGE with it's latest home security equipment. 3G is a relatively recent development. However, the packets of data being transferred are so small that EDGE can handle it just fine and the alarm industry considers it to be the safest method of alarm transmission. Disguising wires to look like your telephone wiring on the outside of your house doesn't do much as the burglar will likely just cut every single cable they see or they will open up your demarc and snip everything in there.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-07-13, 09:11 PM

Rather that disguising a power line to look like a phone line, I think you'd be more sucessful to disguise your phone line to look like a power line. They'd have to be pretty dumb to try cutting a power line, not knowing if it's live or not.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-07-15, 11:56 PM
Rookie

When you get to that smart of a criminal mind, they are not going to waste their time on residential break-ins. Not really worth their time. There was a group around Moncton going to various places, cutting the 25-100 pairs going into buildings and waiting to see if the RCMP would show up from a safe distance. They would proceed only if no one responded after they cut the lines. If no one showed up, there was no cell backup and robbed the place.

Then you get the criminal "master minds" that try to steal a point of sale dummy terminal from a Tim Horton's Drive through window. This caught on camera, including the point that buddy decided to cut all the cables from the terminal to the counter. That included the power cable. One large spark, buddy getting stunned from it while hitting his head in the drive-through window. Shook it off and ran off. Pretty sure he/she got caught. If this went to court, how could you not laugh when that footage would be played as evidence?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 2013-08-16, 12:26 PM

NextGen Home Security

Has anyone tried this product yet? Any thoughts or reviews on it

Last edited by 57; 2013-08-16 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 01:46 AM
Rookie

So I'm getting this installed next week. Anybody already have it installed that can provide feedback or any tips for when the tech is here installing? If not I will try to put up some info here after the install.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 08:50 PM

They tried to talk me into it when I called to install FiberOP but I was turned off when I heard that everything was wireless (interference, batteries to replace, etc.) I prefer my hard wired system.

Wireless motion and smoke detectors make it dead easy for the installer but are more expensive upfront and more troublesome after they are installed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in