Condo version of Expressvu HD - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-02-03, 08:41 PM

I've finally had enough and dumped ExpressVu for condos. Was able to get a great deal on Rogers digital cable, with 40% for a year (family and friends deal) and a free HD PVR for 2 years. I'm getting a better service with way more features like HD and PVR for a lot less.

If you are going to dump ExpressVu, make sure to insist that they A. change the network card on your line and B. come and check the filters in your suite (not the DSL filters on phone lines, the Bell filters on your main phone line). Because they did neither A nor B when they transferred me back from VDSL to DSL, I had no internet connection for over a week and then was on a 1.3 Mbit/s profile for two more weeks before a tech actually came to investigate and found that I had old VDSL filter on my line which didn't allow me to get the full 7 Mbit/s speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 11:48 PM
Rookie

vdsl will never get pvr or hd, it was killed off when iptv was set to launch however theres been setbacks and now bell has been forced to move to mdu to keep with the hd/pvr demand in many buildings... marina del rey for instance as has been mentioned already

if you're in a condo that doesnt allow dishes the only way you can get hd/pvr it is to see if your building is wired for MDU... i wish i had access to a list of which buildings they are but i only know a couple but also that theres dozens more

currently bell is installing more MDU into buildings... a post earlier had said they were but thats not true

and the post above mine stating that if you switch from vdsl to normal dsl is completely true... technicians wont go into closets or your home to disconnect any filters, only to the basement to remove the vdsl equipment off the line... so make sure when they disconnect that you request 100% that a technician comes to see you(and that you're home <- very important) otherwise you'll be in the same boat

also if you're a vdsl customer or you want to know if your building is wired for MDU make sure you're calling the right number... 1-866-635-8375. the biggest mistake most people make is calling 310-surf or 310-bell... india doesnt know what vdsl is
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-03-25, 02:51 PM
Rookie

another HD-starved BEV customer

I am taking in all of thie VDSL talk. I am in a similar position. Nice new Aquos set but no HD. Not even a digital signal, as I do not have my set plugged into the Bell VDSL box, just via coaxial (pre-wired in my new unit). Mono sound, too. (Actually, would it improve my picture and sound if I plugged my set directly into my BEV box with high-end wiring? Or does LCD just need the whole deal, as in HD?) So, as you can see, this is an outstanding product! However, I like the one-box-for-all-sets feature, as well as the Galaxy audio music channels. Rogers' music offering seems much smaller, and I'd have to buy/rent two receiver boxes. I am not sure I want to go through the hassle of lobbying to have a Bell dish put up on the roof.

post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-04-10, 12:31 PM

bell has been telling me hdtv for my condo is almost ready. can't tell me an exact date but watch out for the announcement. that's the story i was told since 2005!

i finally dropped them this yr.

Last edited by derekw; 2008-04-10 at 12:46 PM.
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-05-30, 09:14 PM
Rookie

pulled plug on VDSL

I did it, quit BEV for Condos. STILL they cannot say when HD will EVER be added. For some reason I have decidde to keep Sympatico internet, so I have taken full note of the technical issues mentioned in previous posts (the snags involved with changing Bell VDSL service to basic phone and internet, no TV). I can see why the Bell technician needs to deal with the card in te telecom room in the building's basement. However, surely the in-suite VDSL filter is easy to identify and remove oneself? I have received the Sympatico high-speed modem/router box that will replace the BEV all-in-one box. I have set upa Bell router before, no sweat. But can I set it up and use it for internet and at the same time still use the BEV box for TV till my Rogers cable in staller comes next week?
post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-05-31, 11:09 AM

If you're asking if can use an ADSL internet modem and a VDSL TV STB on the same line, the answer is no. The ADSL modem expects an ADSL card at the other end. Also I believe ADSL and VDSL use overlapping frequencies.
post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 01:04 PM
Rookie

Exclamation BELL VDSL vs Rogers Digital

Don't do it!

I switched to Bell VDSL a few weeks ago.

Lightning fast internet, averaged 14 Mbps, but the TV part was very disappointing. The on screen guide sucks! The guide looks looks and acts like it was designed 10 years ago, and just awful to use. Also I had to start using 2 remotes, as the Bell remote sucks as well, and can not be programmed to run my Bose system. And if you want the 16 Mbps service, you will need a modem, other wise you can have the slower speed, using just one box, but it is the same price as the 16. They also had to do some drilling, and run a second cable for the high speed modem. I also find the security package from Rogers better than the Bell package.

Bell does NOT offer HD, or a PVR option for VDSL at this time. Also the say it's 100% digital, but that is not true, it is only digital for the main TV, the other TV's receive analog signal only.

I switched from Rogers VIP lineup, and therefore there was some channel differences and Bell does not offer on demand channels like National Geo and others.

After one week, I switched back to Rogers with the 7 Mbps, and I am getting that consistently.

At this time I would definitely NOT recommend Bell VDSL!!!

Greg
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 05:23 PM
Rookie

I take it you did ZERO research before going for VDSL.?

Nothing you say is not common knowledge to those in the know.

If you are still within the "cooling off" period, why not cancel and get away from it.

As for the Remote, I cannot expect Bell or anyone else to have a Remote that will work with EVERY other piece of equipment out there, it is just not possible and I would never expect it at all.

On Demand, Hmmmm, I have never heard that Bell offers this so again, your research was flawed.

PVR, Hmmmm, I have never heard that Bell offers this with VDSL so again, your research was flawed.

HD, Hmmmm, I have never heard that Bell offers this with VDSL so again, your research was flawed.

The Signal coming into your location is Digital, it has to be to come down the VDSL pipeline so that for sure is 100% Digital. I was under the impresion that secondary receivers could be fed via CAT 5, so I always guessed that was Digital too. Are you sure the other receivers do not get a Digital Feed.?
post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-09-27, 10:40 AM
Veteran

AFAIK, the VDSL platform ihasn't been updated much (including the included remote). Technology has been concentrating on the variety of IPTV where you have a modem, router/switch, and a box per set.

There is only one "receiver"; the gateway box, which tunes (up to) three channels. All are fed with analog RF on various channels. The primary channel also has A/V out. All analog. It has three remotes, at least two RF, which control the other tuners. The Gateway box is capable of IR contol also. A TiVo DVR could be use at the gateway.
post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-09-27, 12:13 PM
Rookie

You are correct classicsat, I just took a look at the VDSL receiver, it indeed does have 2 coaxial outputs for the other TV's.
post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 09:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
I take it you did ZERO research before going for VDSL.?

Nothing you say is not common knowledge to those in the know.

If you are still within the "cooling off" period, why not cancel and get away from it.

As for the Remote, I cannot expect Bell or anyone else to have a Remote that will work with EVERY other piece of equipment out there, it is just not possible and I would never expect it at all.

On Demand, Hmmmm, I have never heard that Bell offers this so again, your research was flawed.

PVR, Hmmmm, I have never heard that Bell offers this with VDSL so again, your research was flawed.

HD, Hmmmm, I have never heard that Bell offers this with VDSL so again, your research was flawed.

The Signal coming into your location is Digital, it has to be to come down the VDSL pipeline so that for sure is 100% Digital. I was under the impresion that secondary receivers could be fed via CAT 5, so I always guessed that was Digital too. Are you sure the other receivers do not get a Digital Feed.?

In fact I did a lot of research, before switching. I was not interested in a PVR or HDTV so i did not look into that, I was simply pointing that out to would be VDSL customers. With respect to the 100% digital...that is what their brochure says, and the installer himself was the one that told me only the main TV gets digital, the rest ONLY analog, and this was further confirmed when I asked Bell VDSL support about it. The remote issue is not something that you can research, but I expected the Bell remote to be as good or better than the Rogers one, but in fact, again according to the tech who installed it, the remote is sub-standard at best.

Furthermore, if you did your research, and read what I submitted, I did switch back to Rogers!

BTW are employed by Bell Canada?
post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 04:46 PM
Rookie

I apreciate your clearing up the fact that you did your research and still gave it a try.

No I am not employed by Bell Canada, not that it would matter anyway.....

I guess that Bell should stop advertising their system as being 100% Digital as even with the Dual Tuner receivers, 3200, 5200, 9200 and 9242, the feeds to the second TV's are NOT digital. Bad Bell.....
post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 05:06 PM
Veteran

I think digital refers to the transmission of the signal to the receiving device, the set-top box.
post #59 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 07:00 PM
Rookie

It always meant that to me but Wooking seems to expect more.
post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-10-01, 11:53 AM
Rookie

Question Hope this clears things up

It's not that I expected more, I was really just amazed that they can provide 16Mbps internet, faster than anything available for home users that I know of (getting 14Mbps), and yet they can't provide HDTV.

Perhaps if you use a separate box with each TV you may in fact get 100% digital, but one of the appealing features of the VDSL service is that they promote the fact that you only need 1 box to supply up to 3 TV's and your internet connection. It was not explained to me when I ordered VDSL that in fact I would need 2 'boxes' (TV & modem) due to the 16Mbps internet. If I choose to just have one 'box' it would have given me all services, but you cannot get the 16Mbps internet without a 'special' modem.

I just assumed that because my building is wired with the latest technology fiber optic service that it would be better than plain old cable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in