Aliant VIP1200 STB conflict with wireless network - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Question Aliant VIP1200 STB conflict with wireless network

Hi folks,

Strange new problem, possibly just a configuration issue, but possibly an Aliant STB issue. Looking to hear from anyone with ideas or with the same issue!

My setup:

I am using the Aliant Gigaset modem router as the gateway and DHCP server, and have extended the wireless network downstairs with a length of Cat5 cable, terminated in 1-port sockets. Everything works as it should, until I connect the STB to the wireless AP's hub/switch.

Then, my wireless network stops handing out IP addresses to wireless clients. The STB works, and the HTPC still works (both connected via Cat5 to wireless AP). It seems like the Aliant STB is interfering with the wireless DHCP somehow... but I don't know how!

Anyone have any ideas? Also not sure if I should have posted this in the general computer forum instead - feel free to move if needed.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 12:31 PM

I don't have the Gigaset, but the 2wire won't let you mix and match the LAN and TV networks. I'm assuming they do that so your LAN traffic won't degrade the TV signal (and then require a service call). If you want to extend your network, you'll have to either run another Cat5 or double-up the ends.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply - I'd head about the VSDL 2wire thing, but don't really know the difference... also not sure what you mean by "double up the ends"?

The mixing of TV and LAN traffic doesn't seem to be an issue for wired devices... just the wireless breaks for some reason.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 10:06 AM

Quote:
also not sure what you mean by "double up the ends"?
Standard 100 Megabit Ethernet only uses 4 of the 8 wires in the cable. You can put 2 sets of ends on each cable and get 2 separate connections to your gateway.

Quote:
just the wireless breaks for some reason.
I think it's the DHCP server that is handing out bad IP addresses, that's what I noticed on my box.

Tags
aliant , network , stb , wireless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in