Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

fibetv is not 1080p

26K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  elyk 
#1 ·
Hi - maybe already known to everyone - my apologies if so.
But news to me: today I discovered most high def bell fibe tv programming is not 1080p.

How do I know this... long story.
But you can prove it to yourself if you wish, it will cost you 6$ ( a high def movie rental).

steps:
1) connect your STB with COMPONENT cables to your tv. (yes component RGB)
2) tune a high def channel, verify you can see the picture
3) rent a high def movie
4) watch as the picture disappears
5) now connect the STB with HDMI
6) notice you can now watch the movie you rented

what we can surmise:

Movie rentals on fibetv are streamed at 1080p, a resolution NOT supported by component cables.
However ALL other programming is 1080i (or less).

anyhow, not a show stopper but still interesting. Despite Bell's marketing machine, their definition of 200+ high def channels is subjective :)

other theories?

See less See more
#4 ·
The overwhelming majority, if not all, OTA and specialty broadcast channels on Bell TV BDUs are 720p. They get around the CRTC ruling that prevents transcoding by the BDU by having the broadcasters supply their signals in 720p format. This is Bell's so called "standard" for their TV services (and one reason I prefer not to subscribe to Bell.)

PPV and other paid programming may be in 1080p or 4k formats. That's a "feature" of premium content. Apart from the fact that many TVs are incompatible, there is no reason why Bell could not, for example, provide a 1080p or 4k version of TMN and TMN VOD. It's unlikely they will because they would rather charge $6 or more a movie for the same content.

#7 ·
The overwhelming majority, if not all, OTA and specialty broadcast channels on Bell TV BDUs are 720p. They get around the CRTC ruling that prevents transcoding by the BDU by having the broadcasters supply their signals in 720p format. This is Bell's so called "standard" for their TV services (and one reason I prefer not to subscribe to Bell.)

Please note the following local OTA stations are in 1080i format. Your statement suggests that all OTA are 720P.

2.1 WGRZ
4.1 VIVB
9.1 CFTO
11.1 CHCH
17.1 WNED
19.1 TVO
36.1 CTS
40.1 CJMT
41.1 CIII
47.1 CFMT
57.1 CITY TV

#5 ·
Bell does provide a 4k TSN channel to Fibe customers and competitors like Rogers. Unfortunately there is limited 4k content so far.

The broadcast industry hasn't changed in the last 10 years. All HD channels are either 1080i or 720p regardless of your TV provider.

#6 ·
My last post was a little off. I had too much glare on my tablet which was in power save mode. I thought ExDilbert was talking about TSN not TMN.

The CRTC won't let Bell Media add any more channels to the TMN multiplex, but they might be able to get away with adding an additional format of one of the existing channels as long as the schedule was identical. They would have to negotiate with the content owners to buy the 1080p or 4K versions of the programs and pass those costs on to the BDUs. I'm not sure if any BDUs can deliver a 1080p channel as none exist right now.

Bell Fibe already provides a lot of 4K programs on Discovery channel that are delivered on demand. That is easier to do because they shoot all new projects in Canada in 4K and control the rights.

#10 ·
Even though there is no theoretical limit on component video resolution, it's use is typically limited to standard video resolutions. While it's true that component video does not support HDCP, it is only an issue if the broadcaster or content owner require that the component signal be blocked or downgraded.

Many studios and broadcasters would prefer that all HD resolution component video signals be either blocked or downgraded to 480p on consumer equipment. That's due to the possibility of recording the signal. That is not always done on BDU equipment. I've seen 1080i and 720p on BDU equipment component video. That's not to say that higher resolutions won't be made available but it's unlikely for two reasons. One is the contractual studio restriction placed on using higher resolutions without HDCP. The other is that component video outputs are being phased out on consumer video equipment. This makes it less likely that new equipment supporting higher video resolutions over component will be made available.

#11 ·
Your statement suggests that all OTA are 720P.
My statements suggest that Bell obtains them in 720p by separate means for use on their BDU systems. A Bell spokesperson has stated publicly that they use 720p for HD broadcast channels and anecdotal evidence has been posted on Digital Home that shows this is the case. Since then, 1080p and 4k have emerged as formats for VOD and PPV content.

#13 ·
Please read the link in posts 2 and 8. Although many channels are 1080i, Bell changes "broadcast channels" to 720P. Some original material is better than others which may manifest itself in what is perceived to be better picture quality from certain channels or programming.

Some of the programming now originates as 4K and this can often look quite good, even after being downconverted by Bell. For example F1 races on TSN.

#14 ·
1080p tv showing 60i??

I have a Samsung 1080p led tv, Yamaha avr and bell fibe receiver (new to bell) all connected with hdmi cables. I set the resolution on the bell receiver to 1080p, did the test and it went well so I saved the settings as instructed. I noticed the other day when the tv comes on it shows 1920x1080/60i on the screen. The picture looks great but I am leery that the 1080p tv may not be showing 1080p. Is there a setting I have missed along the line?

#15 ·
First of all, the TV has no choice but to show its native resolution of 1080P.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-...ative-display-resolution-vs-input-format.html

Secondly, all broadcast channels that Fibe has are sent out to the STB as 720P, so I recommend you try that setting - see FAQ below, to minimize the number of conversions and have the conversion take place in the "best device".

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

Lastly, there are some on-demand programmes available on Fibe as 1080P, however, I believe the STB sends those as 1080P regardless of the setting, although someone else would need to confirm that. Perhaps you need to change the output to 1080P for OD programming - can't remember, don't have Fibe myself. Here's another FAQ on Upconversion:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/87543-faq-upconversion.html

#17 ·
Is that when the TV is first turned on (without Fibe running) or is it after Fibe is on and you've been watching a while. Sometimes when a TV is first turned on (and not receiving any signal) it can show just about any signal - even say 480i?

Are you pressing the "info" button on the TV remote to show the incoming signal? Make sure that Fibe and the AVR are on for a while before checking the incoming signal to the TV. Do you have any other devices like a Blu-ray player where you can change the settings and confirm those on the TV?

If the TV doesn't have an "info" option, then usually you can see the incoming signal displayed by changing inputs or some other button on the remote? The format may only be displayed for a few seconds when you change inputs. What happens if you connect Fibe directly to the TV, leaving out the AVR?

#18 ·
It occurs at every time I have checking. Just checked it and tv has been on for over a couple of hours. Yes, I am using the info button for the tv. I checked a Blu-ray disk in the Blu-ray player and I was able to change resolution to 1080p from Auto. TV info button showed a change to 24p but still didn't show 1080p input which is weird.

57, the other thing I noticed, that may be of importance, is that the hdmi cable is connected to hdmi3 on this tv. The other thing I noticed is that the input is identified as HDMI-CEC. Could that be putting restrictions on input resolution?

#19 ·
Try a different input and check the specs of the inputs in your TV's operating manual. Some inputs may be limited in terms of format/resolution. Download the operating manual from your manufacturer's website as this can make searching for things like "HDMI" or "format" easier.

Turn off HDMI-CEC unless you absolutely need it. See the FAQ below, item 4.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/71112-faq-hdmi-comments-issues.html

What's the exact model number of your Samsung TV?

#23 ·
I'm confused. In post 16 you say your box is sending 720P. The TV should not be showing a 1080i signal as you stated in your first post (14). Have you gone into the settings for the Fibe Box and set it to 720P, or are you still set at 1080P (or perhaps 1080i). In my post 15 I recommended 720P for Fibe... If you set 1080P in Fibe, perhaps it sends 1080i when the incoming signal is 720P as discussed in post 14.

If you're set at 720P, that's what you should see on the TV's input signal. Try the BD player at 720P, then try the Fibe at 720P directly connected to the TV.

#24 ·
57 said:
Have you gone into the settings for the Fibe Box and set it to 720P, or are you still set at 1080P (or perhaps 1080i). In my post 15 I recommended 720P for Fibe... If you set 1080P in Fibe, perhaps it sends 1080i when the incoming signal is 720P as discussed in post 14.
Yep, you're correct.

When the FIBE box is set to 1080p, it outputs 1080i when the program material is not 1080P (which is usually the case unless you play an on-demand 1080p movie).

The normal FIBE material is 720p, so when it sees the setting of 1080p in the settings, it outputs 1080i. You don't want this. If the FIBE box is set to 720p, then it will always output 720p.

I find the scaler in my receiver superior to the scaler in my TV, so I have the receiver upscale the 720p it receives from the FIBE box to 1080p. This connects to my 1080p TV and passes through without any more jiggery-pokey done to the signal.

elyk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.