Pvr pls help - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-11-29, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Pvr pls help

My mom has recently moved to a retirement home and she desperately misses being able to record tv shows. Bell provides cable to the home but has said they don’t have the infrastructure to allow pvrs. Isn’t there some kind of pvr I could purchase that could just record from my moms cable coming into her suite? Any help is hugely appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-11-29, 12:49 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I assume you're talking about Bell Fibe? There is nothing you can purchase to record those Bell signals.

When my father moved into assisted living we had a similar issue with Rogers - most residents were satisfied with the regular box that was included with the room. I ended up having to contact the Management of the assisted living facility and getting their "business" contact information and dealing with them. I was then able to utilize the Rogers PVR that my father already had, but he was billed (a small amount) extra for that service. You cannot deal with the "regular" Bell Fibe contact people because this is a business.

In your mom's situation, there may not be any options, but try contacting the retirement home management first and get the Bell business contact from them. Bell may not have anything in place (billing, tech service, infrastructure, etc) to provide for the extra PVR service, or they may... It depends.

I've moved your post to the Bell Fibe section of this forum.

Another option may be to look into "streaming" the particular programmes using the internet connection (if applicable at the residence)? I'm not that familiar with how Bell streaming works - talk to the Business CSR and see what they have. If there is internet, then other streaming options (direct streaming of the programme from the broadcaster) may be possible. This would circumvent the need for a PVR in some instances/programming.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 09:49 AM

I agree with @57 - contact the Bell representative for the institution and they will be able to tell you if you can record TV programs. The service is probably Bell satellite - here is their web page describing the different possibilities the institution may have selected.

If they installed an "All-in-One Headend solution" then you would see a cable going straight from the wall to the TV. Bell could block recording on the signal or you may be able to buy a third-party recorder using VCR-type technology to record the signal.

If there's a Bell box connected to the TV, then you may be able to rent a PVR from Bell.

https://business.bell.ca/shop/enterp...ssisted-living

EDIT: Your mother probably doesn't have her own Bell account so she won't be able to login to Bell's app and stream that way. If she's interested in TV shows on CTV, Global and City TV, those are available to anyone for 7 days after broadcast - no account required. Specialty channels usually require that you log in with a TV provider account.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-11-30 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added streaming

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 11:35 AM
Veteran

what kind of cable is bell offering? can you confirm for sure is it Bell Fibe TV? or is it Bell Satellite TV? if its Satellite, she might be renting the receiver, and can easily ask to have it replaced with a pvr receiver. If its bell Fibe, she can access the "restart" function and watch some of her fav shows that way, or check to see if they are located in the "on demand" area. but ive never heard of them offering Fibe and not having the "infrastructure" to support pvr, we are very curious about this restriction too and was hoping somebody could shed more light on this
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 12:55 PM
Veteran

The solution depends on whether it's satellite or Fibe. I'll take a guess and say it's probably satellite due to the lack of "infrastructure." Bell satellite PVRs require two coax inputs or a Dish Pro Plus system. That's a big issue that's not easily resolved. Some Bell satellite receivers can be turned into a PVR by adding a USB hard drive. I would check that out.

If high speed internet is available other options might work. Both Fibe and Bell satellite offer video on demand. That's not as easy to use and requires an account login, which could be an issues. Another option with high speed internet is Crave. Not sure is that will provide the required programming. It would also have a learning curve which would vary depending on the streaming device used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in