Bell Fibe TV over a Point-to-Point Internet Connection - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 2018-04-30, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Bell Fibe TV over a Point-to-Point Internet Connection

Hey.
We are setting up a Point-to-Point internet connection to bring internet from the main building to a second building on our property that can't get internet brought to it by any providers and figured instead of paying for a canopy style service we will just spend that money on the equipment to make our own PtP connection as it is pretty much a clear line of sight and already paying for a internet service at the main location on the property.

We will have Bell Fibe 50/10 Unlimited Internet service at the main location and will eventually be looking into getting the Fibe TV service as well for the main location too.

I was wondering/curious if the Fibe TV service receiver would also work in the second location over the PtP connection since it's all via the internet connection? Maybe if you used thier wireless receiver?

The equipment we are planning on using is the following for Ubiquiti:
https://store.ubnt.com/collections/w...irfiber-5xhd-1
https://store.ubnt.com/products/airf...23dbi-slant-45

Plus some other surge equipment that's not really important.

Any insight or suggestions that's might make this work out be great. Maybe it's 100% not possible because of 'X' issue or such but at least I will know instead of always wondering. I don't want to buy/commit to the TV equipment to try it eventually if there is for sure no hope of it working in the second location.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2018-05-01, 02:24 PM
Veteran

when you say main building and second building, are these businesses or residential suites?
I'm not going to get into the debate about residential services vs business class services but my relative has 2 buildings on his property its a residential property and his garage is a building separate on its own he had some underground conduit which was going to his garage already to supply hydro, telephone service, etc, (yes i know, who needs telephone service in a garage?) anyways he simply ran an ethernet cable in the conduit with the phone wire and fished it in, he fitted it with an rj45 crimp on connector on the end coming into his basement and plugged it into one of the lan ports on his modem, the other end, that was fished into his garage, he routed it into a device box, and terminated it into a rj45 ethernet jack and now he can plug in a laptop or computer device. He does not have bell fibe internet nor bell fibe tv, but if he did, he could easily very well plug one of the tv receivers into the ethernet jack in his second building and im pretty sure the tv would work just fine, provided the ethernet cable is installed correctly, not damaged or nothing like that
Old 2018-05-01, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I was trying to keep it simple without bogging the actual question down with too much info, the main building will be for a business.

The main building is on a large property that has a existing building about 900 meters (3000ft) away that has hydro to it but no other services.
So a conduit is out of the question as it would have to go through a field that is farm and disc'd every year so would have to be 5ft deep at least and we dont want to spend a ton of money on this, but willing to spend a bit to set it up right.

It's near some ponds and just a really nice general area and want to have internet at it for just fun purposes for a few families involved. It will be storage and maybe a nice man cave type place down the road in the future for a few of us, hense wanted to know if the Fibe TV service that we will more then likely be getting at the business will work over the PtP service.

If it just wont work so be it, but if there is a way but it must be done with certain equipment or setup in a certain way I would want to do that to first time instead of changing it down the road.

Old 2018-05-01, 03:56 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad28 View Post
It's near some ponds and just a really nice general area and want to have internet at it for just fun purposes for a few families involved.
Business mentioned? Families mentioned? Not sure if the Terms of Service would allow for this? Would it be account splitting?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Old 2018-05-01, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

No, not account splitting and by a few families I mean the families of those of the owners of the business on the property that would be allowed to use and be on the property back in this area were the second building is. No one lives on this property.

No different then them sitting in the building using the wifi or outside using the wifi.
Old 2018-05-01, 05:16 PM
Veteran

900 metres is a bit far for WiFi, but it is possible if you have enough antenna gain. There are also short haul microwave systems intended for this sort of application, but tend to cost a lot more than WiFi gear.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Old 2018-05-02, 01:49 PM
Veteran

The OP posted links to an American supplier of 5GHz short haul links.
I found a Canadian listing here: https://ubnt.ca/ubnt/578-airfiber-5x-hd-5-ghz.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in