How are scheduling conflicts identified? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-07, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

How are scheduling conflicts identified?

I know if I schedule a new program and it conflicts with other scheduled events that I'll be notified right away, but what if at the time of scheduling all is well (no conflicts), but at a later date my scheduled program gets moved to a new time slot and then the conflict comes about? What gets recorded and how am I even notified that there is a conflict?

Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-07, 06:18 PM

You aren't notified (as far as my experience offers).

When you look at the SCHEDULED list of shows that will be recorded, you will see that if there's a conflict, then it shows as such.

You can then look for alternate showtimes and take action.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-08, 09:06 AM

If you open up the Bell Fibe app on iOS or Android and look at scheduled recordings, conflicts are listed first (regardless of the day). At least it used to - I haven't seen any recently so I presume we haven't had any conflicts. I miss the history feature we had on the satellite PVR which would tell you if a recording was missed, and why.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-08, 10:51 AM

Unless you have more than six recordings scheduled at the same time, there shouldn't be any conflicts. I believe there are 6 hard drives on the Fibe 300 box.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-08, 01:48 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterug View Post
I believe there are 6 hard drives on the Fibe 300 box.
There are not 6 hard drives, the single hard drive and firmware are simply capable of recording however-many streams based on your location and connection.

For example, on Rogers with the 9865 PVR we can record up to 8 programmes and watch another, although I don't recommend pushing it that hard.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 04:08 PM

Cool why do I have only 3 or 4?

Our PVR will record three HD shows simultaneously, but we cannot watch live HD at the same time, nor On-Demand HD at the same time. Is that abnormal?

Live and let live.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 05:34 PM

Three streams is the limit.

If you watch a stream along with recording three, then that would be four streams - that's over the limit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-11-16, 10:17 AM
Veteran

The limit can vary with the type and speed of service. Fibre to the home allows the most streams. FTTN might vary with available bandwidth but I believe is typically 3.

Quote:
what if at the time of scheduling all is well (no conflicts), but at a later date my scheduled program gets moved to a new time slot and then the conflict comes about?
Can't speak for FibeTV specifically but my experience is that the last timer on the list gets flagged and doen't fire if the conflict is not resolved. If there is a program repeat and the timer is set to record all programs (not just new,) the show will get recorded later.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-02-05, 04:22 PM

I would also say that in practical terms, if the limit is 4 HD shows at once (I think ours is 4 HD + 1 SD tuner), I can't always count on more than 2 shows recording at a time. Because the time is off, most shows get clipped at the end (it feels like a lot though I suspect it's <30sec but sometimes it's important). So all our recordings are set to end +5min (there's nothing shorter), which means if we are recording shows on 2 channels followed by shows on 2 other channels, all 4 HD tuners are tied up. In the past I've had to recording a third show in SD, though that's only possible when the conflict exists at time of recording.

This is still better than Rogers I think, which is incapable of recording the same station on 2 tuners at the same time (I think the Fibe PVR can do that). So if I have an 8-830 show and an 830-9 show recording on the same channel with +5min on each, I get 8-830 and 830-905 with a few seconds' gap in between (often the very very end of the first show is still on the start of the second).

I assume there's nothing to be done about the time thing, which could be the broadcasters' fault for all I know.

=aw
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-02-06, 08:10 AM

I just want to throw out that I noticed a few shows I had recorded "disappearing" from my list. Went through all my timer set ups and found some had somehow changed to keep "1 latest episode" rather than "all episodes until space needed"
I certainly hadn't made this change...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in