Condo version of Expressvu HD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Condo version of Expressvu HD

Will they ever offer HDTV?? i've been waiting for months and still no hdtv... i called several times... Some of them said in a few months , the rest said they cant tell me lol.. anyways, does anyone know a fixed date?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-06-23, 11:55 PM

If you are on the VDSL system, you will have to wait untill fiber is run to the house/condo before they can support HD and DSL and land line at the same time.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-06-26, 12:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
I wonder if there is anyone on the system here who could provide a "real life" update on Condo TV and esp. HDTV version. I was under the impression Bell signalled this would be in market late summer (and supposedly has been in end-user testing since January). I believe they are also promising PVR for the same time-frame.

Some posters here have suggested the HDTV channel offering from Bell will be at least twice as large by year-end. That would be a good reason for me to switch from Rogers (although I am a happy customer there now).

So I was just wondering if I should be sharpening my pencil to write an advance letter to Santa to make sure he and his elves have a Condo TV HD/HD PVR for me when the snow flies.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-06-26, 01:35 PM

Arrow

Rogers will probably match EV's HD offerings. They have until now, with few exceptions.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-08-09, 08:23 PM

bell are really beginning to test my patience. if it wasn't for the EVforCondos prescence on the new look website, i'd think we'd been forgotton about entirely.

can anyone shed any light on the future of this? is hdtv or (for me, more importantly) some pvr type facility on the horizon?

my contract is up in november...
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-08-09, 10:55 PM

we've upgraded a few MDU building here to HDTV and especially nimiq 2 for ethnic TV. It can be done with existing equipment, however, it does limit the amount of units that would recieve it due to antiquated distribution
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-08-10, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhooie
we've upgraded a few MDU building here to HDTV and especially nimiq 2 for ethnic TV.
You are talking satellite, the others are talking about VDSL - totally different
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-08-10, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Perfect
You are talking satellite, the others are talking about VDSL - totally different
whoops - sorry saw BEV for condos and thought sat

my bad
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-09-22, 05:36 PM

Condo version of Expressvu

A friend has the condo version of BEV (not HD) and the same box feeds DSL to his computer. In re-arranging his system he ran a new 14ft ethernet cable from the BEV box to his computer. His TV uses the co-ax output rather than s-video as he wants to keep cable clutter down - he'd have to run a stereo pair for the audio. The TV is a new Samsung 26" HDTV which is also his Mac computer monitor. (For HD he uses the ATSC built-in tuner and an indoor antenna)
Anyway, after changing the ethernet cable from 6ft to 14ft, he found his TV signal was a bit 'messed up' (his description). After checking the co-ax cabling (which was OK) he switched back to the 6ft ethernet cable and the problem cleared up.
I can't see how a longer ethernet cable could mess up his TV. The DSL speed on his computer was the same. I have to see the problem for myself to get an idea of what might be going on, though I'm at a loss as to how the BEV condo box works - if he unplugs the ethernet cable the box goes crazy and a big dot moves round and round where the clock etc. should be. If he unplugs the TV cable, the same thing happens and he's unable to access DSL.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be the problem?
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-09-22, 06:41 PM

Best guess, it might a shielding problem with the 14' ethernet cable. Try a different cable and make sure that it is a Cat5e or cat6 as they offer better sheilding. Of course it could also be his coax from the box to the TV, does his picture get messed up when using the vaccum or hair dryer close to the TV? if it does then the coax is not shielded correctly.

Hope this helps

Craig
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-10-21, 09:57 PM

expressvu for condo

I am now using Bell adsl, and homephone line. They said my building is equipped with new technology such as VDSL and since I only have phone and internet right now, I am thinking getting expressvu.

Are there any newer set-top box available? I have DELL 19" LCD TV and wondering if there's any problem on image quality.....
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-10-22, 10:52 AM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
With a 19" LCD TV, ExpressVu for Condos should work just fine. Signals are compressed considerably more than cable which is likely to be noticeable on larger screens but not at the size you mention.

I understand there is only one STB -- for regular TV (not HD); no PVR either.

You'll find Rogers Cable will give you much more choice and programming (including On Demand channels) -- but you may be quite content with the Bell VDSL offering. New ExpressVu subscribers get a pretty decent deal, too.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-10-22, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
With a 19" LCD TV, ExpressVu for Condos should work just fine. Signals are compressed considerably more than cable which is likely to be noticeable on larger screens but not at the size you mention.

I understand there is only one STB -- for regular TV (not HD); no PVR either.

You'll find Rogers Cable will give you much more choice and programming (including On Demand channels) -- but you may be quite content with the Bell VDSL offering. New ExpressVu subscribers get a pretty decent deal, too.
cool ok, I'll find more about the express vu. Personally I like the Rogers Multicultural programming such as Korean ch. but since I am using Bell, I will think about going either rogers or bell....
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-11-15, 10:56 PM

Just to provide another point in the long trek for BEV for condos.

Our building signed an agreement with Bell in 2005 and Bell has yet to install anything. The building was told that they were on the list for sure for 2006 but have now been told it's 2007 at least because they're going to install an upgraded version of IPTV.

Maybe by the time Bell gets its act together my agreement with Rogers will have expired and I'll give them a look but they sure don't inspire confidence (and I've been a Bell Sympatico DSL subscriber since '98 )

NefCanuck
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 03:19 PM

Does BEV still install dishes on Condo roofs?

Hi there,

I would like to pursue this as an option for my condo.
Currently our building choices are 'TV for Condos' from Bell and Rogers via cable.
The Bell option I don't like because I can't get HDTV.
So....I want to see if the shared dish on the roof is an option.

Is Bell pulling away from such things since they want to use 'TV for Condos'?

Any experiences with this would be great to hear before I purpose this to the condo board.

Thanks

LG 42PC3D, Oppo OPDV971H, Denon 1905, Klipsch RC-52, RF-52, Rogers 8300HD PVR, Harmony H880

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in