Replace Actiontec router with Asus RT-N56U, etc. - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

It's a deal breaker for you, sure, but not for others. This is a viable alternative that exists now and is fully functional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Uh, as for your comment about being at their mercy... Asus provides a complete tarball containing EVERYTHING needed to build an image and source code for a lot of the Ralink parts. I've been tweaking things as I've wanted to here:

https://github.com/joshnet/rtn56u

Including changing out the apps used for various parts.

So no... I'm not at their mercy.
post #63 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 06:04 PM

Thanks for sharing Josh!!!

I'll take a look at your HARD WORK!

It seems your/Asus firmware work is a great solution for very specific circumstance of FTTH Bell Aliant services.

For most people purchasing that router doesn't make sense when you have the RT-N16 and soon to be released RT-N66.

Shame they didn't include more flash space isn't it!

BTW who is Lineo, inc. and Erik Andersen? He must be the head of that working for Asus. He's from Caldera from what I gather... Seems like some other dude called mjn3 prob from Taiwan is also active a well.

So it's stable and runs well? In the past any experience I've had with those guys work and Asus firmware has been... horrible...

Well when compared to Tomato et al!

I'm not as smart as those guys so I'm under Andersen's and mjn3's mercy...

I'd rather be under Toastman's, Victek's and Brainslayer's and the OpenWRT community!

LOL

file it would sure be great for someone like you to add those types of features into the Broadcom distros... Shibby has worked on 3G and better GUI VLAN support etc. As it stands your firmware looks great for GUI settings for FTTH BA services. Those same settings/scripts can be set/made via SSH into a Tomato router but no GUI for lusers...

post #64 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Yes, this thread is supposed to be about an alternative to the Actiontec... and due to the architecture of how FibreOP is that require specific support within the router. Very few have that support to the degree needed. It's not about a general all purpose router for everything, although for some the RT-N56U would fit that scenario quite fine.
post #65 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Additionally - I do have the source code for the RT-N66U and support for Bell Aliant will be added to it by me but the price point is substantially more than the RT-N56U and the performance of it for WAN traffic remains to be seen.
post #66 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

I have two Asus routers in production: one for my residential FibreOP line and one for my business FibreOP line. They both work perfectly for internet and the residential one also works great for TV. Combined over the past month they have transferred over 2TB all while maintaining a load of 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 due to the hardware NAT offloading.
post #67 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 06:35 PM

I mean no ill comment on your hard work either Josh!

Looks like you guys are doing all the right things like ripping out dproxy and udhcpd and using dnsmasq!

Also miniupnpd is much better than linux-igd!

hmm... Perhaps you guys might start a RAlink revolution!

Thing for me is external antenna connectors... People always complain about coverage and as anyone that understands wireless realize it's always EIRP. Without external ported antenna support you can never affect/change EIRP by using higher gain antennas. I've taken a look at that RT-N56U PCB and it's internal antennas look very poor.

What is the range like with it?

Swapping boxed RT-N16 antennas with some L-com 7dBi rubber duck omni can give you enterprise AP coverage. With RT-N56 your stuck with the PCB antennas unless your willing to break out the solder station. They are no more than 3 dBi as well !!!
post #68 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

I don't use the Asus units for wifi, they are downstairs in the server room. Other reviews have showed them as being quite good.
post #69 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I have two Asus routers in production: one for my residential FibreOP line and one for my business FibreOP line. They both work perfectly for internet and the residential one also works great for TV. Combined over the past month they have transferred over 2TB all while maintaining a load of 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 due to the hardware NAT offloading.
Wow that's very impressive! I get very similar results with RT-N16 and torrent loads. I've seen Toastman's QoS on N16 manage NAT on an apartment block with 300 or more clients! I've seen WISP operators use them for QoS at PTP link points. Do you use QoS with that setup?

What speeds do you get with that service?

I generally don't use them as APs either unless it's for a basic residential. I use UBNT Picostation 2 HPs or Nanostations.
post #70 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

The residential has 70Mbps down and 30Mbps up. The business has 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up. I do hit these speeds, they aren't just marketing nonsense. I do not use QoS, traffic that is important is put onto the business line which never reaches max.
post #71 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 07:11 PM

FANTASTIC upload speeds! Fantastic for a dev or to host. How many IPs do you get? Are you behind any kind of transparent proxy BS? Can you host port 80 etc? What does it cost? You're very fortunate as very few in NA have such services available let alone the world!

Very elite and rare pipe you have there friend!

The only thing that would compare is Shaw's FTTH GigE service. It's also sync so you actually get GigE on the upstream! Areas of Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton have the service. They are using the same Alcatel-Lucent 7342 OLT as the Telcos as well. The ONT is also the same from what I've heard... What ONT did Bel Aliant give you in NB? Shaw is using EPON not GPON and uses Cablelabs new DOCSIS Provisioning of EPON. The hardware/network can do 1.25 Gbps symmetric and in turbo mode up to 2.25 Gbps!

Shaw is also deploying a new backbone with Alcatel-Lucent that's 100 Gbit/s per channel with capacity for 88 of those channels or 8800 Gbit/s for it's MAN/WAN operations. Calgary and Edmonton are already linked using this Alcatel-Lucent technology and within five years or less you'd think their entire national network will be transitioned over.
post #72 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

This thread is getting *VERY* off topic. If you want to continue the discussion please start a new one.
post #73 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 08:18 PM

Sorry to go off topic. I've done a lot of searching now on that Actiontec and it's just HORRILBE!

Isn't it pathetic that a dev/customer like you can come up with a better router and firmware than a HUGE telco!

Anyone on that service should purchase the RT-N56U and flash your firmware onto it obviously!

What did that Bell Aliant tech say when you showed him your IPTV performance?
post #74 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Nothing. He was speechless.
post #75 of 1752 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 08:31 PM

LOL

Do you have Mediaroom for your STBs? Do they have Mediaroom in Windows Media Center support like this video?

Can you use an Xbox as an STB as well?

MS Mediaroom is a very cool solution for MSOs and in some ways is a better solution than Gateway or the Echostar solutions.

Do they use coax in the house for TV distro or is it all ethernet? I wonder if any of their devices use MoCA.

For me a PC PVR solution has to have access to the MUX and not some CRAPPY analog capture even if it's component HD.

Echostar had a BDA driver a few years ago they never released that allowed you through their STBs like a 9242 access to the MPEG/AVC stream with full guide data inside of MCE with digital stream MPEG-TS/GS decode in MCE all via the ethernet port! It also worked with early Mediaroom incarnations on a dev platform and Xbox 360. Seems like an elegant solution to get passband/alternate MSO TV services like Bell Sat TV onto your local IP LAN network! They axed the dev team and project when they aquired slingbox.

MSOs are PARANOID about given cutomers access to the MPEG-TS/GS or QAM transport streams and this is SILLY IMHO!

Willing to share and explain the MSO CPE solution Bell Aliant provided you? IE your STBs, "modems" routers et al. I take it you get all your services this way. How do they terminate POTS into your home? Do they use an ATA on your LAN or do they just leave PSTN services alone? I guess they would use a SIP ATA solution if voice services ride over the same FTTH network. How do they handle power backup robustness for CRTC 911 compliance?

This is why I feel the cable operators have a better solution because TV, data/voice ride over separate "networks"/carriers at the "local loop". The fact TV services come in on QAM and only the VOD services that are inherently dynamic use the DOCSIS network. They can also push the QAM encoding to the "edge" at the diplex filter HFC/loop and use their fiber IP network up to that point. Arris have edge QAM encoders that do this very close to CPE location if pushed right to the HFC edge. For cable telephony the only problem is the batteries required at repeater/amp locations for CRTC/FCC compliance. How do the telco handle this with digital phone services over FTTH?

Again sorry if this is a thread hijack! We can continue via PM if you like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in