Scheduling a series recording oddity - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-09-20, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Scheduling a series recording oddity

I am a new Bell Fibe subscriber. I have the ARRIS 4k PVR model VIP5662W.

I want to record a daily newscast every night at 10pm (a "series"). The newscast is repeated a number of times during the night and next day, and has the same program name in the guide.

The options provided are:
"Any day, around 10pm"
"Any day, any time"
"Anytime, once per day"

There is no option for "Any day, AT 10pm".

It seems the only way I can configure the system to record the program each day at 10pm is to choose "Any day, around 10pm". Unfortunately this results in multiple recordings at 10pm, 11pm, and 12 midnight each day.

Of course, I could manually program each 10pm daily broadcast but this is tedious and must be repeated every week or so.

This seems very odd, unless I am missing something.

Any experts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-09-20, 02:00 PM

Have you tried setting "First run only"?

Is the 10pm airing the first instance of the series that day?

The Mediaroom software has always used "around xx AM/PM" primarily to accommodate prime-time network programming that may be randomly rescheduled a few minutes or even an hour or 2 in either direction.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-09-20, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

The 10pm airing is the first instance of the series that day.

If I set it to "first run only" it records the 10pm broadcast as well as the 11pm broadcast. Given that this is a daily newscast, I am not sure it qualifies as "first run". It does not indicate in the guide as such. There is no "original air date" listed.

BTW the program I am referring to is "CTV National News with Lisa LaFlamme" that airs on CTV News Channel at 10pm and repeats 11pm.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-09-20, 04:22 PM

Try this:

Time: "Anytime, once per day" and Show type: "First run only".

This seems to work for me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-09-20, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

I thought you were on to something LesE. I followed your suggestion. The PVR is now set to record the 10pm broadcast on Monday and Tuesday of next week however Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are all set to capture the 11pm broadcast. A 10pm broadcast does appear in the schedule on those days but it is skipped for some reason. Weird.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-09-21, 07:05 AM

That is odd. I'm seeing pretty much the same behaviour. I didn't notice that it was sometimes picking the 11pm airing when I tried it earlier. I have no explanation for why this is happening. But at least you are only getting one recording per day.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Seems to be a limitation in the software (certainly in terms of a recording option) or a difference in how each broadcast is defined in the program guide.

The 10pm broadcast is the one I want to capture was we tend to watch it around 10:15 or slightly later. 11pm is too late.

It looks like the only way I can capture all 10pm newscasts is to schedule "Any day, around 10pm", "First run & rerun", and keep only the latest episode. It will capture other broadcasts but I will just ignore them.

Thanks for your comments Dr.Dave and LesE.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 08:08 AM
Rookie

At any rate Null_Packet, I think the entire guide software needs a major overhaul. It is very annoying when you're scanning the channels and the little banner appears at the top that describes the program plot, and then the stupid thing disappears after 8 seconds and displays the cast of characters??!! We all need to be speed-readers!! To finish reading the plot, you must press the Info button, which displays the program description two font sizes smaller.

I switched from Cogeco cable. At least their guide only displayed the plot, although you often had to expand it too if you wanted to see the rest of the plot description. The nice thing about their guide was it would also tell you the Season and Episode numbers in the series. With this dumb guide, when I multi-record and go back to watch the shows, there's no way to tell which episode you should watch first, other than the air date - and that's not always reliable. A lot of series contain an ongoing plot. Season and Episode numbers are a must!

I don't suppose there is another guide we can use, besides the crappy Bell default guide?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 07:19 PM

@acreguy ... If you use the Fibe TV app, you will see your recordings identified by season and episode. But I agree that it would be useful to see that information in the on-screen guide as well.

@Null_Packet ... I noticed that in Fibe app guide, both the 10pm and 11pm airings of the CTV National News are tagged as "New". I suspect that this may be the reason why the scheduling is getting confused. If only the 10pm airing was indicated as "New", I expect that it would record correctly.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-10-03, 09:47 PM
Rookie

Thanks, LesE. I'll take a look at the app.

You're right though - why do we need to look at an 8 inch iPad to get accurate programming info when there's a 75 inch TV right in front of us? Who are these developers, anyway? They need to get into the real world and out of that protective bubble called "school" they were raised in!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in