FibreOP services launching in the Greater Moncton Area - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-12-11, 05:26 PM

I switched from Starchoice and have been very impressed with the picture quality. I have also had torrents going at at 25 mbs and have not observed any picture problems.

My settop box is connected to the gateway by ethernet cable, and my connection to the tv is via HDMI.

It sounds to me like something is wrong with your installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-12-11, 08:59 PM
Rookie

Thanks

It is good to know that I should expect more.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-12-13, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdondo
Hi:

I was wondering if anyone finds the picture quality on Fibre-op hdtv to be poor. I switched from Bell Satellite where the image was crisp and clear - on regular tv shows and sports. The picture I have now is much poorer. The sports are ok if you have a camera that shows action from afar. But if they do a closeup of a play or replay, the picture is very fuzzy- like it is standard definition. In all cases, it seems like it can't keep up to the action.

When watching network TV there are very fuzzy images around the outline of objects.

Also, the standard definition channels are almost unwatchable.

I have tried all settings I know of on the TV itself with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

The tech guy who set it up used the existing HDMI cable and coax cable to the TV. Don't know if this affected it.

FYI - If anyone in the house uses a peer-to-peer internet site to download videos or movies, it causes huge problems with the tv signal as the computer is downloading the programs. I found if the download is stopped, the quality improves.
My fibre op performance is nothing like this.

In my case gaming or torrent downloads have no impact on picture quality. My picture quality is the same as I had previously using an Expressvu 9200 over component or HDMI (sometimes great, sometimes a bit soft).

Charles:
Samsung HLN5065W, Oppo 971H, Xbox 360. Viewsonic 4285P with PS3. Bell Aliant FibreOP TV

Last edited by CharlesK; 2010-12-13 at 11:51 AM. Reason: quote for context

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-12-13, 12:15 PM

I made the same switch from BellSatellite to FibreOp and it's really day and night. My installer replaced all the cables I had from the outlets to the TVs. picture quality is superb and even with 2 active internet connections and a download running on both PVRs it's still beyond that of what I was getting via the dish.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-12-13, 03:04 PM

so is it safe to say they are using different hd feeds than the satellite? The reported poor hd quality has been the big hang up in switching for me.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-12-19, 05:46 PM
Rookie

Not much progress

The Bell Aliant guy came today. I had recorded some of the issues I was having to make sure he could see them. He said there was a definite problem so proceeded to replace a cable (hole in house) swap the PVR and finally swap the modem.

The main issue seems to be with TSN, Sportsnet, CBC. etc. All the Canadian channels that show live sports - hockey is the worst - basketball not good either - have a pulsing flash every 10 to 15 seconds. The quality of these channels is quite poor. The NFL football on CBS, Fox were not bad.

The guy said he had not seen anything like it before but couldn't think of anything else to do. I am not sure what to do now - may have to cancel the fibre-op bundle - but don't really want the hassle.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-12-20, 03:58 PM
Rookie

Last one I think

If anyone ever comes up with the same problem of "flashing" in hockey and basketball games, here is a possible reason - unfortunately not a solution.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...840#post741840

and here

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=86801

I didn't notice it on express-vu- not sure why it shows up now- but another tech guy was here today and every signal checked out 100%. This was a marked improvement from early on last week when things tested way out of sync.

So at least I know it is not a fibre-op problem.

By the way, I got excellent support on the phone and from the tech guys.

Tags
bell aliant , fibreop , ftth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in