Getting out of BellTV Contract to get FibreOP - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Getting out of BellTV Contract to get FibreOP

Hey everyone,

Great news! BellAliant just announced that they are rolling FibreOP out here in Gander, NL starting in a few weeks, and I am at the top of the list for hookups.

My conundrum is, back in March, I was told by BellAliant that they had no expansion plans for here(not surprised though, the CSR I spoke with today hadn't even heard about the new expansion yet), so I signed up with BellTV 2 year term.

Has anybody here tried, or successfully gotten out of a BellTV contract to switch to FibreOP? I have heard of this being done to switch from BellTV to FibeTV, however, I assume they are able to do this because they are both Bell products, managed by the same people. I could see them arguing that even though it's the same type of switch, and still the Bell name there, BellAliant is operated as a separate business unit.

Thanks!

- M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 11:46 PM

You can break the contract but that will incur a cost, of course. It may negate the savings you would gather in the short term.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

That's an option I'll take if needed, I'd just prefer not to, if there is a way that they will allow me to just switch. Overall monthly savings, combined with the promo rate offered would still save in the long run, even if I break contract, I'd just prefer to maximize my savings.

- M

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-07, 03:32 PM

Tell them you are moving to a new address and will be renting and the landlord will not allow Satellite dishes on their dwelling.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-07, 06:45 PM

I recall that Bell requires proof before they let you out of the contract - lease and letter from the landlord.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-07, 08:33 PM

You could always try the honest approach. Phone and tell them you're interested in switching. If they're rolling out new fibre in your area, they might waive the cancellation fees in order to increase their foothold in your market. Might...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-08, 06:51 AM
Veteran

You might want to try the reverse approach - call Aliant sales and tell them you'd like to subscribe but you have an ongoing Bell Satellite contract and ask if they can do something about it. They're not actually the same company but they do have a relationship, so Aliant might be better positioned to get that contract terminated without a fee if the customer is staying within the Bell family, so to speak.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-08, 02:11 PM

I have heard of aliant crediting your new account with the cost of your cancelation from another subscriber so i would try to call aliant first and see what they are willing to do for you
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-08, 02:18 PM

Lots of good suggestions. Hope one of them works out for you. I remember when I lived in NL, the DSL speeds were atrocious.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-09, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas, Aliant has said that I need to speak to Bell about my contract with them. I would hope they have some business agreement buried somewhere, sadly, in true Bell style, none of their CSRs know about it, and will argue to no ends that it doesn't exist. It would make sense, as they don't penalize customers for switching from Sat to Fibe in Ontario, furthermore, Aliant is investing in expanding the FibreOP network in Ontario.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-09, 03:39 PM

Even if such an agreement were to exist it would effectively be Bell Aliant paying the termination fee on your behalf and absorbing that cost in return for potentially making it up long term. Both companies are separate, down to the finances. You leaving Bell prematurely (even by going to Bell Aliant) is a revenue loss to them.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-09, 04:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticRebel View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas, Aliant has said that I need to speak to Bell about my contract with them. I would hope they have some business agreement buried somewhere, sadly, in true Bell style, none of their CSRs know about it, and will argue to no ends that it doesn't exist. It would make sense, as they don't penalize customers for switching from Sat to Fibe in Ontario, furthermore, Aliant is investing in expanding the FibreOP network in Ontario.
Yeah, this is where the issues are. Fibe is still "Bell". FibreOp is "Bell Aliant", which is not the same company.

It's screwy, but there it is. You may just have to go through the rest of the contract on the TV side, but it probably won't stop you from getting FibreOp Internet.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-10, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Both companies are separate, down to the finances.
Quote:
Fibe is still "Bell". FibreOp is "Bell Aliant", which is not the same company.
And hopefully it stays that way. Everything Bell Canada touches turns to crap.
Aliant is the precious little snowflake in the cesspool that is the Canadian telecom industry.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-14, 02:55 PM

I was on a 12 month Bell Aliant TV bundle contract when I switched to FibreOp. I called them as soon as they announced it in my area and asked what would happen if I wanted to switch. They told me they would release me with no penalty when it became available, which I'm happy to report they honoured.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2012-09-14, 02:56 PM

Bell Aliant TV is Bell Aliant, and they actually make more money off you on fiber than not - so no surprise.

Tags
bellaliant , belltv , contract , fibreop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in