FibreOP services launching in the Greater Moncton Area - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

FibreOP services launching in the Greater Moncton Area

Bell Aliant today announced that it has begun the launch of its fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) network in the Greater Moncton Area.

Customers in the City of Dieppe can order FibreOP services now with the Town of Riverview and the City of Moncton to follow this fall.

Once the FTTH network becomes available in all parts of Moncton, Bell says customers will be able to sign up for premium Internet service with download speeds of up to 70 Mbps and upload speeds of 15 Mbps. The FibreOP Internet Protocol Television service (IPTV) will offer over 300 digital channels, including over 98 music channels and 60 HD channels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-09-09, 01:21 PM

Apparently they started rolling out in Riverview now but Moncton is still waiting. I wonder why the most populous city has to wait until last?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-09-09, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

From a business perspective it makes sense to roll it out in a smaller area, work out any issues and then roll out to bigger areas.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 12:40 AM

I figured it would be launching in the Greater Moncton/Dieppe area soon, as my HD package here in saint john had about 5 french HD channels added in the middle of august...these are not listed on the Bell Aliant website yet and the only theme pack I subscribe to is the Knowlege HD.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 07:17 AM

Why does patience have to take so long?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-10-28, 10:48 AM

FibreOp is available in some areas of Moncton. Check here: http://productsandservice.bellaliant...essIndicator=r
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-10-28, 01:58 PM

My install date in next week. Looking forward to it, even if the TV offerings are a little less than what I have now with BEV. For example, time shifting to the west feeds is extra, the NL channel NTV is not included in the basic package, etc. I still can't get a straight answer from the CSR's about Family channel - are both East and West feeds included?

But other than some minor irritations, the internet will be more than worth it for someone like me who downloads a huge amount of TV anyway.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-10-28, 02:37 PM

There are no west feeds for any of the specialty channels just the main networks. The big reduction between FibreOp and BEV is the regional stations, you're only going to get local, Eastern and Pacific feeds for Canadian channels and with the option of a dual tuner PVR for only $5 you can record 2 channels at the same time as watching another recorded show, so the only thing you're ultimately losing is the regional news coverage.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-10-28, 03:38 PM

By not having west feeds of the specialty channels, like Family, Teletoon, etc that is a fairly big discrepancy for a household with small kids.

My kids enjoy watching them before bed when the west feeds have more of the programming they like at that time. I think to be competitive, Aliant may have to revisit this in the future.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-10-28, 03:45 PM

I'm in the same boat but the PVR solves this problem too, the kids can watch the shows you've recorded when it's their TV time we record a couple of shows in the middle of the day or at night in the eastern zone and they're ready for the kids to watch them on our schedule.

I think instead of adding western feeds Aliant needs to focus on rolling out mediaroom which gives us more control of where and when we watch TV as well as adding other channels we don't yet have. We're now seeing issues with BEV having space issues because of all the locals and alternate feeds they offer. They are a national broadcaster BellAliant isn't and doesn't need to waste that space.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-11-03, 09:03 AM

Using the phrase 'wasting space' in reference to the TV solution Bell Aliant has deployed is sort of meaningless... due to the architecture only the channels you are actively viewing are using bandwidth so unlike the cable companies (although some can argue switched video is similar) and satellite companies it is perfectly fine for Bell Aliant to keep adding channels, provided the equipment itself has the capacity versus the medium for transmission.

I do agree that Microsoft Mediaroom is where they need to go next though to bring themselves into the modern age. That and more HD channels.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-11-03, 09:21 PM

Website has been updated:
Quote:
Now rolling out in Moncton, Riverview & Grand Bay-Westfield, NB
I also spoke to an Aliant crew laying fiber and he said they are working through the winter.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 06:45 PM

Seems in Moncton it is rolling out in the north end first.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 07:18 PM

My installation was today - in Kingswood Park
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-12-11, 04:55 PM
Rookie

Picture Quality an issue?

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone finds the picture quality on Fibre-op hdtv to be poor. I switched from Bell Satellite where the image was crisp and clear - on regular tv shows and sports. The picture I have now is much poorer. The sports are ok if you have a camera that shows action from afar. But if they do a closeup of a play or replay, the picture is very fuzzy- like it is standard definition. In all cases, it seems like it can't keep up to the action.

When watching network TV there are very fuzzy images around the outline of objects.

Also, the standard definition channels are almost unwatchable.

I have tried all settings I know of on the TV itself with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

The tech guy who set it up used the existing HDMI cable and coax cable to the TV. Don't know if this affected it.

FYI - If anyone in the house uses a peer-to-peer internet site to download videos or movies, it causes huge problems with the tv signal as the computer is downloading the programs. I found if the download is stopped, the quality improves.

Tags
bell aliant , fibreop , ftth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in