Building a small PC receiver - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Actually, it would be one of the worst ways to find out, since I would have to buy a Pi and be stuck with it if it didn't work

Was hoping someone here had one and would let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 09:49 PM
Veteran

Naw, I think that is the wrong attitude to go in to with something new to you...
What you would be stuck with is an awesome learning tool.
Ya might actually learn something. Is that so bad?
Seriously...

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Why don't I quit my job as an accountant and go to medical school, so I can learn something new too...lol

I'm not asking for a learning tool

There are different versions of the Pi, so even if I bought one it may not be the one that works with Bell.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 10:06 PM
Veteran

Trust me, if you bought one, for the whopping $35 plus accessories,
you would want the rpi3, without a doubt.

What is the process of watching Bell Fibe?? What's so big about it?
Not familiar with it. Codecs? Transport is what??

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The problem is that they are using the security-vulnerable/bug ridden Adobe Flash, instead of something like HTML 5. Not sure they do behind the scenes.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 10:27 PM
Veteran

I built a silent (except for a barely audible CPU cooler that barely runs) using an AMD M1 CPU a while back. It's in a nice little mini-ITX case and runs Win10 very well. It was quite inexpensive as well (much cheaper than an Intel NUC at about $200 + third party CPU cooler + RAM.) Unfortunately, AMD discontinued that line of CPU. Tried an Intel NUC with a mobile CPU but it was an absolute disaster in performance and it was overpriced.

Adobe Flash is an issue and it's going away soon. In a year or two all browser support and vendor support will be gone. Then it will be an even worse security issue.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-19, 10:43 PM
Veteran

I can play with an open source implementation of flash on my Linux pc, essentially what mythweb is doing when you watch a recorded video over the web with mythweb (talking MythTV here) and the pi is running Linux. The pi3 can also run windows.
Though i can't say I ever have.

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 01:56 AM
Veteran

I tried playing some online video in FF and Chrome on my RPi2. It was very tedious and pretty much a total failure. For starters, the web browsers are very slow to start and to load pages. I don't have access to Fibe TV so I tried Rogers On Demand. That was a total failure due to incompatibility. Tried Crackle, which failed to load movies. Tried YouTube which sort of worked but was plagued by stuttering and pauses. The problem is probably due to the slow speed of the SD card that appears to be bringing disk I/O to a crawl. It's a class 10 card but probably not the fastest available. The CPU and other resources appeared to be ok.

I bought the Pi2 to watch TV and videos with Kodi and that works fine with the RPi KODI distro. Unfortunately, KODI won't work with Fibe TV or most streaming services. It will work with streaming services that are supported by a media server such as Plex but, again, you won't see Fibe TV on Plex.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 07:41 PM
Veteran

I think if you are 1/2 satisfied with rpi2, you'll be pleasantly surprised with rpi3.
By comparison I can't go back to rpi2 having been using rpi3 for over a year.
My rpi2 was converted to a router, after installing LEDE on it.
Works well so far, but haven't connected it to the internet yet. On the TODO list.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 11:35 PM
Veteran

The RPi3 looks like an impressive upgrade from the RPi2. Not sure if it's enough to make me want to use it for browser video though. The RPi2 is just too painful to make the RPi3 look appealing. I would like to see an option for a faster disk drive, like an NVMe connector. It would probably really push up the price though.

I considered using the RPi2 as a firewall/router. The lack of gigabit speeds on the LAN or USB ports made me look elsewhere. Not that I need those speeds for internet right now but I still had concerns over the USB to LAN adapter performance and overall throughput. It would do in a pinch.

In the meantime, it's an interesting hobby box.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-20, 11:50 PM
Veteran

exactly, one can't expect much for a $35 price point. But it does the job for me..
I don't use it for a web browser. One thing ya might try is configure it to be it's own DNS server and use google as a backup.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-10-21, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Back to my original question Does anyone have a raspberry Pi or similar device and have Bell Fibe service. Could you please test if it works? Thanks!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-07-16, 09:14 PM

I loaded Raspian on to a Pi3 (original Pi3, not the newer one) and tried to watch Bell Fibe through Chromium, the frame drop rate was very high. Not watchable.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 02:37 PM

Nvidia Shield supports the Bell Fibe TV app.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in