Access Control NOT working on HomeHub 2000 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 2018-02-19, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Access Control NOT working on HomeHub 2000

Hi everybody,

I try to set some scheduling and lockdown using Access Control in my Bell Fibe HomeHub 2000 router, where you are supposed to be able to block a specific device accessing to the internet, and despite that all my settings seems good, the Access Control have NO effect as the devices still have full access to the internet...

Here's the three easy steps I've done :

1. I've enabled the global Access Control into the main menu of the HH2000 (low right corner) and now the dip-switch is enabled.
2. I've gone into the "Network" tab, log in as admin and then find the concerned devices (a mobile , a tablet and computer, all three using Wi-Fi) and set them to "NEVER ACCESS" for testing and save them individually.
3. If I return to the "Network" tab, in the left portion of the screen, I see that the 3 concerned devices now have a lock icon and "NEVER ACCESS" are indicated right under thier name.

I waited several minutes (well, up to an hour), but this setting have absolutely no effect and all devices still have access to the internet.

Is there something I missed? Is there any "known issue" with this feature? Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2018-02-19, 11:49 AM

Bell's support page contains a section on Access Control which may help.

Home Hub 2000 - support, help and troubleshooting from Bell Internet

The only obvious thing I can think of is that maybe the Access Control only works to prevent a device from connecting. Try disabling the WiFi on the device and re-enable it to force the device to reconnect.
Old 2018-02-19, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

That would be a non-sense since basically the point of the Access Control is to be able to schedule the internet access, so if it were the case, you'll need to disable/enable Wi-Fi several times a days based on the schedule...

I'll try to call Bell's technical support later tonight, but the thing with Bell's support is they are very limited on the "advanced" feature of the routeur. I tried to ask some information regarding the media USB port on the HH2000 and they answered that they doesn't provide any support to this feature... duh? Why do they put the feature on the router then?? Maybe I'll have some support with the Access Control I hope.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-02-19 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post immediately before yours.

Old 2018-02-19, 12:19 PM

I thought that "Always block" might work differently than a schedule. The other possibility is that you are testing using something other than port 80 (which is basic internet browsing.)

Quote:
What is Access control
The Access control feature of your Home Hub lets you set the time and day a particular device can access the Internet.

As an example, you can limit the time your children spend online by specifying a day and time when their device (laptop, tablet, etc.) cannot access the Internet.

Note: Access control only blocks ports 80 (http) and 443 (https) so it will not prevent devices from accessing shared files (documents, pictures, videos) on the local network.
Old 2018-02-19, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What is Access control
The Access control feature of your Home Hub lets you set the time and day a particular device can access the Internet.

As an example, you can limit the time your children spend online by specifying a day and time when their device (laptop, tablet, etc.) cannot access the Internet.

Note: Access control only blocks ports 80 (http) and 443 (https) so it will not prevent devices from accessing shared files (documents, pictures, videos) on the local network.
Damn it! It explains everything and it's totally a dumbass feature!! Because it wont block any of the Apple Apps such as iMessage, FaceTime and all that crap that uses a specific port different than HTTP/HTTPS... it wont neither block Skype, etc. When I was telling that it doesn't work, it's because I was testing Apple App on the iPad and on the iMac... not even sure than Netflix app uses standard HTTPS port. What a feature that is totally dumbass and useless in 2018...

Do you think that if I replace the dumb HH2000 router by something more serious like a Linksys router, that the parental control will be more useful?

Thanks!
Old 2018-02-19, 05:40 PM

@SimmZ The simplest solution is to get a Bell Home Hub 3000. Here's another quote from the link I posted earlier:

Access control in the Home Hub modems
Quote:
Home Hub 1000 & 2000
With the Home Hub 1000 and 2000, the Access control will block the ability to browse the Internet. It will not prevent someone from accessing files such as videos and pictures that you may be sharing on your home network.

Home Hub 3000
With the Home Hub 3000, the Access control will block all Internet features, including email, social messaging and Skype.
If you plan to replace the the Bell router with a third-party router, you will likely have problems with Fibe TV. I think there are some older threads in this forum or the Bell internet forum that discuss the issue, but I'm not sure if they are still relevant.

Another alternative is to leave the Bell router in place for TV, turn off WiFi and use a third-party router for internet access. However, there can be problems depending on the third-party router - see:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/194-...ub-3000-a.html
Old 2018-02-19, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much Dr. Dave for this easy fix. I'm glad to see that Bell improved this non-sense feature in the HH3000. As being a Bell's customer for 15 years ago, I am pretty sure the loyalty department will easily accept to upgrade my HH2000 for the HH3000 for free and at the same time I just replaced my living room main TV from a 1080P to a 4K, so I'll request for a free upgrade to the 4K PVR for my living room.

Correct me if I am wrong but the HH3000 upgrade (from HH2000) is not just a plug-and-play router upgrade as the HH3000 now have the "fiber media converter" device built-in, so I'll need a Bell technician for a full re-installation into my house, right? Except if the HH3000 can be easily connected to the existing media converter without the need of removing it...

Thx!
Old 2018-02-20, 09:59 AM

Here's the thread:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/194-...000-modem.html

If you have FTTH, I think an installer will come out and remove the ONT and battery backup. I don't live in Bell territory, so I'm not sure what their current practices are. If you have wireless STBs for Fibe TV, they will also remove the VAP.

The fibre optical interface is a plug-in module, so the HH3000 can be configured for FTTN or FTTH, depending what is available at your location.
Old 2018-02-20, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Yes, forgot to specify that I have FTTH and that I also have a few wireless receivers (HD) and so I have a VAP. So the new HH3000 is a single box installation for everything, from the fiber-converter, to the battery backup, to the wireless AP for the wireless receiver! So I can expect to gain much space into my "tech room" at home where everything is currently installed. What a great news!

Last edited by 57; 2018-02-20 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
Old 2018-02-20, 12:24 PM

If its limiting access to your kids, then I STRONGLY recommend you look at getting one of these: https://kidswifi.com/

It does everything you want and more. Once you get it set up, you change the password on your main house WiFi network to block out the kids, then allow them access to the NEW network created by KidsWifi.

Every house with kids should have one of these! (And it was invented by a bunch of Canadian students at Waterloo!)
Old 2018-02-20, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRick View Post
If its limiting access to your kids, then I STRONGLY recommend you look at getting one of these: https://kidswifi.com/

It does everything you want and more. Once you get it set up, you change the password on your main house WiFi network to block out the kids, then allow them access to the NEW network created by KidsWifi.

Every house with kids should have one of these! (And it was invented by a bunch of Canadian students at Waterloo!)
Thank you very much for great this advice! I work in IT for 17 years and I wasn't aware of this product at all... it definitely need some more advertising (it's rare that I ask for more ads! LOL)! My only concern is how this company is stable and strong for the future, because as any web filtering device/software, the key is frequent updates and software improvements. So if the company die in a year or two for any reason, this device will quickly become unreliable and not useful very quickly. That's my only concern as being IT professional for over 16 years.
Old 2018-02-21, 10:05 AM

Its only $100, take a chance!!

I suspect the device will supported for awhile longer. Best Buy is carrying it now too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in