Misleading nonsense from Bell sales reps - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-05-26, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Misleading nonsense from Bell sales reps

I'm about at my wits' end with the sales reps that Bell farms out it's cold calls to.

I just had my monthly call from one touting all the wonderful new services that are now available in our area. I should point out that we have had FTTN available for several years and the big blue and white trucks have been pulling fibre for some time now but there is nothing new available at this address. The max internet is 50mbps so that indicates to me that it's still 60-year old copper coming into this house. If it was really fibre optic all the way, I'd expect Gigabit.

The rep was insisting that it's fibre - until I pointed out the internet speed. Then he admitted that Gigabit would only be with FTTH. But it's still fibre. Right.

Anyhoo - this clown today tried to tell me that he would supply one PVR and two wireless terminals - and with this magical setup I could record 18 simultaneous streams. This was in response to my objection that 6 streams was sometimes not enough, and that my three Rogers boxes allow 20 at a time, ridiculous as this might seem.

When I told him that he was nuts he then "transferred" me to his "authority" - who happened to be the same guy. He then wanted to transfer me to his "technician" who would confirm that 16 streams were possible.

That's when I bid adieu and hung up.

My point with this rant is that Bell should surely realize that employing these offshore sales reps does not do them any good from a customer-relations point of view. If I was gullible enough to sign up, the rep would get his commission, Bell would get a new customer, who would be really ticked off when he tried to record that seventh program.

I guess they'll never learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-05-26, 04:34 PM

Yeah, I've had the same pitch. The phone call tells me how fiber optics is "now available" in my neighborhood and I can get 50M speeds. I tell them I've had Bell for as long as I can remember, and I haven't noticed that they installed any new fiber in my area, and is he saying that they have now installed fiber to my home? Well no, but there's fiber in my neighborhood and would I like to change from 25M to 50M?

Click.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-05-26, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Several years ago, I got so fed up with Bell calling me I cancelled my phone and moved it to Rogers. They still kept calling, despite my telling them not to. I then complained to the CRTC, heard from the Office of the President and they've rarely bothered me since. While I may have to deal with them in my work, I refuse to ever get any service from them.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-06-08, 08:36 PM
Rookie

if you look its fibe not fibre. The fibe is french for fib or fibe'
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-06-08, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

My original point is that it's fibre - as in fibre optic cable. Fiber if you prefer the US spelling. Which in this case it's not. Regardless of the misleading statements of the rep, they are providing their service to my home over 50-year old copper wire, not fibre optic cable.

"Fibe" is merely Bell's marketing term for their product. When a Bell sales rep talks about "Fibe" they are describing the sales term for the product, not a technical term for the wiring. Despite what they say.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-06-09, 10:12 AM
Veteran

The same happened here. A package of DSL, satellite TV and POTS was marketed as "Fibe." They also lied about the speed of the DSL, claiming it was 10 MBps (bytes), instead of 10 Mbps (bits), an order of magnitude off and even more exaggerated due to the fact that our lines are only capable of 5Mbps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in