Best WiFi Range Extender for Bell HomeHub 2000?? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes
  • 2 Post By SimmZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-08-25, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Question Best WiFi Range Extender for Bell HomeHub 2000??

Since I am on Bell Fibe TV/Internet/Phone with their HomeHub 2000 (1 year ago), I found the wireless network coverage very poor if I compare with my previous setup where I have an old Netgear N300 router with the Bell Sympatico DSL modem. No matter if I switch from the 5 Ghz to the 2.4 Ghz band, the coverage is narrower than before. For example, I barely have a wireless connection (very unstable from 25% to 50%) on my patio outside which is about 20 feet from the HH2000 accros a few wood walls and I had like a 90%+ stable signal with my old Netgear setup.

Is there any approved/recommended WiFi Range Extender (repeater) that would be working fine and seamlessly with the HomeHub 2000? Otherwise I assume the other option should be to switch the HH2000 into a bridged mode and use a high performance external wireless access point?

I am just looking for the easiest and seamless way to improve my WiFi signal. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-08-25, 10:25 AM
Veteran

Any extender that complies with the WiFi specs should work. You can also turn off WiFi on the hub and use an external access point. You could also, as you mentioned, put it in bridge mode and use a separate router. Your choice.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-08-25, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I just had a quick call with Bell Fibe (internet) technical support and they told me that upgrading from the HomeHub 2000 to the new HomeHub 3000 should definitely improve a lot my wireless signal. They wanted to charge me for the upgrade, I think it's somewhere around 75$, but the technician told me I can place a complaint to the loyalty department to get a free upgrade...

Do you guy have a better wireless performance with the new HH3000?? That's the point...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-08-25, 07:17 PM
Veteran

A lot of the issue with ISP supplied routers and wifi is location. For many people, placing the router in the basement is good for the ISP but bad for wifi. That's due to floors, ducts and wiring blocking signals. It's best to put the router or an access point in a central location in the house.

The HH3000 will have better wifi reception than the HH2000. If it's in a bad location, it still won't be optimal. The Netgear N300 router can probably be configured as an access point. Access points need to be connected with a network cable but they also provide better speeds than a repeater. However, there are much better routers and access points available than the N300 nowadays.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-08-25, 08:54 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I have a separate access point that's mounted roughly in the middle of my condo. Works well.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-08-26, 12:41 AM
Rookie

How to extend wifi range

I have seen that we can extend a range of wifi by using 2 routers. How can we do that? please share me any link or tutorial.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-08-27, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
A lot of the issue with ISP supplied routers and wifi is location. For many people, placing the router in the basement is good for the ISP but bad for wifi. That's due to floors, ducts and wiring blocking signals. It's best to put the router or an access point in a central location in the house.

The HH3000 will have better wifi reception than the HH2000. If it's in a bad location, it still won't be optimal. The Netgear N300 router can probably be configured as an access point. Access points need to be connected with a network cable but they also provide better speeds than a repeater. However, there are much better routers and access points available than the N300 nowadays.
Thank you very much for your suggestion. As working myself in IT/networking for 16 years ago, I am totally agree with your suggestion and you are right that my HH2000 is located in my basement actually, but it's more or less like my best option at first glance because my house is definitely full of high-tech gadget and this is where my IT ROOM is located where I have a W2012R2 server and many NAS storage device here, in addition to my home security system, IP cameras system and of course, my Bell fiber (FTH) entry point is there too.

But the thing is this network setup isn't new as I said and I removed my 5-6 years old Netgear N300 router and put the HH2000 at the exact same place. With the Netgear N300 router I have full (100% signal) coverage of my 2 stories house and also a 80-90% signal coverage of my entire 1 acre lot outside! My house is a modern construction (only 7 years old), all wood structure with no steel ducts or other similar signal blocking structures, this is probably why I had that much coverage with my old Netgear N300 router. But also because of the inclination of the ground where my house is built, my basement is only 33% buried, this allow me to have very large windows in the basement and a lot of natural light and this is also help on signal as well!

To be honest, the point of my question was that I first looked for a fast, easy and "plug and play" way to improve my HH2000 performance in a minute, but it look like it would not very possible or optimal... so here's my plan : I am part of a beta-testing program at Linksys company and they sent me test units of some of their new router once of twice a year and I have in hand right now a Linksys EA7500 router and I think I should be able to run a power circuit and an ethernet cable into the ceiling of my stairwell between my basement and my 1st floor and then wall mount the EA7500 in bridged mode with the HH2000 and then close the WiFi signal on the HH2000 and use it as wired router only... I think this new setup will improve a lot my wireless coverage and overall performance as the EA7500 is one of a hell fast router with HUGE external antenna...

The only thing is that is a pretty hard and complex install considering I have to run wires into closed wall which is a huge job, but the ceiling isn't closed in my IT ROOM who's also located next to my stairwell, this is why I am pretty sure to be able to run wires into the wall betweens.

Sound like a good plan?
lexvid and Norman_C like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-08-27, 01:17 PM
Veteran

Sound optimal.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2018-09-12, 10:35 PM

Angry Bell just do their business

I think all internet companies in Canada they give us the free modern first time, it looks like powerful and lot of functions but the truth is the signal always weak, if you want improve u have to buy or upgrade the extender or modern or even the plan, with price as well. So i think they are doing their business on us. Because in my country, i dont have to waste my money that much, just buy a cheap modern outside market then connect my self, it even better than stuffs here. The signal can go through multiple slabs of concrete and thick layer of bricks, not like here just wood and thin composition layer but the signal cant even. So frustrated. In here they just do **** marketing and scam on customer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in