Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Recordings Vanishing (Limit on Number of Recordings)

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Norman_C 
#1 ·
We have a problem with recordings vanishing.

The Recorder is not full (60% full), many of our shows are set to not auto-delete

So I called Bell and they asked about how many recordings we have (382) and they told me that there was a max of 373 and that beyond that, the box will start to auto-purge, even if not full. No warning is given, it just started to purge some.

Yes 382 recordings is a lot, but hey, we have a busy life and kids record their shows and such, and all the kids shows and wife's soap operas are recorded in standard definition, not HD, so the number is high, but crazy high.

Can anyone explain why the 373 limit? Any way to change it? Has anyone else had this issue arise?

#2 ·
I am having the same problem. I have 373 shows left and only 41% (no HD) full. I lost quite a few movies and series that I was hoping to watch. I was told that I can switch to another type of PVR that cost more money a month but the shows can't be transferred. So I would lose my shows one way or the other. I am scrambling all the time to make sure it stays under 373 but that means deleting some shows that I wanted to see because I don't have time to binge watch everyday. I feel that if I'm only able to use 41% of my PVR then I should only be paying 41% of the price!

#3 ·
If you had one really long recording it could take a huge percentage of HDD space. ;) So it's not a percentage of the drive, but a limit on number of recordings. These limits may be part of the original firmware code or some other "arbitrary" number, but you need to remember that this is a time-shifting device and not an archiving device. Having a huge number of recordings can sometimes slow down a PVR, or create other problems with menus or recordings. I suggest you get the number down significantly to ensure fast, error-free performance.

Just as an FYI, Rogers Ignite (IPTV) service, that uses cloud recordings, deletes any recordings that are more than one year old. Rogers also have a limit of 200 hours. Beyond either limit and the (older) recordings get deleted. Again, these devices/services are for time shifting, not archiving.

In addition, many HDDs don't "like" to be used up completely, deteriorating in performance or even making errors beyond a certain percentage full - say 80%. An old computer rule of thumb even used to set that limit at 50% of the HDD space...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.