Condo version of Expressvu HD - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-07-19, 08:40 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
MDU_PVR_Please ...

Thanks very much for your follow-up report.

The fact that Bell installed a dish on your roof and added whatever extra internal boxes in the basement and wiring to make this all work ... instead of rolling out the promised IPTV in your condo (since 2004? and it still hasn't been delivered?!?) ... Suggests they are STILL not ready to risk launching something they can't get working properly.

The mind boggles on this one. MTS and SaskTel are delivering HD over phone lines; AT&T U-Verse is essentially what Bell has been promising as far as I can figure out ... but instead of delivering the goods ... Bell puts a dish on the roof after all this time. Truly remarkable.

Enjoy your new TV! It may be a while before you get Showcase, National Geographic, TMN's 3rd Movie Channels in HD, and whatever Rogers is launching this fall (assuming they do), but you will be able to enjoy a bunch of great channels. Be sure to check out HDNet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 11:29 AM

Not quite sure if i understand this then...

so do you have a HD PVR that is essentially running off a dish, rather than the vdsl?

i've do EVU for Condos, and am desperate for a PVR... don't care about HD (at the moment) as i'm not in the market for a new tv...
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrawidth View Post
Not quite sure if i understand this then...

so do you have a HD PVR that is essentially running off a dish, rather than the vdsl?

i've do EVU for Condos, and am desperate for a PVR... don't care about HD (at the moment) as i'm not in the market for a new tv...
There are three buildings in my complex.

For the customers who are happy with Standard Definition, they will remain on the VDSL system. It is my understanding that a PVR is not available for the customers that stay with the VDSL (Standard Definition) service. I would suggest you call Bell and confirm 1-888-759-3474.

For the customers who would like High Definition, they will be moved to Bell Expressvu satellite. There is one dish which will serve all three buildings and customers have a choice of either a High Definition set top box or a HD set top box with PVR.

Last edited by MDU_PVR_Please; 2007-08-01 at 12:44 PM.

post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 01:02 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
There remains the option to switch to Rogers in most cases as I understand it ... ExpressVu TV for Condos being an option, rather required by the condo board. (Although in a few buildings, TV is bought "bulk" as is the case with MDU_PVR_Please.)
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDU_PVR_Please View Post
There are three buildings in my complex.

For the customers who are happy with Standard Definition, they will remain on the VDSL system. It is my understanding that a PVR is not available for the customers that stay with the VDSL (Standard Definition) service. I would suggest you call Bell and confirm 1-888-759-3474.

For the customers who would like High Definition, they will be moved to Bell Expressvu satellite. There is one dish which will serve all three buildings and customers have a choice of either a High Definition set top box or a HD set top box with PVR.
it almost seems like they're giving up making PVR available to VDSL users in the short term.

Though a google search unearths this recently posted job:

http://jobs.workopolis.com/jobshome/...&pi_maxjob=158
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 01:09 PM

I too had the option to move to Rogers but it would have cost me (in my specific situation) a lot more.

This is because our condo maintenance fees include the cost of TV service. The board selected Bell Expressvu. Therefor, it costs me $10/month for the HD upgrade and an additional $10/month for the PVR upgrade.

If I abandonned the bulk ExpressVu deal then I would not get reimbursed that portion of my condo maintenance fee and I would have to order standard and high def from rogers which adds up quickly.
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 01:33 PM

I got a quote for Rogers for comparable service to what I get from vdsl, plus a PVR... it was way more than I pay for Bell - and my vdsl isn't subsidised by my condo board.

The biggest boon for me of vdsl is the ability to have exactly the same channel line up etc on multiple tv sets, something that requires more than one STB for rogers, hence the price hike I imagine. i don't care that it's coaxial to the other tv's etc, i just like being able to watch all the premium channels upstairs.
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 08:08 PM
Veteran

You could rent additional STBs from Rogers or buy them outright -- MSRP at $99; dealers frequently have an "at the till" price of $49.

With VDSL you get a good selection of channels; none in HD; no access to PVR; no On Demand programming.

The VIP package -- $58.97 regular and less for new subs -- includes 225 channels, one STB, and six channels with full On Demand (that is: MTV, Treehouse, NFL Network, HGTV, National Geographic, Food Network) and around 3000 other titles, including tons of movies, for a 24-hr fee. And you can get ALL the programming in crisp 100% digital picture and sound on ALL TVs with an STB in the house.

Swap out the STB for an HD box and pay $8.96 more and get 16 HD channels at no additional cost.

Bell ExpressVu VDSL TV For Condos has merits as a niche product -- including those satisfied with a slowish Internet. Try asking for the "standard" 7 mbps service Rogers offers as Express with your VDSL service.

The point is: Bell's Condo TV is ok for some people. So long as HD, PVR, multicultural channels, On Demand, faster Internet and exclusive channels like Bloomberg, MSNBC, Ontario Legislature, Turner Classic Movies and others aren't important to you.
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 08:45 PM

Weird. I find the internet on my VDSL ev for condos to be pretty snappy. I admit it's not 7mbps though!

My bill in total (phone, tv and internet) averages around the $160-170 mark.

Could Rogers beat that? I'd need Caller ID, Voicemail on the phone. Decent (ie not lite) internet, and two STB units, one a standard PVR...

I know it comes down to packages (ie channel packages) at the end of it all, but i have whatever you get when you get the movies and not sport...

Last edited by xtrawidth; 2007-08-01 at 08:52 PM.
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 09:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrawidth View Post
My bill in total (phone, tv and internet) averages around the $160-170 mark.

Could Rogers beat that? I'd need Caller ID, Voicemail on the phone. Decent (ie not lite) internet, and two STB units, one a standard PVR...
Phone, 6 features, all extra charges like system access fees, 5 cent LD -- about $50 • VIP, with 225 channels and On Demand -- about $60 • Internet Express, 7 mbps, unlimited mail box storage, 9 e-mail, unlimited photos, 15 MB web space, 20 MB attachments, full Norton Security, about $50 • bundle all three and save 10% a month, about -$16 • add a second STB and a dual-tuner PVR for $25 ... I'm at $169 so far and that includes Turner Classic Movies.

You can tweak packages this way and that to get what you need/want; new customers get a bit of a deal but the Bundles give you a good rate every day as an ongoing customer.

You'll pay about the same, or a little more; you'll get a lot more.
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-01, 09:17 PM

Hmmm... but I'd have to get the VIP + Movies for what I have now, and plus the average I mentioned of $160-170 includes my phone bill (as in calls) too!
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-08-02, 12:28 AM
Veteran

If you are comparing apples to apples, you'd get more from Rogers. But packaging and configuration are different so it depends on your priorities.

My only point was, as this is a Bell forum, that at $170/mth you have a lot of scope to get great value at Rogers. Dollar for dollar: you can probably get more phone service, more TV, more Internet, more bundle savings -- for the same price. But the features may not "have value" for you: double Internet speed; phone features & LD; extra TV channels and On Demand; free HD; a PVR with 2 tuners (record two things; record one thing, watch live TV on another channel); TMN with TMN On Demand and MPix On Demand ... and so on.

If Bell meets your needs at that price range ... congrats and enjoy.
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-09-04, 09:11 PM

Spoke to BEV CSR today, the guy said that they've been testing the HD over VDSL service but had problems they couldn't overcome so as far as he knows the service will not be offered as promised. However he said that Bell will be rolling out HD over IPTV "sometime this fall", didn't know any more details. Also mentioned that some condo buildings are being converted to communal dishes as a quick workaround for those who don't mind paying and can't wait much longer for HD.

I told him that I was running out of reasons for not switching to Rogers, he offered me 50% off my BEV service (programming only) for three months and said that's the best they can do, so I said what the hell, if I can say $100 over three months (~$30 per month) why not.

Anybody has any more info about this supposed Bell IPTV service?
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-09-09, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhooie View Post
we've upgraded a few MDU building here to HDTV and especially nimiq 2 for ethnic TV. It can be done with existing equipment, however, it does limit the amount of units that would recieve it due to antiquated distribution
mrhooie, I live in a MDU and was told to remove my dish off my balcony and use the dish on the roof but im told it doesnt support HD and would cost 10 000 to upgrade the building. What I dont understand is on my building theres 2 dishes pointed slightly in 2 different directions, 91 and 82?? And in the same complex but diff building, they have a 20" dish with dual LNB and again im told that building isint HD ready. Where they pulling my leg? Cause i cancled my bev sub cause theres no way i was going back to SD and using some stupid 2700. So i moved to shaw HD.
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 2008-02-03, 08:12 PM
Rookie

I've been with EVs VDSL of condos for years. One of the first pilot bldgs in Toronto.
I was promised HD very soon when I signed up.
Well still waiting. The IPTV by fall that Igor01 mentioned has once again come and gone. Probably the fourth time I have heard HD is around the corner.
Just purchased an HDTV and picking up a couple of HD channels with an indoor antenna(no balcony).
Interestingly I just received a mailout from Rogers that directly attacked VDSL, pointing out that they could offer me HD, PVR, etc. We have both options in our bldg. It was addressed to Resident in my unit. I am guessing they sent it to all units that they didn't have as subscribers. Gets more and more tempting. After reading Igor's post, maybe I will give them a call and see if they are still offering the 3 month price break. And if still no sign of HD - IPTV or otherwise, maybe I break down and go back to Rogers. In all other respects I am quite pleased with the VDSL service, particularly the three channels out of one box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in