Condo version of Expressvu HD - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-22, 07:35 PM

Bell no longer installs MDU (condo) dish systems. The only way to get it done is with an independent contractor. Depending on the existing wiring, it is possible to support HD using DishPro Plus equipment. Bell is now doing TV over IP in some areas but that does not support HD yet. I suggest you get a couple of quotes to present to your condo board. Considering the extra cost, Rogers may be the best way to go. There is not much difference between the HD offerings by EV and Rogers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-25, 02:52 PM

I am in a similar situation.
My condo (Marina Del Rey) has Bell VDSL TV which is built into our maintenance fee.
I have been calling Bell ExpressVu For Condo's since 2004 (I even called them again today) asking them when HD will be available. They keep telling me it is coming.
There is no sense in me buying an HD TV without having an HD feed.

post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-25, 03:15 PM

I just got off the phone (1-866-770-6555) with Bell ExpressVu for condos (VDSL) and they said that they have no date set for HD availability.

This has been the same story since 2004.

I feel like I am being held hostage since the Bell ExpressVu service is built into our condo fees. This means that if I choose to go to Rogers I will be paying for the Rogers service as well as the Bell service (built into condo fee).

What choices do we have!

I even asked Bell to give me a HD dish until the VDSL service supports HD and they said no.

HELP!!!

post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-26, 01:57 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDU_PVR_Please View Post
I feel like I am being held hostage since the Bell ExpressVu service is built into our condo fees. This means that if I choose to go to Rogers I will be paying for the Rogers service as well as the Bell service (built into condo fee).
Bell's TV for Condos does not offer HD, as you point out; neither does it offer PVR; neither does it offer On Demand programming. Bell's IPTV announcements have never, in my read, mentioned PVR -- and certainly there are no plans for an HD PVR. No provider offers an HD PVR over phone lines at this time anywhere -- the bandwidth for 2 TV streams, 2 HD streams, and reasonable Internet speed is more than the commercial technology can handle.

You probably pay something like $20-30/mth for inferior Bell TV service built into your condo fees. You might want to lobby the board to renegotiate with Bell to make it optional. Bell has clearly not lived up to promises when your board signed the deal.

Whereas there are subjective merits to both Bell ExpressVu satellite and Rogers Personal TV which may make them somewhat equal, Bell's TV for Condos clearly doesn't cut it. Probably 20% of your building would have moved to HD and/or PVR by now -- you're stuck at the gate with 1999 TV service.

Bell's IPTV will have lots of WOW factor no doubt but that's at least nother year away. In a recent business analyst meeting Sabia and other senior management only commited to "completing IPTV development" in 2007 -- not actually installing it on any sort of commercial mass basis.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-26, 02:03 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Well, you can always watch the Superbowl and Oscars at a local pub or ask a friend nicely if you can come over to watch it in HD ...

IT's a pity you can't just bite the bullet on the Bell payment and order Rogers anyway.
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-30, 04:57 AM

Update on Bell Express Vu for condos HD

I have had expressvu for condos since june 2005 and I have been fed the song and dance about HD, its in testing, they are testing the RG3000 etc. I finally cut through all the crap and got the straight answer.

HD wont be available till 2008 at the earliest , thats right 2008. And PVR wont happen till then either. They are waiting on the new version of IPTV from microsoft. There is a good bet that you wont see HD, or PVR till mid 2008. So if you are like me and you bought that expensive HD TV. You need to look at Rogers. And if you want to verfiy this just call Bell.
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-31, 12:45 AM
Veteran

ghost999 wrote
Quote:
HD wont be available till 2008 at the earliest , thats right 2008.
It better be in by Feb 19, 2009, or else the "basic" package is going to become even more basic.

Quote:
They are waiting on the new version of IPTV from microsoft.
The same people who took 5 years to bring you Vista. Nuff said.
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-07-14, 07:06 PM

Rumour: BEV for Condos has HD and PVR available

FINALLY!!!
Bell ExpressVu for Condos has HD and PVR available.
Here is a copy of the notice I just received at my condo in Toronto:
Quote:
Bell is please to announce that your building is now equipped to offer you ExpressVu High Definition (HD) television and Personal Video Recorders (PVRs).
Over the past few weeks we have upgraded your building to offer a new technology that will support HD and PVR services. This change only affects those residents wishing to upgrade their service by renting an HD and/or PVR receiver. Please note additional charges will apply if you choose to upgrade to this additional programming and/or receiver. If you are not interested in subscribing to these new services, no action is required on your part.

For those interested in learning more about HD and PVR services from Bell, we will be hosting information nights where you will be able to:
- Select your new receiver
- Order HD programming
- Book an installation appointment
- Order any additional Bell services
I will be attending the information session and placing my order for a HD PVR.

Any suggestions for questions I should ask at the information session?
post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-07-15, 09:43 AM
Member #1

Ask them why they pulled their advertising from Digital Home and ask them why they tried to deny the existence of MPEG4 receivers even though they have announced them to dealers.

Also, Ask them if hundreds of thousands of users will be able to pirate the signals as easily as all the FTA users pirating DTH signals.

Just curious

post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-07-15, 12:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDU_PVR_Please View Post
Any suggestions for questions I should ask at the information session?
I gather you have moved up to HD since early in this thread ... bet you are anxious to start enjoying it!

Inquiring minds want to know:
  • how soon will it be installed?
  • which model hardware?
  • how many HD + SD streams at once?
  • can you get HD on more than one TV?
  • does the Bell box have to be directly connected to the HD set? HDMI? Component?
  • will there be more/different HD channels than ExpressVu satellite?
  • is the onscreen TV guide longer than 2 days?
  • how much Sympatico bandwidth is available (top speed)?
  • what are the costs, anyway?
  • finally, is this a real product or just an extension of the beta testing?
Lots of others but those are interesting to know.

I have stated repeatedly that, if EV TV for Condos properly supports HD and is available in my building, I would certainly be kicking the tires.
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-07-15, 05:59 PM
ARR

Question Excuse my ignorance, but...

I'm aware of video over DSL technology somewhat, but I didn't see anywhere in the announcement that it was NOT satellite delivered.

Surely an upgrade to DPP technology would permit HD and 2 tuner 9200 PVR models to be used in an MDU, but I've also heard that MDU's aren't a supported product going forward.

Is there much talked about IPTV product going to bear the ExpressVu branding?
Is that a good thing considering the negative connotations it has earned?
Could it be confusing to potential new and existing customers?
Would potential satellite customers see it as the end to sat delivered signals and be S.O.L. figuring they were moving to DSL and if not in a metro area served by cable, the next choice would be DTH (aka *C)?
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-07-15, 07:14 PM
Veteran

Bell ExpressVu TV For Condos is delivered from a head end to a local DSLAM over fibre (aka basement of the condo) and then up the elevator shaft / access shafts via existing twisted pair phone lines, sharing TV, Internet and POTS. Because the run lengths are relatively short, more reliable bandwidth can be assured. The existing VDSL product maxes out at around 15 mbps; the improved version, VDSL2/VDSL2+ with IPTV maxes at around 26 mbps; with pair bonding (using four wires instead of two, and assuming they are available to the suite), pushing out to 40 mbps is possible.

My understanding is the current version about to release -- referenced above -- is the 26 mbps variety. Therefore 1 HD stream (8-10 mbps/MPEG4) + 3 SD streams (3 mbps each) + 6 mbps Internet maxes out the pipe. This leaves no room for a 2nd HD stream; or HD PVR capability. However, most of this "enlightened speculation" since Bell hasn't formally announced the service or hardware specs.

The closest model is believed to be AT&T U-Verse; PVR is available but not HD PVR; only one HD stream is available. The service has had serious scalability problems as was limited to 3000 homes as recently as last December. By late May, AT&T was reporting 20,000 homes subscribing.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-07-15, 10:04 PM

I don't enjoy HD YET, I have been holding back from buying my HD TV until it was available in my condo (which it is now ).

Thank you for the ideas on questions to ask.

I know from reading posts in this forum there are many people here that understand a great deal about Home Theater.

Thank you for your help.

I will post an update after the meeting with Bell on Thursday....
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-07-19, 06:24 PM

VDSL Does NOT support HD at this time (...)

My building (VDSL equipped) announced that HD is now available.

I just got back from the information session and here is the scoop:
- The VDSL technology does not support HD at this time
- Since we were kicking and screaming for HD they have installed a BEV dish on the roof and are supplying us with BEV HD receivers (with optional PVR)
- The hardware is the Echostar DE15 (Bell calls it the 9200)
- HD is only available on one TV (the other TV's in the condo will get SD)
- The box has HDMI, Component and USB connections

Either way, I don't care how HD is getting onto my TV (Satellite or VDSL) and it is finally here.

Off I go to pick up my HD TV (finally!).

P.S. I apologize if I gave anyone the wrong idea that VDSL now supports HD because it does not.
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-07-19, 07:39 PM

Before there are lots of questions about the Echostar DE15, let me just add this,

Echostar - Dish Player DVR (DE15 942)

It is indeed the Express Vu 9200.

I hope you enjoy your HD, it sounds like Express Vu actually came through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in