Any news on Bell's IPTV initiative - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Any news on Bell's IPTV initiative

Anyone have any concrete updates on Bell's IPTV rollout? I live in a condo served by Bell's "ExpressVu for Condos", but the service is useless.... No PVR, No HDTV, etc.. I also no longer see much of a marketing push for it, so for now, I'm sticking to Cable, but there's a few channels I can only get on Satellite which I would love to subscribe to. (Primarily French)

Is Telus TV ever coming to Ontario (Toronto)? They offer pretty much the Starchoice lineup, which is good as well.

What's taking them so long? ADSL2+ is the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 09:08 AM
Member #1

The rumours and speculation are that this initiative is essentially dead.

FWIW, I spoke to an aquantance who is a senior tech guy at Bell and he was saying that much of the infrastructure that was or put in place for IPTV is now going to be used for beefed up HSI service.

The sense I got was Bell has ExpressVu for television so the gains from IPTV would not be substantial whereas there would be financial gains from improved HSI service.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Hugh for the info. This is what I thought.

I wonder if Bell will actually terminate the service and convert the buildings to standard Satellite Service (with a dish on the roof). They would need to figure out a way to do so without affecting regular cable service.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 09:36 AM
Member #1

My comments were directed at residential dwellings. As far as MDU (multiple dwelling units) go, I can't really comment.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm a bit confused between the two.

Bell's "ExpressVu for Condos"... Is that considered a service for Residential dwellings or MDU?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 09:53 AM
Member #1

Condos would be an MDU. For obvious reasons, what is economical for an MDU is not always economical for a residential area consisting of single family homes.

Sorry if I was too terse.

In summary, I think Bell's IPTV plans for residential areas is toast (and was essentially confirmed by the tech guy I was talking to) but I couldn't tell you about their plans for IPTV in MDU's

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 06:57 PM

So now basicly microsoft has no partner in launching there microsoft media room IPTV platform in Canada... Hopefully Telus or someone could use Microsoft's platform. Then the only real thing left to do to get IPTV throughout Canada would be if the CRTC passes the law were company's are forced to allow other compnay's to use there phone lines, or Telus and other IPTV companies make deals with the big company's (Doubt the second option will happen)....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-04-04, 04:26 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
I think you will find MTS TV launching the MS platform later this year or next year. They have the right infrastructure and announced something along these lines in Jan or Feb.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-04-05, 01:33 AM

do you think MTS might expand there services to places like Montreal and Toronto?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-04-05, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Red face

I doubt it....That why MTS is only available where MTS has the phone lines, same with Shaw...

The CRTC needs to fully open up the market and allow customers to detach themselves from the phone company and then others will be able to offer Phone, TV and internet service without having to rely on Bell's (or your regional provider's) network.

This is what France did and now the reason why they have some of the lowest rates on the planet with their triple play offerings (Digital TV with HD PVR, PHone Service with unlimited calling to most countries and up to 28Mbps internet for around $50 Cdn all in). Now the density is much greater than in Canada, but the majority of the population is close to the border here, so if they implemented this in the major markets, it is still possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in