Official: Telus Launches Satellite TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Official: Telus Launches Satellite TV

Quote:
As of today, TELUS Satellite TV is available across Alberta and British Columbia (B.C.). TELUS Satellite TV is available to more than 90 per cent of homes in Alberta and B.C and residents can now bundle it with other Telus Services.
For those who don't know this already, Telus is simply reselling the Direct-to-Home Satellite service of Bell TV.

The only real reason, that I can see for getting Telus branded DTH service, as opposed to Bell TV branded service, is to get bundle discounts on other Telus services such as wireless, internet and landline telephone service.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 03:00 PM

Okay, so I already have Shaw Direct. Is there a benefit picture or sound wise to switching to Telus Satellite? I have telus internet, phone and long distance so I can see a price incentive here but wouldn't do it if the picture quaility in HD is worse than Shaw. Also, are there any other catches to this, like long term contracts?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Okay, so I already have Shaw Direct. Is there a benefit picture or sound wise to switching to Telus Satellite? I have telus internet, phone and long distance so I can see a price incentive here but wouldn't do it if the picture quaility in HD is worse than Shaw. Also, are there any other catches to this, like long term contracts?
There will be no benefit picture or sound wise, BUT, as you mentioned, you will save money by bundling. HD picture quality will be the same, if not better than Shaw. Contracts are optional, you can go month to month if you like.

Don't forget, TELUS Satellite TV is the same as Bell TV (same packages, same prices, same equipment).

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Lots of off-topic posts deleted regarding whether Telus actually announced this (they did) so I have deleted them so folks can focus on the subject matter at hand.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

EagleEye,

as noted, Telus Satellite TV is rebranded Bell TV so a Bell TV vs. Shaw or Shaw Direct type comparison should help you. See the Canadian Television Industry / Channels and Providers for vendor comparisons.

Also, as noted, the real reason is to get a bundle price. In your case, coming from Shaw Direct, my attitude would be that if it isn't going to save you at least $10 or $15 a month, it probably isn't worth the effort of investing in new equipment and the hassle of changing.

If you are an analog cable customer and you don't currently have a cable or satellite set top box and want to go digital then it might make sense.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 08:52 PM

It's taken them a long time to announce this, a friend of mine has been using the service for 6 months. He has the basic service which he's very happy with... he really likes all of the channels compared to shaw.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 10:42 PM

The free HD PVR rental on a 3 year is a nice touch. Looks like TTV is still significantly cheaper especially with the bundling options.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Folks, please stop posting Telus links. They are IP sensitive and will not work for all users.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 01:29 AM

Smile Mostly happy, expect for some compression

Quote:
It's taken them a long time to announce this, a friend of mine has been using the service for 6 months.
You're certain it's the satellite service?
I had mine installed last Tuesday and the internal openings only closed at the end of May.
Maybe he was on a really early trial.

So the technology, pricing and PQ is well known as it's a regurgitated BTV product.

The unknown factor for many might be how well they handle the installs, billing and service, that will be 100% TELUS.
This could be a viable option for those that only left Bell over non technical dealings. Again, I haven't dealt with Telus for over 10 years, so have no first hand experience with the administrative side of things.

The install went well, but I was taken aback of their policy that they are not allowed on the roof.
I thought this might be a show stopper for some locations.
I initially figured it was due to liability for roof leaks, but turns out it's for installer safety.
We did have to trim a tree a bit and re-use an existing mount location for another service.
Overall the installer seemed knowledgeable of most things satellite in general.

Having spent some serious time with both Shaw Digital Cable And the DTH provider formerly known as Starchoice, my technical view as unbiased as it can be is: (Because I have a soft spot for Shaw and am not a direct Telus report) but the deal was too good financially to pass on.

The STB's are FAR superior with TTV(Satellite), but the Shaw has better PQ, albeit for the sound dropouts, some caused by the STB and others by plant and source.

So overall, one must consider what is important.
In my case, it turned out to be just having a plain reliable box that didn't mess up like my DSR530 and have audio dropouts like my DCT6412.

Unfortunately, making this move required my to unbundle some Shaw services.

We shall see how long this last.

The TTV guide has been TELUS'ized to look like the IPTV guide with the grey and green drab colour scheme.
Otherwise, as best I can tell, it's stock Echostar Technology from the DISH/LNB's to the branded 9421 and 6131 and remotes.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 01:20 PM

Who installed the dish if they can't go on the roof?
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 05:46 PM

Satellite TV Locations

When I purchased Bell Expressview many years ago, I did it becasue I was told that Bell allowed you to host the satellite at more than one location. Bell has since reneged on this but Star Choice still apparently does allow this including allowing you to install in the US.

Does anyone know what Telus's policy on this will be?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Bell didn't renege. The CRTC essentially forced them to stop. In addition, Shaw Direct stopped their HAFH program earlier this year.

My guess is that Telus will not want to irk the federal regulator and will not implement a HAFH program.

My advice would be to contact Telus directly to confirm.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 05:58 PM

HAFH

Thx, Hugh,
Interesting, because I have 3 friends who have installed SC in the US in the past 6 months. SC actually gave them the name of an installer in their local.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 10:22 PM

Nobody

Quote:
Who installed the dish if they can't go on the roof?
We ended up using a existing wall mount that I really didn't need.
My roof already had 3 dishes with 6 more in the back yard, so with a little creative switcing and routing, I was able to free up a line and mount.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 2009-07-01, 12:19 AM

Telus satellite tv installed and running

Just activated 2 9241 pvr,professional install n/c and the kids love the pvr,one for free for a three year term and one rental,will probably add more receivers as I had two switch 44 installed giving me eight outputs(pvr eat up two outputs each).Happy so far.

Tags
dish , hdpvr , pvr , satellite , telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in